Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice For Thee But Not For Me...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Justice For Thee But Not For Me...

So the leftist District Attorney tried to throw out the charges to protect these radicals, but the judge was not having it - good for him!

A Massachusetts judge has decided to move forward with charges against several counterprotesters arrested during a "straight pride" parade in Boston this past weekend, despite requests from the district attorney to dismiss the cases.

The Suffolk County District Attorney's Office sought the dismissal of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest charges against some defendants in exchange for community service on Tuesday, but Boston Municipal Judge Richard Sinnott denied the requests in seven instances.

District Attorney Rachael Rollins said Sinnott overstepped his role and promised she'll take other steps to get the charges dropped.

"By compelling arraignment in every case, the judge punished the exercise of individuals' First Amendment right to protest," she said in a statement late Tuesday. "For those people now tangled in the criminal justice system for exercising their right to free speech — many of whom had no prior criminal record — I will use the legal process to remedy the judge's overstepping of his role."

Rollins didn't elaborate, and a spokeswoman did not comment Wednesday.

Sinnott, who was appointed by Republican Gov. Charlie Baker in 2017, declined to comment Wednesday as he continued hearing arraignments for the some 36 people arrested at the parade.

WGBH reports the judge agreed to dismiss the charges in many of the cases heard Wednesday. But at one point, Sinnott held a defense lawyer in contempt and had her handcuffed and detained for about two hours after she began reading from case law suggesting he had no authority to overrule Rollins' decision not to prosecute certain defendants, the station reported.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ade-protesters
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

2. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Under what authority are the protesters being prosecuted?

One would think constitutional originalists would have a problem with this.

--Sam

Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    So the leftist District Attorney tried to throw out the charges to protect these radicals, but the judge was not having it - good for him!
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

--Sam
    According to the story, "officers were pelted with rocks, bottles of urine and other unidentified materials as the parade wound down, injuring at least four officers."

I don't think "orgininalists" would have a problem here.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

5. Amen RumTumTugger, Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Okay, then find me where in the state constitution the judiciary is getting this power of prosecution from.

--Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    According to the story, "officers were pelted with rocks, bottles of urine and other unidentified materials as the parade wound down, injuring at least four officers."

I don't think "orgininalists" would have a problem here.
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Okay, then find me where in the state constitution the judiciary is getting this power of prosecution from.

--Sam
    Are you under the impression that judges must accept a motion to dismiss?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If the state is not bringing charges in a criminal case, yes. Can you find me something in the MA (or federal, for that matter) constitution that says otherwise? Who's going to prosecute the case?

--Sam

Are you under the impression that judges must accept a motion to dismiss?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If the state is not bringing charges in a criminal case, yes. Can you find me something in the MA (or federal, for that matter) constitution that says otherwise? Who's going to prosecute the case?

--Sam
    Obviously the state prosecutor will be compelled to do their job.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    For the record:

Source: Rachael Rollins blasts judge for refusing to dismiss charges against nonviolent ‘Straight Pride Parade’ protesters. Nik DeCosta-Klipa. Boston.com 2019.09.03

A total of 36 people were arrested during the parade Saturday. According to Rollins’s office, prosecutors are pressing forward in the cases in which the charges are violent in nature, including assault and battery on a police officer. However, 20 of the people arrested were charged only with disorderly conduct alone or disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. And in those cases, prosecutors have been asking Sinnott to drop the charges, according to the DA’s office.

© Copyright Original Source

Great to see just how readily some folks here are ready to put on the jackboots, tho.

--Sam

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    On what authority? Who's deciding what constitutes "their job"? The judge? Find where that power is granted to the judiciary in the constitution.

Obviously the state prosecutor will be compelled to do their job.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

--Sam
    The DA's - he requested to drop charges - meaning they were already charged.

Edit: double checked the article - at the very bottom, Rollins herself says these guys were already arraigned. The decision to prosecute had already been made.

The court has every right to deny the petition - courts are NOT rubber stamps - and once arraigned, the decision belongs to the court.
    Last edited by Teallaura; 09-05-2019 at 03:00 AM.