Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How Many Questions Did Jesus Ask?

  1. #1
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,567
    Amen (Given)
    11881
    Amen (Received)
    25305

    How Many Questions Did Jesus Ask?

    We all know that Jesus apparently liked to answer questions with questions, but He also started conversations with questions. Two of my favorite are when he asked His disciples "who do the people say I am", with the followup being "who do YOU say I am".

    So, I was doing a study on...

    • Questions Jesus asked
    • Questions Jesus answered with questions
    • Questions Jesus was asked but never answered
    • Questions Jesus actually answered with answers...



    I'm finding "339 Questions Jesus asked", "153 Questions Jesus asked"...

    Naturally, some of this is going to depend on how you count the same question asked in the various Gospels, or whether you consider a question in English a faithful translation of a challenge in Hebrew or Aramaic or whatever...

    I thought this would be an interesting discussion.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  2. #2
    tWebber Faber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sagittarius Arm
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,041
    Amen (Given)
    227
    Amen (Received)
    478
    I taught a lesson a few weeks ago on the healing of the man at the pool of Bethesda. Jesus asked him if he wanted to be healed? As if Jesus really needed to ask. Did Jesus mean it like, "How would you like to be healed!" Or a rhetorical "Don't you want to be healed?"

  3. #3
    tWebber Thoughtful Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    616
    Amen (Given)
    252
    Amen (Received)
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    We all know that Jesus apparently liked to answer questions with questions, but He also started conversations with questions. Two of my favorite are when he asked His disciples "who do the people say I am", with the followup being "who do YOU say I am".

    So, I was doing a study on...

    • Questions Jesus asked
    • Questions Jesus answered with questions
    • Questions Jesus was asked but never answered
    • Questions Jesus actually answered with answers...
    When we're asked a question, we tend to be polite and answer the question as presented. I think for the middle two bullets, you will find that Jesus responded in this way because the question was attempted distraction from His ministry or the point He was trying to make. Jesus knew what He was trying to teach and refused to be pulled off message.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

    My time to be on TWeb is unpredictable. It may take a few days for me to see your post and respond.

  4. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  5. #4
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,199
    Amen (Given)
    382
    Amen (Received)
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    I think for the middle two bullets, you will find that Jesus responded in this way because the question was attempted distraction from His ministry or the point He was trying to make. Jesus knew what He was trying to teach and refused to be pulled off message.
    I'm remembering that Jesus didn't answer the question "Who is my neighbor?", instead he answered the question "Who is a neighbor?".

    Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  6. Amen KingsGambit amen'd this post.
  7. #5
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,567
    Amen (Given)
    11881
    Amen (Received)
    25305
    Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    I taught a lesson a few weeks ago on the healing of the man at the pool of Bethesda. Jesus asked him if he wanted to be healed? As if Jesus really needed to ask. Did Jesus mean it like, "How would you like to be healed!" Or a rhetorical "Don't you want to be healed?"
    Or, maybe he just wanted the man to ask? Or, maybe Jesus was having him focus on WHO it was that was doing the healing, because after the first "do you want to be made whole", the man was pointing out that there was nobody there to help him. Jesus then instructed him to get up. The attention focused on Jesus as the healer, not the circumstances or condition of the pool.

    Many of these things were not just between Jesus and the other person, but for the instruction and witness of the crowds. eh?
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  8. #6
    tWebber Christianbookworm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northern Hemisphere
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9,421
    Amen (Given)
    5588
    Amen (Received)
    1794
    Wasn't Jesus also outwitting foolish people trying to trap Him with trick questions? Jesus would never fall for a loaded question.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

  9. #7
    tWebber Faber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sagittarius Arm
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,041
    Amen (Given)
    227
    Amen (Received)
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Many of these things were not just between Jesus and the other person, but for the instruction and witness of the crowds. eh?
    Yeah, especially because He did it on the Sabbath in front of the Pharisees.

  10. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •