Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Children of US service members born abroad no longer automatically citizens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children of US service members born abroad no longer automatically citizens

Trump has said he wants to end birthright citizenship, and indeed, he appears to actually be pursuing that aim now.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...R4f8E6D0Tu1bFY
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

[swear word]
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Any chance this has something to do with his longtime feud with John McCain, you all think?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Here's a clarification I found. I'll have to hunt down the article in a minute...

USCIS issued a clarification to the rule later Wednesday, explaining that the new rule would only affect three categories of people: Children of non-U.S. citizens adopted by U.S. citizen government employees or service members; children of non-U.S. citizen government employees or service members who were naturalized after the child's birth; and children of U.S. citizens who do not meet residency requirements.

Ha, here: https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...rseas-will-not
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

No doubt, it will be easier to go through naturalisation proceedings if the child is white.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

The citizenship to that of the father (wherever the father may be living) has been status conferred through common law. So, the removal of this right of citizenship may not be an option readily done by Congress, even less by an act of the President.

I can't tell what the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 (Immigration and Nationality Act Sections 320 and 322) offers, beyond just a reaffirmation of the common law. If memory serves, the child who doesn't return to abide in the United States but has children, those children would not have automatic citizenship.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...0-322-INA.html

Maybe the code seeks to affirm and document the automatic citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
              Here's a clarification I found. I'll have to hunt down the article in a minute...

USCIS issued a clarification to the rule later Wednesday, explaining that the new rule would only affect three categories of people: Children of non-U.S. citizens adopted by U.S. citizen government employees or service members; children of non-U.S. citizen government employees or service members who were naturalized after the child's birth; and children of U.S. citizens who do not meet residency requirements.

Ha, here: https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...rseas-will-not
              Ah. Things make more sense now.

Comment

Is this a clarification of intended scope or actually in the text?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  Is this a clarification of intended scope or actually in the text?
                  Looking at the Kopan link, it seems like the Business Insider misinterpreted the decision.

Comment

What Desert Berean said. It doesn't affect Birthright citizenship. It would affect naturalized US citizens living abroad who do not have any recent US residency and then have children. Those children could still become US citizens but would have to fill out additional paperwork and establish residency of their own.

I was born in Germany to a father who was in the Army and my mother who was a German citizen. I actually had dual citizenship until I turned 18, then I had to "choose" USA or Germany. I chose USA. I hear now they don't even make you choose and you can keep dual citizenship.

Yeah this news went around like a wildfire yesterday, with the MSM making a mountain out of a molehill.

I have to give some props to CNN who actually made an effort to be accurate and clarify it somewhat:

The rule appears to primarily affect the children of naturalized US citizens serving in the armed forces who have not lived in the US for a required period of time, a relatively small number -- estimated to be approximately 100 annually, according to a Defense Department official.
                    It does not impact anyone born in the United States.
                    US citizenship can be acquired a few ways, including being born in the country. Children born abroad can acquire citizenship through their US citizen parents either at birth or before the age of 18.

While the latest policy guidance doesn't make anyone ineligible for citizenship, it appears to narrow how children abroad can gain citizenship. ...Acting USCIS Director Ken Cuccinelli said on Twitter that the new policy "does NOT impact birthright citizenship."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/28/polit...ule/index.html

Although it does seem to add more paperwork to every US citizen who has children born overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                      No doubt, it will be easier to go through naturalisation proceedings if the child is white.
                      Is that your hope?
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        Racist.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Is that your hope?
                          I am frequently amazed at the lack of self-awareness of our lefties here. The very thing they accuse us of are their defining qualities...
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            I am frequently amazed at the lack of self-awareness of our lefties here. The very thing they accuse us of are their defining qualities...
                            Obvious trolling is obvious.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment