Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NYT - Trump Administration Considers a Drastic Cut in Refugees Allowed to Enter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    I went through the trouble of explaining how Teallaura was miscontextualizing Scripture, and obviously so, for the purpose of a debate trick.

No one, so far, has shown how I miscontextualized or carelessly used Scripture.

I find this careless use, bordering on malicious use, of Scripture very problematic for anyone claiming the religion.

--Sam
    Which I didn't do - you argued against a policy position that had nothing to do with the passage.

OPB most certainly has - among others. I demonstrated your selectivity with exegesis.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Which I didn't do - you argued against a policy position that had nothing to do with the passage.

OPB most certainly has - among others. I demonstrated your selectivity with exegesis.
      I answered your charge about exegesis and then I turned to your claim about open borders. It was you that put two things into one post, one on top of the other. I responded in the same format.

--Sam
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Sam, you have it right. Only the hardest of hearts can hear these words and not be humbled, not be confronted by their own failure to live by these words. It is most disturbing to see the utter callousness by which they are here often dismissed. I rarely reference them anymore on these pages so distubed am I by how their power is mocked by so many here.

Jim
        See Jim you are doing it again! We, in my Church, help the needy all the time, and that includes many immigrants, mostly Latino. I was a prison chaplain for three years, and ran Bible studies. I also ran Bible studies in local Rehabs. Did volunteer work at the local soup kitchen, homeless shelter. I'm not bragging because it is never enough, and the fact most Christians here have done the same. So how have I/we failed the Matthew 25 mandate? Because we believe that we should take care of our own first?

And BTW Jim, Christ never refers to all men as His brothers, only those who do the will of God.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...his-is-America
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          See Jim you are doing it again! We, in my Church, help the needy all the time, and that includes many immigrants, mostly Latino. I was a prison chaplain for three years, and ran Bible studies. I also ran Bible studies in local Rehabs. Did volunteer work at the local soup kitchen, homeless shelter. I'm not bragging because it is never enough, and the fact most Christians here have done the same. So how have I/we failed the Matthew 25 mandate? Because we believe that we should take care of our own first?

And BTW Jim, Christ never refers to all men as His brothers, only those who do the will of God.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...his-is-America
          Exactly seer. How can anyone be like you are saying you are being and then turn around and attack Christians saying that very same spirit of helpfulness and love is being violated by this action by the administration? How can people that do the works you say you do support an act that turns away thousands that are fleeing death and destruction when we are fully capable of helping them???

I said I don't understand it. And that is exactly what i mean. I don't understand how people that in their real lives probably live good moral Christian lives can abandon those principles when they start debating online, or when someone points out something the Trump administration is doing violates those same basic principles they normally live their lives by. It's like you/we are two different people. A Christian in every way in normal life that turns into a little demon when they start typing on the computer, or when someone points out a clear violation of Christian principles by the trump administration.

This thread is about cutting off the poor and the needy when we are more than capable of helping them, people fleeing death and destruction. There is no way any Christian can support that without simultaneously ignoring the words of Christ they are claiming to uphold.

Jim
          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-07-2019, 07:39 AM.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I think you just made my point
            If your point was that you're a bald-face hypocrite, then yes, I made your point.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              If your point was that you're a bald-face hypocrite, then yes, I made your point.
              MM Dictionary:

Hypocrite: Any person that thinks, implies, or otherwise indicates MM may not be morally perfect.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Exactly seer. How can anyone be like you are saying you are being and then turn around and attack Christians saying that very same spirit of helpfulness and love is being violated by this action by the administration? How can people that do the works you say you do support an act that turns away thousands that are fleeing death and destruction when we are fully capable of helping them???

I said I don't understand it. And that is exactly what i mean. I don't understand how people that in their real lives probably live good moral Christian lives can abandon those principles when they start debating online, or when someone points out something the Trump administration is doing violates those same basic principles they normally live their lives by. It's like you/we are two different people. A Christian in every way in normal life that turns into a little demon when they start typing on the computer, or when someone points out a clear violation of Christian principles by the trump administration.

This thread is about cutting off the poor and the needy when we are more than capable of helping them, people fleeing death and destruction. There is no way any Christian can support that without simultaneously ignoring the words of Christ they are claiming to uphold.

Jim
                Because Jim, I know resources are limited, we just can't take in all the world's poor or even just the ones that want to come in. For goodness sake we can't even take care of the poor we have.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

MM Dictionary:

Hypocrite: Any person that thinks, implies, or otherwise indicates MM may not be morally perfect.
                  This is rich coming from someone who falsely accused his fellow Christians of not obeying scripture and of being callous and hard-hearted because we disagree with applying Old Testament laws directly to the policies of the US government.

Comment

This thread is about cutting off the poor and the needy...
                    As a matter of government policy, yes. I don't have a problem with that, and neither should you. As far as I know, the Trump administration has no plans to restrict what individuals and organizations can do, so we are perfectly free to continue living according to scripture. I have personally helped the poor and needy by my own hand. Have you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      As a matter of government policy, yes. I don't have a problem with that, and neither should you. As far as I know, the Trump administration has no plans to restrict what individuals and organizations can do, so we are perfectly free to continue living according to scripture. I have personally helped the poor and needy by my own hand. Have you?
                      Individuals and organizations can't resettle refugees if the government doesn't allow them to enter the USA.

--Sam
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                        Because Jim, I know resources are limited, we just can't take in all the world's poor or even just the ones that want to come in. For goodness sake we can't even take care of the poor we have.
                        The resources of USA are not so limited that we cannot admit tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands, of refugees every year -- especially considering that refugee resettlement ends up being a net positive for local, state, and national economies.

--Sam

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          Individuals and organizations can't resettle refugees if the government doesn't allow them to enter the USA.
                          Bringing them into the US isn't the only option.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Bringing them into the US isn't the only option.
                            There are some 25+ million refugees in the world - and there will be more. Many have medical or safety needs that necessitate resettlement. USA sets (or used to set) an important standard of welcome.

The people arguing that it's no big deal to refuse refugees welcome in the USA (and a good many of them flat out think/say we shouldn't have no plan for effective resettlement elsewhere -- they just want it to be someone else's burden.

In 1939, the MS St. Louis brought nearly a thousand Jewish refugees to our shore. People like seer and yourself allowed or even demanded them to be turned away -- someone else in Europe or wherever could take care of them. Returning to Europe, about of quarter of those refugees would die in German concentration camps.

NIMBY Christianity has no relationship with Christianity proper.

--Sam

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              The resources of USA are not so limited that we cannot admit tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands, of refugees every year -- especially considering that refugee resettlement ends up being a net positive for local, state, and national economies.

--Sam
                              Nonsense, we can't care for the people we have.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Nonsense, we can't care for the people we have.
                                Nonsense. We are one of the most wealthy nations in the world. And we have a culture and a philosophy as a people that is undermined by the current mentality of xenophobia that has gripped this administration. And those that name the name of Christ should not be supporting it. It is contrary to nearly everything Jesus taught about our responsibility to the poor and suffering in the world.

Jim

Comment