Thread: This is just Pathetic / Sad / Wrong

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

This is just Pathetic / Sad / Wrong

When I graduated college and started my job, I ended up joining a suburban PC(USA) church. When it had a big church fight, I ended up at a non-denominational. Several of my friends ended up at a PC(USA) church in a more urban setting. It's in a section of town I don't go to very often but when I'd go by, it was still open.

This week after a couple years, I went by it. Out front was a now a sign that read Cathedral of the Brotherhood of the Cross and the Star. When I looked up the group, to me they land in weird and heretical land.

I'm not big fan of PC(USA). Yet I still feel that it is pathetic, sad, and wrong that one of their churches ended up owned by heretics. Maybe I'm more feeling for my friends who given their nature were probably there until the end.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

My time to be on TWeb is unpredictable. It may take a few days for me to see your post and respond.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I fear that more and more churches that were once grounded on the word of God are falling away into all kinds of strange and bizarre conglomerations of different "faiths" in order to be more inclusive.

We are in the days of the Laodicean church. Neither hot nor cold, but tepid and disgusting, and God is going to spit these churches out of His mouth.

Edit to add: I just looked this up online. Not good................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothe...Cross_and_Star

God: God is biospiritually interconnected with all things in nature, is male and female, and good and evil.[3]

Jesus: Jesus did not have time to fully communicate his beliefs before crucifixion, and Obu’s role has been to explain, expand upon and add to his teaching. This is why a part of Brotherhood teaching has no counterpart in either the Old or the New Testament.[4] His son, Rowland, continues to add to the teachings. BCS followers suggest that Obu’s achievements have been superior to that of Jesus.[3]

Reincarnation: Because of a belief in the transmigration of souls between humans and animals, BCS members practice vegetarianism and veganism.[5] (They are also teetotal.)

Medicine: The BCS website expressly says that “BCS do not believe in medicine of any form”.[5]

Olumba Olumba Obu: In official BCS literature, it is suggested that Obu has the attributes of God,[5] although Obu has gone on record as saying "I am not Jesus Christ or God.".[6] BCS believes that calamity will come if the world does not worship Obu as God.[7]
    Last edited by mossrose; 09-02-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Just out of curiosity, and to clarify "church" (a church building) with "church" (a local congregation) -- did the congregation sell out to a new theology, or did the congregation sell the building, and the new owners were of this weird bent?
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Just out of curiosity, and to clarify "church" (a church building) with "church" (a local congregation) -- did the congregation sell out to a new theology, or did the congregation sell the building, and the new owners were of this weird bent?
    Don't know for sure. My money is on congregation probably got too small to support the building, so they dissolved and the building was sold to new owners.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

My time to be on TWeb is unpredictable. It may take a few days for me to see your post and respond.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Don't know for sure. My money is on congregation probably got too small to support the building, so they dissolved and the building was sold to new owners.
    That would be my guess, as well. Sadly, there's a former church my where my parents lived that has been turned into a bar, and they appear to enjoy the fact that it still looks like an old fashioned church building.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That would be my guess, as well. Sadly, there's a former church my where my parents lived that has been turned into a bar, and they appear to enjoy the fact that it still looks like an old fashioned church building.
    So they can say they are going to church?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    So they can say they are going to church?
    that, and even worse - nearly blasphemous - stuff.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    When I was a kid there was a fancy restaurant that was set up in an old monastery. They were called The Abbey. The waitresses wore monk's robes (habit?) but cut really short like a minidress (in fact they referred to them as mini-monks).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    When I was a kid there was a fancy restaurant that was set up in an old monastery. They were called The Abbey. The waitresses wore monk's robes (habit?) but cut really short like a minidress (in fact they referred to them as mini-monks).
    I see that as kinda poking your thumb in God's eye. I wouldn't wanna be there on judgment day.