Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Original sin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Let's start with that one --- other than Jesus referring to this...

Matthew 23:37 "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling.
    Luke 13:34 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, just as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not have it!

...about Himself, where is God referred to this way?
    Psalm 91?

Comment

I think that was more like a Theophany.
      Even so, that passage says "you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live." That warning would make no sense if there was literally nothing possible to see.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Let's start with that one --- other than Jesus referring to this...

Matthew 23:37 "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling.
        Luke 13:34 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, just as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not have it!

...about Himself, where is God referred to this way?
        I'm not sure I quite understand the question. Jesus is a person in the Godhead. Ben Witherington goes into this a bit in Psalms Old and New: Exegesis, Intertextuality, and Hermeneutics
        "Jesus has modified the thought in the psalm, which does not depict Yahweh as a female creature, so that on Jesus's lips it now reads "Jerusalem, Jerusalem . . . how often have I desired to gather your children as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!" Contrast this with "his pinions under his wings" in the psalm. This is because Jesus is presenting himself as Wisdom/Hokma, a female figure here, in contrast to Yahweh, a male figure."

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Even so, that passage says "you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live." That warning would make no sense if there was literally nothing possible to see.
          Wait, what? You actually believe that God (sans the incarnation) is a physical being?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            This is because Jesus is presenting himself as Wisdom/Hokma, a female figure here..."[/indent]
            Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: DesertBerean

Blasphemy not allowed even as a joke.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by DesertBerean; 09-09-2019, 10:12 AM.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Wait, what? You actually believe that God (sans the incarnation) is a physical being?
              I believe He has a "form" as Jesus suggested. Whatever that means, I don't think it means that God is formless.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Edited by a Moderator

Trans is confusion about one's gender. Before the incarnation, Jesus, as part of the Godhead, had no gender. That's why this whole "God is really a male/female" is off on the wrong foot. We start imagining that God the Father is a man with a white beard in white robes sitting on a literal throne in the clouds someplace, and there's another literal throne on his right hand that Jesus, the man, sits. It's a wrongheaded conception of the whole deal. God is spirit. He doesn't have a penis or a vagina. Both men and women were made in his image, and that image isn't a physical one, it's a spiritual one.
                Last edited by DesertBerean; 09-06-2019, 11:54 PM.

Comment

No, I misspoke pretty badly. There are too many NT Scriptures that maintain that God is spirit in form. I believe these Old Testament manifestations in physical form nonetheless did represent God as opposed to being written off as anthromorphisms.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                    I believe He has a "form" as Jesus suggested. Whatever that means, I don't think it means that God is formless.
                    While I have no doubt that God can take on form, isn't spirit, by nature, formless? There's something slightly... Mormon about the idea that the spirit of God has physicality or form. Did God have some sort of appearance, form, or materiality before the creation of the universe?

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      No, I misspoke pretty badly. There are too many NT Scriptures that maintain that God is spirit in form. I believe these Old Testament manifestations in physical form nonetheless did represent God as opposed to being written off as anthromorphisms.
                      Hmm. I have no doubt that God can take on, say, the appearance of an angel, or can, in some sense "show" his glory. I'm not sure that's the same as saying that God literally possess those same physical characteristics, which is what I meant in post #116.

Comment

While I have no doubt that God can take on form, isn't spirit, by nature, formless? There's something slightly... Mormon about the idea that the spirit of God has physicality or form. Did God have some sort of appearance, form, or materiality before the creation of the universe?
                        Jesus said that no one has seen His form. It doesn't sound like some arbitrary form that God may or may not take, but something inherent. And I'm not sure why spirits can't have an intrinsic form, perhaps like angels? But not material or physical like us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Psalm 91?
                          I think that's so obviously metaphorical...
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hmm. I have no doubt that God can take on, say, the appearance of an angel, or can, in some sense "show" his glory. I'm not sure that's the same as saying that God literally possess those same physical characteristics, which is what I meant in post #116.
                            The distinction between different body parts within, say, a theophany, would thus be consigned to an extended metaphor, which might end up being the best way to systematize this passage with various NT passages, but it still seems unsatisfying, like the common tack of writing off all references to God's emotions (an extended number) as anthromorphisms in order to protect Aquinas's view of the dispassionate nature of God.

Comment

Trans is confusion about one's gender. Before the incarnation, Jesus, as part of the Godhead, had no gender. That's why this whole "God is really a male/female" is off on the wrong foot. We start imagining that God the Father is a man with a white beard in white robes sitting on a literal throne in the clouds someplace, and there's another literal throne on his right hand that Jesus, the man, sits. It's a wrongheaded conception of the whole deal. God is spirit. He doesn't have a penis or a vagina. Both men and women were made in his image, and that image isn't a physical one, it's a spiritual one.
                              I was joking...

Comment

I think that's so obviously metaphorical...
                                So is saying that God is our father, though.

Comment