Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christianity Is Dangerous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MehGerbil View Post
    I'm not concerned about the reputation of atheists, in large part because they don't claim to follow a particular teaching which means huge variance among their beliefs is to be expected.
    Nonsense, you are presenting a clear double standard. You will not hold all atheists accountable for the sins of past atheists, yet you want to hold all of Christianity accountable for the evils of some past Christians.

Contrast that with Christians, who for some reason find the command "Love Your Enemies" to be this confusing riddle that must be carefully parsed and evaluated over hundreds of pages of commentary only to reach the conclusion that killing Muslims is a really sweet idea.
    Yes and the atheist of the last century killed or imprisoned thousands, if not millions, of believers just because they were believers. BTW - I see no Biblical problem with war, as in self defense. No one I know, and I run in very conservative circles, wants to kill Muslims because they are Muslim. No more than we wanted to kill Germans just because they were German in WW2.

By the way, if you'd care to point to a government based upon the teachings of Christ in the New Testament I'd be anxious to know of it.
    If it doesn't exist then you've just scored a point for the skeptics.
    Are you really this daft? I'm not saying that there is one or ever will be. I'm asking you what would be "terrifying" about a government based on the teachings of Christ in the New Testament? Be specific please.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

So 1500 years of slaughter is okay because of Mother Teresa?
      No, 1500 years of slaughter should be accepted as normal because if Christians hadn't been around to engage in it someone else would have. Historically, those who don't slaughter get slaughtered and wiped from this earth. Which is why Ancient Israel, run by God, and a hypothetical MehGerbil government, run by an idiot who's had it too good for too long, would have absolutely nothing in common.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        Um, no, because it's not Christianity causing all this. You are mistaking correlation with causation.
        The skeptic should be wary of any government, and not just irrationally afraid of one subgroup that could obtain power.
        The fact is I understand your point quite well as I've made the same arguments myself countless times on atheist message boards.
        The problem is that your rebuttal means absolutely nothing to a skeptic because he isn't going to recognize a difference between someone claiming to be a Christian and an authentic Christian because he doesn't recognize the Spirit that makes the difference.

Do you see?

In order for your argument to make sense the skeptic would have to already accept your world view.
        Even with that, it is easy just to write you off as another salesman or liar.
        We do expect our politicians to lie, right?

Do you want to actually communicate with these people or just absolve yourself of the Inquisition?
        Which is more important to you?
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Nonsense, you are presenting a clear double standard. You will not hold all atheists accountable for the sins of past atheists, yet you want to hold all of Christianity accountable for the evils of some past Christians.
          1: It isn't my job to hold atheists accountable for anything.
          2: It isn't my job to hold Christians accountable for anything.

I'm making the argument that it is rational for skeptics to be wary of Christians and Christians in power based upon the historical record.
          Acting like the skeptic is some sort of a nut job for being scared of a Christian in power is ridiculous.

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Yes and the atheist of the last century killed or imprisoned thousands, if not millions, of believers just because they were believers.
          That is irrelevant to the point.
          Christian actions aren't to be driven by the actions of those being used by the enemy.

Are you really this daft? I'm not saying that there is one or ever will be. I'm asking you what would be "terrifying" about a government based on the teachings of Christ in the New Testament? Be specific please.
          I'm keeping the post on topic.
          You see, if in 2000 years of trying this has never happened then the skeptic is almost guaranteed of getting the 'bad version' if we get a Christian government again.

See why they might be scared?
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            No, 1500 years of slaughter should be accepted as normal because if Christians hadn't been around to engage in it someone else would have. Historically, those who don't slaughter get slaughtered and wiped from this earth. Which is why Ancient Israel, run by God, and a hypothetical MehGerbil government, run by an idiot who's had it too good for too long, would have absolutely nothing in common.
            There are some very interesting theories about God's interactions within the Old Testament.
            One of them starts with the reality that Israel asked for a king... it wasn't God's idea.

Interesting things begin to happen when one begins to view the entire Bible through the lens of the Cross.
            I'd recommend this path to anyone.

Comment

Feel free to state my assertion for the rest of the class.
              There's no need. I'm sure posters here are intelligent enough to follow the thread progression and figure it out.
              So 1500 years of slaughter is okay because of Mother Teresa?
              Erm, no. When skeptics look at Christianity, the possibility of slaughter should not be the only consequence they see.
              What I'm trying to get to here is that it is ridiculous for Christians to pretend, as they often do on these forums, that skeptics are nuts because they fear the consequences of Christianity. It isn't unfair for a skeptic to call us out on these things.
              It is ridiculous, and unfair, for skeptics to have a monofocus on violence in the name of Christ that nearly all of their debate opponents already disavow as wrong. Besides, theocracy in America is laughably unlikely; Christians here are far too divided, and in any case devout Christians are a decided minority.
              It isn't rude or unenlightened for them to reject our message, regardless of sect, because of the horrible crimes that litter our history.
              Balderdash. Horrible crimes litter everyone's history.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The fact is I understand your point quite well as I've made the same arguments myself countless times on atheist message boards.
                The problem is that your rebuttal means absolutely nothing to a skeptic because he isn't going to recognize a difference between someone claiming to be a Christian and an authentic Christian because he doesn't recognize the Spirit that makes the difference.

Do you see?
                That's where things like prayer and God's influence come into play. I can only plant a seed, not make it grow.

In order for your argument to make sense the skeptic would have to already accept your world view.
                Not necessarily, I have come across people who do not share the Christian worldview, but nevertheless understand the difference between those who embody their ideology, and those who are inconsistent in it. I think that even atheistic humanists understand this point.

Even with that, it is easy just to write you off as another salesman or liar.
                We do expect our politicians to lie, right?
                I'm not a politician, I'm a very blunt person. I think most anyone who knows anything about me realizes that I will state things as they are.

Do you want to actually communicate with these people or just absolve yourself of the Inquisition?
                Which is more important to you?
                If someone wants to blame me for the Inquisitions, then they likely aren't going to communicate anyway. I expect to be held responsible for my own sins, not those of others.
                I still try to give people a chance though(sometimes I probably give too many chances, but that's just how I am).

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  There's no need. I'm sure posters here are intelligent enough to follow the thread progression and figure it out.
                  I wasn't concerned about the other posters following.
                  Based on your responses I'm worried about you following it.

Erm, no. When skeptics look at Christianity, the possibility of slaughter should not be the only consequence they see.
                  I don't think it is the job of the skeptic to paint a portrait of Christianity that meets our marketing standards.

It is ridiculous, and unfair, for skeptics to have a monofocus on violence in the name of Christ that nearly all of their debate opponents already disavow as wrong. Besides, theocracy in America is laughably unlikely; Christians here are far too divided, and in any case devout Christians are a decided minority.
                  The abuse continues to this day.
                  This goes far beyond pinning a 500 year old atrocity on people who were never there.
                  The fear they have is rational, often times based on what they've personally experienced.

Balderdash. Horrible crimes litter everyone's history.
                  So you'd let a thief into your home because there are lots of thieves?
                  I don't know how the presence of more than one assailant excuses the assailant that is a personal favorite of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                    Not necessarily, I have come across people who do not share the Christian worldview, but nevertheless understand the difference between those who embody their ideology, and those who are inconsistent in it. I think that even atheistic humanists understand this point.
                    So in your opinion, someone who doesn't believe in God understands that God's work in your life makes you different than those who only claim to have God working in their lives?

How many of these atheists would be comfortable with authentic Spirit led Christians running government?

Answer: 0

So no, you aren't making the ground you think you're making.

Comment

There are some very interesting theories about God's interactions within the Old Testament.
                      One of them starts with the reality that Israel asked for a king... it wasn't God's idea.

Interesting things begin to happen when one begins to view the entire Bible through the lens of the Cross.
                      I'd recommend this path to anyone.
                      Funny, Israel didn't have a king when God slaughtered a ton of Egyptians because of one man's stubbornness. And when it had a king it was God ordering the slaughters. I hate to break it to you but you are doing with the OT what you claim the rest of us are doing with European history, and an atheist is a lot more likely to be butthurt about the OT, where massacres were ordered by God Himself, than by Europe, where massacres were ordered by men and could be dismissed by the more reasonable as inevitable human folly. They're even more likely to be butthurt about going to hell for being atheist(not actually true but in practice it ammounts to the same thing) than they are about human slaughter. Christianity is incompatible with many modern Western values that you preach and falsely attribute to the Gospel.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

So in your opinion, someone who doesn't believe in God understands that God's work in your life makes you different than those who only claim to have God working in their lives?
                        No, what I'm saying is that I think even an atheist can see when someone actually lives their life according to what they say they believe, as compared to someone who doesn't. Even kids tend to realize hypocrisy is wrong.

How many of these atheists would be comfortable with authentic Spirit led Christians running government?

How do you know that? I've met skeptics who agree that if people would live by the teachings of Jesus that the world would be better off, even if they don't believe He's the Son of God.

What "ground"? I'm not advocating for a Christian run government. I am however pointing out that Christianity itself is not what's "dangerous", but people claiming to be, and even at times those who truly are Christian can do bad things. It's something wrong with humanity, not something inherently Christian.

ETA: I notice how you didn't respond to most of my post. Can't figure out why though.

Comment

Again: It isn't irrational for a skeptic to be terrified of a Christian government.
                          I kind of agree with this but by the same token am wary of a humanistic government which wants to dictate to the Church how it can run its affairs. I believe in separation of Church and state. God commands all men everywhere to be saved but He gives them freewill. I think over the years what has destroyed Christian witness is that we have strong-armed a lot of people into a adopting a Christian lifestyle when they do not want to. It serves no purpose. Church should be for those who want to be Christian - that way we are not forcing people to do things they do not want to do and we will be free from a lot of the resentment and accusations of 'judging' which we currently get. We dont judge people outside the church (we preach Gospel to them) but we are meant to judge those inside (in love and humility of course) and I think people who are in the Church because they want to be will take any so called 'judging' in the spirit it is meant to be and Christianity will not be so bad-mouthed.

Comment

I'm making the argument that it is rational for skeptics to be wary of Christians and Christians in power based upon the historical record.
                            Acting like the skeptic is some sort of a nut job for being scared of a Christian in power is ridiculous.
                            Then it should be just as rational for us to be wary of atheists in power because of the historical record of what atheists did in in the past when they had power.

That is irrelevant to the point.
                            Christian actions aren't to be driven by the actions of those being used by the enemy.
                            Except self defense is not an unbiblical notion.

I'm keeping the post on topic.
                            You see, if in 2000 years of trying this has never happened then the skeptic is almost guaranteed of getting the 'bad version' if we get a Christian government again.
                            That is not what I asked, try staying on topic. Or do you agree that none of these so called "Christian governments" really were Christian in doctrine and practice?

See why they might be scared?
                            No, not any more than we should be afraid of a secular government because of what some secular governments did in the past. But I can not mollify irrational fears.
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You're not making any ground either. You accept their premises, and these premises are directly contradictory to Christianity. Someone who can never comprehend why a mass slaughter can be necessary sometimes will never become a Christian (sans serious cognitive dissonance) because Christianity has a God who repeatedly ordered mass slaughters. You can dance around this all you want but the fact remains that God is no different from Hitler to them. The only way to convince such people is to make them understand that mass slaughters are sometimes necessary, a hard task, but still a superior, coherent and more successful path than BSing them about a bunny God that has children put to the sword and throws most of humanity in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerbil
                                Originally posted by Pig
                                When skeptics look at Christianity, the possibility of slaughter should not be the only consequence they see.
                                Originally posted by Trout
                                Define Christianity and give three examples.
                                Originally posted by Pig
                                Monotheistic religion whose practitioners claim Jesus Christ as Lord.

Examples?

Jews
                                Hellenists
                                Romans
                                Are you trying to prove "Gerbil's" point?
                                Last edited by Trout; 01-21-2014, 01:17 PM.
                                The last Christian left at tweb

Comment