Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Willing to Share Struggles with Sin

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Willing to Share Struggles with Sin

One of my friends has been attending a church for several months. He noticed that no one in the church talks openly about their struggles with sin. He talks to people before and after the service. He has been attending different social events and Bible studies at the church. Moreover, the pastor does not talk about his personal struggles with sin from the pulpit. He said that when people don't talk about their struggles with sin, they are putting up a barrier between themselves and other people. They are not having fellowship to the degree that they could have it. Moreover, some people might get the wrong impression that they are trying to hide something.

What do you think about this? Should a pastor to share openly his struggles with sin from the pulpit? Should everyone else be open to sharing their struggles?

I agree that people should be open to talking about their struggles with sin. People should have nothing to hide.

Just because you don't hear someone talking about their struggles with sin, does not mean that they never do. Some people only share their struggles with a close friend or with family members. Others share about the intimate details of their lives in certain situations.

God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It can quite often become a pissing contest for who either struggles the most or has sinned the "biggest". Many see talking about their sin as glorifying their sin. It's a rather difficult thing to adequately discuss without keeping it in the proper frame of mind.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    One of my friends has been attending a church for several months. He noticed that no one in the church talks openly about their struggles with sin. He talks to people before and after the service. He has been attending different social events and Bible studies at the church. Moreover, the pastor does not talk about his personal struggles with sin from the pulpit. He said that when people don't talk about their struggles with sin, they are putting up a barrier between themselves and other people. They are not having fellowship to the degree that they could have it. Moreover, some people might get the wrong impression that they are trying to hide something.

What do you think about this? Should a pastor to share openly his struggles with sin from the pulpit? Should everyone else be open to sharing their struggles?

I agree that people should be open to talking about their struggles with sin. People should have nothing to hide.

Just because you don't hear someone talking about their struggles with sin, does not mean that they never do. Some people only share their struggles with a close friend or with family members. Others share about the intimate details of their lives in certain situations.
    Sounds like you and your friend just want some gossip.

We should confess our sins but to people who know us, not out in public. An exception would be if you are a pastor and your sin is affecting your relationship with your flock.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Moderated By: Chaotic Void

Thread has been moved to an appropriate location

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Mercenary Maxim 37: There is No 'Overkill.' There is merely 'Open Fire,' and 'I need to Reload.'

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Sounds like you and your friend just want some gossip.

We should confess our sins but to people who know us, not out in public. An exception would be if you are a pastor and your sin is affecting your relationship with your flock.
    We don't intend to find gossip. I think my friend's point was that there should be nothing to hide.

I don't think people should share all of their sins to anyone they meet. If they are meeting with a counselor, they can share their struggles or if they have a close friend, they can share them.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    We don't intend to find gossip. I think my friend's point was that there should be nothing to hide.

I don't think people should share all of their sins to anyone they meet. If they are meeting with a counselor, they can share their struggles or if they have a close friend, they can share them.
    I don't want to go to church to hear people complain or whine or confess everything they are struggling with. If someone has sinned against me, then yes, he needs to confess to me and ask forgiveness. If he has sinned against someone else, then confess to them. He doesn't need to tell the entire church and everyone he meets. He should in addition confess to God and ask for forgiveness.

There is entirely too much gossiping going on in churches under the guise of "praying for someone"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't want to go to church to hear people complain or whine or confess everything they are struggling with. If someone has sinned against me, then yes, he needs to confess to me and ask forgiveness. If he has sinned against someone else, then confess to them. He doesn't need to tell the entire church and everyone he meets. He should in addition confess to God and ask for forgiveness.

There is entirely too much gossiping going on in churches under the guise of "praying for someone"
    I think a more appropriate setting might be something like a men's Bible study.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I think a more appropriate setting might be something like a men's Bible study.
    Agreed. Like I said earlier, you should be confessing to people you know. Having a friend to hold you accountable is also important.

9. Amen Thoughtful Monk, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Agreed. Like I said earlier, you should be confessing to people you know. Having a friend to hold you accountable is also important.
    I agree that there has to be some place in the church where people can talk about their sins and struggles with them.

In looking at the OP, it could be implied that the church never talks about sin even as a sermon topic. In the church I am struggle with whether to stay at or not, sin and repentance has been replaced by therapy so you never hear about sin and the need for repentance. I'm wondering if that is where the friend in the OP meant?
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

My time to be on TWeb is unpredictable. It may take a few days for me to see your post and respond.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    I agree that there has to be some place in the church where people can talk about their sins and struggles with them.

In looking at the OP, it could be implied that the church never talks about sin even as a sermon topic. In the church I am struggle with whether to stay at or not, sin and repentance has been replaced by therapy so you never hear about sin and the need for repentance. I'm wondering if that is where the friend in the OP meant?
    Maybe?

I went to my brother's church occasionally (Southern Baptist) and his preacher (now replaced) was the Hellfire and Brimstone type of preacher who was constantly preaching about sin and hell, and doing the redfaced yelling thing, to the point that you felt guilty just sitting there. So preaching sin can be taken too far. People were leaving the church because of this guy.

I think a balance is needed. People need to know that sin is bad and we need Jesus, but then Jesus needs to be offered as the answer. The Gospel is the "Good News" after all.