Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Doubts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubts

I have a prayer request. Lately, I've been doubting my faith and it isn't intellectual based doubts but the kind "what if." I never wanted to have these types of doubts but one day they started coming into my mind. It has caused some depression and like a tug of war of sorts between wanting to believe and if this is true? Could you pray for me and give me any kind of advice you might be able to muster. Some days are better than others but I really don't know what to do next. I don't want to spend the rest of my life with this predicament.

Thanks,
    Eric

Hey, Eric

First of all,

Secondly, did you ever notice that, when we're physically hungry, we always manage to find food?

But when we're spiritually hungry, we so often manage to avoid the table altogether?

I'd encourage you to find a body of believers where you an be fed and encouraged.

Meanwhile, I'm praying for you. Anything specific that's a problem?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Hey, Eric

First of all,

Secondly, did you ever notice that, when we're physically hungry, we always manage to find food?

But when we're spiritually hungry, we so often manage to avoid the table altogether?

I'd encourage you to find a body of believers where you an be fed and encouraged.

Meanwhile, I'm praying for you. Anything specific that's a problem?
      I am going to church where I do feel fed. It's these "what if" questions. They drive me insane.

Comment

First, CP already gave an excellent answer. Do that first.

Write down your questions. Assume there are answers (this is a method - not an assertion). Go find them.

We tend to feed our doubts and starve our faith when we get caught up in doubt. Meaning we tend to indulge the doubt - seeking affirmation of that doubt - but we fail to seek real answers, sometimes when we think we are being 'objective'. Putting things in writing let's you review them - how good a job did I do hunting for an answer that would support my faith?
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Revvy1337 View Post
          I am going to church where I do feel fed. It's these "what if" questions. They drive me insane.
          Have you tried talking to the Pastor? Having doubts is not a sin.

I used to have doubts. Know what really helped?

Getting involved in the actual work. Not just sitting around thinking, wondering and pondering, but "doing". James 1:22 - But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

And, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying "get so busy you don't have time to worry". At the same time you're getting involved with the "doing", start your search for the answers.

First, you gotta know the questions.

Make a list of things about which you doubt. An actual written down list, then pray for God's wisdom in finding the answers.

Some BASIC apologetics might help. I like Paul Little's Know Why You Believe and Know What You Believe.

Satan would prefer, no doubt, that you just stew in this doubt - Jesus, I'm certain, would prefer you diligently seek Him.

(And, yeah, a lot of this Teal already said, so you're getting a double whammy for free!)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think Paul addressed the biggest "what if":
            Source: 1 Cor 15

12 Now if Christ is preached that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen. 14 And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty. 15 Yes, and we are found false witnesses of God, because we have testified of God that He raised up Christ, whom He did not raise up—if in fact the dead do not rise. 16 For if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not risen. 17 And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins! 18 Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.

© Copyright Original Source

I find it more useful to focus on "what is" than "what if". When I focus on "what if" it is extraordinarily easy to wander off into vain speculations, so I try to get back to "what is."
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              I think Paul addressed the biggest "what if":
              Source: 1 Cor 15

12 Now if Christ is preached that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen. 14 And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty. 15 Yes, and we are found false witnesses of God, because we have testified of God that He raised up Christ, whom He did not raise up—if in fact the dead do not rise. 16 For if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not risen. 17 And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins! 18 Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.

© Copyright Original Source

I find it more useful to focus on "what is" than "what if". When I focus on "what if" it is extraordinarily easy to wander off into vain speculations, so I try to get back to "what is."
              Which brings up a vital point, and I always go here first in a face to face discussion....

OK, how do you feel about your relationship with Christ (or however one would word it)... Is your Salvation in question?

Comment

"For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Doubts as a teen are why I became a theology nerd! But you don't have to be an apologetic nerd to get rid of doubts. Remember, emotions are the caboose and well, what everyone else said!
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment