Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A Literal Adam And Eve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Literal Adam And Eve?

It seems that though Eve is called the mother of all living, and that in Adam all men died, and sin entered the world though one man, that many Christian don't believe in a literal Adam and Eve. How can that be - it would undermine the whole story of sin and redemption.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    It seems that though Eve is called the mother of all living, and that in Adam all men died, and sin entered the world though one man, that many Christian don't believe in a literal Adam and Eve. How can that be - it would undermine the whole story of sin and redemption.
    It depends on the view. Theologians and thinkers have theorized all manner of interpretations on the literalness, or lack thereof, of Adam and Eve. So, it'll probably depend on the exact theory you're asking about to see how people get to that particular view, and how it correlates with other doctrines. And not everyone accepts the Augustinian conception of Original Sin, so there's that to contend with as well.

Comment

Always go back to the Cross.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        It depends on the view. Theologians and thinkers have theorized all manner of interpretations on the literalness, or lack thereof, of Adam and Eve. So, it'll probably depend on the exact theory you're asking about to see how people get to that particular view, and how it correlates with other doctrines. And not everyone accepts the Augustinian conception of Original Sin, so there's that to contend with as well.
        What about Paul's view of sin - in Adam we all died? And that sin entered the world through one man? Those seem pretty explicit.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Always go back to the Cross.
          Of course, but Paul ties Christ directly to Adam (the first Adam, Christ the second Adam), that the sin of Adam that infected us all. No sin no need for the cross.

Comment

Of course, but Paul ties Christ directly to Adam (the first Adam, Christ the second Adam), that the sin of Adam that infected us all. No sin no need for the cross.
            Understood - there are parts of the Bible I don't understand or cannot explain, so I always go back to the cross. That part I get. And I think it's pretty self evident that we are all sinners, regardless of from whence it came.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Understood - there are parts of the Bible I don't understand or cannot explain, so I always go back to the cross. That part I get. And I think it's pretty self evident that we are all sinners, regardless of from whence it came.
              Except that brings into the question the trustfulness of Scripture. If the Bible is wrong about how sin came into the world perhaps it is wrong about there being sin in the first place. It is evident that we do some horrible things, but calling it sin (a violation of God's law) is a theological claim, a Biblical claim.

Comment

Except that brings into the question the trustfulness of Scripture.
                Or my understanding of it, or the correct translation of it, or both...

If the Bible is wrong about how sin came into the world perhaps it is wrong about there being sin in the first place. It is evident that we do some horrible things, but calling it sin (a violation of God's law) is a theological claim, a Biblical claim.
                The ten commandments are clear what sin is, then Jesus even narrowed it down to "the big 2". He obviously believed there was such a thing as sin, and that there were commandments to be obeyed.

Unless, of course, we don't want to believe the Bible about who Jesus is and what He said.
                Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-27-2019, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Or my understanding of it, or the correct translation of it, or both...

The ten commandments are clear what sin is, then Jesus even narrowed it down to "the big 2". He obviously believed there was such a thing as sin, and that there were commandments to be obeyed.

Unless, of course, we don't want to believe the Bible about who Jesus is and what He said.
                  The guy who has Adam listed as his ancestor?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    The guy who has Adam listed as his ancestor?
                    The arguments I've seen don't claim Adam never existed, but that there was some form of human life before him.

Comment

The arguments I've seen don't claim Adam never existed, but that there was some form of human life before him.
                      So you believe in a literal Adam.

Comment

So you believe in a literal Adam.
                        Until shown otherwise, I do.

Comment

How do you know you have a correct understanding of it? Or perhaps an incorrect translation?

Comment

How do you know you have a correct understanding of it? Or perhaps an incorrect translation?
                            I honestly don't worry about it - I've had my own experience with Christ transforming my life, and just last week, His extraordinary turn-around of my own adult daughter after she spent the last 20+ years slopping hogs.

I always go back to the Cross, and Jesus crucified, buried and risen again. If I'm wrong about some of the stuff in the Old Testament, I'll stand before the Lord guilty on that count.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123
                              You haven't been paying much attention then. No historical Adam is a pretty common view.
                              Maybe I just don't run in those circles.

Comment