Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Work Out Your Salvation with Fear and Trembling

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well, how about this?

Source: Letters of Samuel Rutherford

God forgive them that raise an ill report upon the sweet cross of Christ. It is but our weak and dim eyes, and our looking only to the dark side that makes us mistake. Those who can take that crabbed tree handsomely upon their back, and fasten it on cannily, shall find it such a burden as wings unto a bird, or sails to a ship.

The devil came in, and would prompt me to lay the blame on Him as a hard master. But now these mists are blown away, and I am not only silenced as to all quarreling, but fully satisfied. Christ beareth me good company. He has eased me, when I saw it not, lifting the cross off my shoulders, so that I think it to be but a feather, because underneath are everlasting arms.

© Copyright Original Source

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Undergraduate
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    I don't understand why Lewis is so revered. I read that, and about all I get is the "wah-wah-WAH-wah-wah-wah-WAH-wah" of "adult-speak" in Charlie Brown cartoons. Seriously. It is of no help to my understanding. :-(
    Made me laugh. I also battle to get CS Lewis. I think it is like trying to do cryptic crossword puzzles. I can't.

Undergraduate
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think the scripture is clear. Fear and trembling. More than just awe or reverence. Together with Hebrews 10:31:It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God and Hebrews 12:29 For our God is a consuming fire.
    Last edited by Esther; 09-02-2019 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typ

4. Amen lee_merrill amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's a confusing verse because the context doesn't clearly explain what it is talking about. But I take it to mean that salvation equates to the kingdom of God. The more the Philippians evangelize, the more they build the kingdom and, hence, build their own salvation.

Philippians 2:12-16

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. 14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings: 15 that ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; 16 holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.

Matthew 6:10

10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.