Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christianity Is Dangerous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by whag View Post
    Which is precisely why I asked you how you apply the command TODAY. I already explained to you that having enemies today is rare, did I not? And now you're simply repeating what I said by citing the difference between modern civilization and the ANE.

What I asked is super simple to answer. Who's your enemy and how do you express love toward them?
    I already answered though, you simply don't want to consider people you don't like and are in seemingly trivial conflicts with enemies. I'm sorry you don't have a proper nemesis in your life whag.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

As has the word sociopath.
      Sparko wasn't using it as an insult. Don't they teach context in atheist school?
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Treat enemies with love, but call your brother a jerk. Makes tons of sense to me.
        It's generally assumed that both me and Sparko are fairly thick skinned, so calling each other names is quite kosher.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          It's generally assumed that both me and Sparko are fairly thick skinned, so calling each other names is quite kosher.
          Poopiehead.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I already answered though,"
            I can't find it. Post #, please?

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            you simply don't want to consider people you don't like and are in seemingly trivial conflicts with enemies.
            I asked for a practical application of the command you said you obeyed. Although you have enemies, you did not explain how your love for them is enacted.

I'm sorry you don't have a proper nemesis in your life whag.
            I'm sorry that you regard everyone you simply don't like as an "enemy."

Comment

I'm thick-skinned, too, which is why I don't regard everyone I dislike as my enemy.

Comment

• If I ever get an enemy, I'm gonna send Darth after 'em.
                Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

I asked for a practical application of the command you said you obeyed. Although you have enemies, you did not explain how your love for them is enacted.
                  I haven't caved any skulls in. I don't really want to discuss details about my personal life so it'll have to suffice.

I'm sorry that you regard everyone you simply don't like as an "enemy."
                  It doesn't matter what I regard or don't regard, it's more or less what was intended in those verses.

Comment

I haven't caved any skulls in. I don't really want to discuss details about my personal life so it'll have to suffice.
                    Darth Executor thinks that genuine love for his opponents means not wailing on someone he merely dislikes. Wow.

It doesn't matter what I regard or don't regard, it's more or less what was intended in those verses.
                    Yes, and now we know that the commandment you bragged about honoring is simply not giving someone you dislike a beat down. Impressive. But love?

Comment

• Originally posted by MehGerbil View Post
                      If I ever get an enemy, I'm gonna send Darth after 'em.
                      His cup runneth over too much with love. He's actually Darth Pacifist.

Comment

• Irrational enmity was nicely explained in the Star Trek episode “Let That Be Your Last Battlefield” (1969). Black/White symmetrical aliens at war. Loving your enemy is about understanding the symmetry you have with your enemy – he is a loving and loved father just like you. If you put yourself in the other guy’s shoes you are better able to assess your own stupidity.
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          Irrational enmity was nicely explained in the Star Trek episode “Let That Be Your Last Battlefield” (1969). Black/White symmetrical aliens at war. Loving your enemy is about understanding the symmetry you have with your enemy – he is a loving and loved father just like you. If you put yourself in the other guy’s shoes you are better able to assess your own stupidity.
                          Hate feels so natural to some people, they don't recognize it's a narcotic. Irrational enmity is indulgent.

Comment

I don't think he gets that I was being sarcastic in the first place. I would think your avatar of Hitler would be a clue though. Whag isn't the brightest bulb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor
                              Israel was occupied by the Romans (whom they hated) and there was quite a bit of tribalistic rage going around. Give it a decade or so. When America's overrun by poverty and (more) violent racial strife conditions will be more similar and you'll understand better.
                              If you have to restrain your fist in these comfortable times, lord knows how you'll do it in the apocalyptic scenario you just presented. And it'd probably be the might of the mobs--not love--that convinces you to not retaliate.

The scary part is we're not even talking about self defense here. You have to holster your punches in situations with people you simply find annoying or dislike?
                              Last edited by whag; 01-31-2014, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                I don't think he gets that I was being sarcastic in the first place. I would think your avatar of Hitler would be a clue though. Whag isn't the brightest bulb.
                                He said people who use that term have no clue what it means. I think it stung him when you said he should be less hateful as a Christian.

Comment