Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Original sin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Did you just assume his gender? er, I mean ziz gender?
    I did - why else would he support NAMBLA?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Outside of the incarnation, God is neither male nor female. He doesn't have a gender. God is spirit, and is described with both feminine and masculine characteristics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Outside of the incarnation, God is neither male nor female. He doesn't have a gender. God is spirit, and is described with both feminine and masculine characteristics.
        The Holy Spirit, of course, is always referred to in the male gender, but your point is taken.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Outside of the incarnation, God is neither male nor female. He doesn't have a gender. God is spirit, and is described with both feminine and masculine characteristics.
          What are you talking about - I saw His picture right here!

download.jpg
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            The Holy Spirit, of course, is always referred to in the male gender, but your point is taken.
            It's not God the mother, but God the Father...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Eh, unless you identify the Holy Spirit with Wisdom, which was often personified in the feminine in the Old Testament.

Comment

Eh, unless you identify the Holy Spirit with Wisdom, which was often personified in the feminine in the Old Testament.
                OK, in the New Testament, the Holy Spirit is always referred to in the male gender. And, yes, Wisdom, particularly in Proverbs, is "she". I don't know how closely I'd tie that entity with the Holy Spirit. Might make for a good discussion.

Comment

The fact is God is largely referred to as male. After all it is God the Father.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                    It's not God the mother, but God the Father...
                    And Jesus used the "earthly father" analogy when discussing the Heavenly Father, so, yeah...

Comment

HE is God the Father.

Comment

So? God is also referred to a hen that gathers her children under her wings. God is referred to as a woman crying in labor over her people. Outside of the incarnation, God doesn't have physical characteristics, those things that we think of when we think of "male." He's a spirit. We call him things like "father," and use pronouns like "he," because while he has both male and female characteristics, is both a protector and nurturer, it's only practical for us to refer to God in some sort of gendered language.

Comment

OK, in the New Testament, the Holy Spirit is always referred to in the male gender. And, yes, Wisdom, particularly in Proverbs, is "she". I don't know how closely I'd tie that entity with the Holy Spirit. Might make for a good discussion.
                          I believe this is something the certain early church fathers discussed quite a bit. Might be interesting to see if OBP has a take on it.

Comment

So? God is also referred to a hen that gathers her children under her wings.....
                            Let's start with that one --- other than Jesus referring to this...

Matthew 23:37 "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling.
                            Luke 13:34 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, just as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not have it!

...about Himself, where is God referred to this way?

Comment

God doesn't have physical characteristics
                              Yes he does. Moses was allowed to see His back, for instance.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                Yes he does. Moses was allowed to see His back, for instance.
                                I think that was more like a Theophany.

Comment