Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Funimation. We Are Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funimation. We Are Watching

What treatment can we expect as Christians?

Link

------

How does our world treat strong Christians? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Recently for my wife and I with our condition, I blogged about Christopher Sabat, an anime voice actor, and a statement about autistic fans. A lot of this has come about due to a controversy involving another voice actor, Vic Mignogna, someone my wife and I have met who is a strong Christian. More material has come out that has put Vic’s Christian faith right at the center of a lot of what is going on. It involves the anime studio Funimation that Vic worked for and produces such anime series as Dragonball Z.

The big event was a video that got leaked of a lot of Dragonball Z voice actors making jokes. What’s so bad about that? These jokes involved homosexual and incestual relationships. One of the main terms picked out of this by fans is a reference to “sacred ointment.” This video also used music from the series which we have no word that the composer would want to have done with his music. Also, it was done on Funimation equipment at their workplace. The video is available on the net for anyone wanting to find it. I find it so repugnant I don’t want to directly link to it.

It’s not escaping a lot of peoples’ notice that Vic got fired because there were allegations that he had made a joke of a sexual nature that seemed inappropriate, but this video gets leaked and absolutely nothing happens. The hypocrisy is stunning. At this, one has to ask why does Vic get special treatment like this?

Things have gone from bad to watch for Funimation. Another voice actor, Chuck Huber, released an affidavit about what goes on behind the scenes at Funimation. This included references to what has been called a casting couch even. Something specifically pointed out was Vic’s strong Christian faith and a number of times it is said that is why he is being targeted.

My wife cares deeply about this issue and we have been keeping up. I think it’s relevant also to show how Christians have been treated and the problems I see with the MeToo movement. The MeToo movement I would hope started with good intentions, but now it has reached the point where too often an allegation is enough to put someone’s entire life on the line.

Yet here we have a situation where one actor, a strong Christian, gets flimsy charges put against him that don’t match up with the evidence, and he is raked across the coals. Then we have an affidavit that shows up talking about a casting couch and numerous off-color sexual jokes in a leaked video and nothing happens. The crucial dividing factor in all of this is that one of the people involved does not keep his Christian faith a secret.

Even if the case against Vic was found to be airtight, it would be a pyrrhic victory for Funimation as this leaked video has put them in the crosshairs and it’s quite likely the headquarters that own franchises such as Dragonball in Japan are not happy about this. The Japanese can be very conservative in many ways and want their characters treated with honor. Those who went after Vic are now in the crosshairs.

If the allegations are correct that this is because Vic is a Christian, and I think they are, then it can give us a reminder of how our world today still sees Christianity. In reality, we should expect this. Christians are going to be marginalized. The very first Christians were accused of being cannibals and having incestual orgies at their love feasts.

What a shock also that the charges raised are moral accusations. I think of Daniel and how when the other officials wanted to charge him with something, they knew it had to be about his worship of his God. Thus, they had a law promptly made up that the king agreed to that they knew Daniel would never submit to.

Time will tell how all of this plays out, but Christians should note this is how we are going to be treated in society. While I do oppose sexual harassment, I cannot support the way the MeToo movement is being used. Investigate allegations, but don’t act on them without hard evidence.

And one more thing for Funimation. We have decided to follow your slogan.

We are watching.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Yeah, the ramifications of the Affidavit/Leak combo has really has turned into a No-Win situation for FUNimation. Last I checked, even the KickVic crowd is not amused with recent turn of events; they still think Vic had it coming (over spurious accusations and an ambiguous joke, in my opinion), but now some of them want FUNimation to really take out the trash.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

I have been watching FUNimation legally since at least 2011. Probably the biggest Dragon Ball fan here -- unless others want to claim that title.

Comment

While I wouldn't be surprised that there might be notable exceptions, anime in general FWIS has never been very friendly toward Christianity, often portraying some bizarre twisted form though always corrupt[1].

Still like a lot of it, but I know what to expect if it comes up.

1. With the exception of that small church way off in some small isolated village

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I would not be surprised if toei gets involved personally.
          sigpic

Comment

I smell a lawsuit coming...
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I think there already is one, but not on this issue with the leaks, though it will tie in.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                I think there already is one, but not on this issue with the leaks, though it will tie in.
                If they fired a guy for that kind of thing and then don't fire these guys? In the US, heck yeah, he's got grounds for a lawsuit.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

He already had it in the works. Depositions have been heard to some extent.

Comment

He already had it in the works. Depositions have been heard to some extent.
                    Ah, gotcha.

They are soooo toast.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Ah, gotcha.

They are soooo toast.
                      Add in also that Goku is seen as a cartoon ambassador for Japan and Tokyo hosts the Olympics in 2020 and what did America just do to their representative?

Goku is to them what Superman is to us.

Comment

My boss texted me referring to a co-worker as "Goku". Would this mean he was referring to him as fast? (Because this guy is a very fast worker.)
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          My boss texted me referring to a co-worker as "Goku". Would this mean he was referring to him as fast? (Because this guy is a very fast worker.)
                          I don't think so. I can't think of an anime character involved with speed. Goku is more a hard worker who keeps going and never quits.

Comment

I don't think so. I can't think of an anime character involved with speed. Goku is more a hard worker who keeps going and never dies.
                            Fixed it!

Seriously, I've watched very little DBZ but Goku struck me as more 'loveable and dumb'. Underdog rather than Superman. Maybe that's what he had in mind?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Goku has died in the series.

Comment