Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NYT - Trump Administration Considers a Drastic Cut in Refugees Allowed to Enter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Now where did that concept of absolute morality run off to ...
    If you want to lecture is about absolute morality based on the Old Testament, then why aren't you advocating the stoning of homosexuals and adulterers?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      If you want to lecture is about absolute morality based on the Old Testament, then why aren't you advocating the stoning of homosexuals and adulterers?
      Straw man. Here is what he said:
      The verse in deuteronomy in the OP has broad, general application. It's opening sentiment is echoed and amplified by other sections of the OT, and by jesus in the new. http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post668637
      Emphasis mine.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
        Straw man. Here is what he said:

Emphasis mine.
        Not a strawman at all. Jesus said nothing about what governments should do with political refugees.

Comment

• Why isn't anyone talking about why the administration is looking for a restriction in refugees? The article quickly mentions that it has something to do with an influx of asylum seekers at the border that are tying things up and leading to a massive backlog of asylum cases. That almost makes it sound like they're not reducing refugee acceptance, so much as shifting it to border asylum seekers, but that can't be right, can it? Also, reading the article, I was surprised that this refugee program is only 40 years old. I figured we had been taking in refugees for far longer. Is this article referring to only one program among many?

It might also be nice to get some context on where the US stands as a host for refugees as well. It's hard for me to get a mark on it because most stats online seem to be referring to refugees by population density. The vast majority of nations hosting the most people per population seem to be poor neighboring nations that have little choice in the matter. It seems that if you discount neighboring nations in Africa and the Middle East, the US is among one of the greater wealthy nation hosts, second to Germany (because of location, Germany as a host makes sense), then France, China (which surprised me), the UK and Japan (another surprise).

These wealthy nations host about 9% of the world's refugees, but make up for it a bit by offering massive amounts of financial aid. Unfortunately everyone has a "side," and attempting to get a big picture is proving difficult.

Also, it should be noted that, while Trump will inevitably be held responsible on which way the administration goes on this, according to the article, apparently it's not him talking about it as much as some guy named Stephen Miller who is his immigration adviser. It seems highly unlikely to me that, even if Miller is suggesting a complete halt to the program, the US will stop taking in refugees completely.
          Last edited by Adrift; 09-10-2019, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Not a strawman at all. Jesus said nothing about what governments should do with political refugees.
            He said nothing about what governments should do with Christians either. And so I guess that makes the slaughters by pol pot, the Roman empire, etc perfectly acceptable - right?

He said nothing about what governments should allow in terms of abortion on demand either. Nor did he say anything about slavery - so all that is ok too? Cant ask the government to do any different, right?

Certainly can't protest any of that on moral grounds - right?

Your argument is just vacuous MM, except for the fact half this website has bought into it hook line and sinker I wouldn't give it the time of day.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              He said nothing about what governments should do with Christians either. And so I guess that makes the slaughters by pol pot, the Roman empire, etc perfectly acceptable - right?

He said nothing about what governments should allow in terms of abortion on demand either. Nor did he say anything about slavery - so all that is ok too? Cant ask the government to do any different, right?

Certainly can't protest any of that on moral grounds - right?

Your argument is just vacuous MM, except for the fact half this website has bought into it hook line and sinker I wouldn't give it the time of day.
              I'm sure Chuck will be along at any moment to explain to you that this is a straw man.

There is, of course a significant difference between committing mass murder, and a sovereign nation being selective about which people it allows to enter as refugees.

And I know you're smart enough to realize this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                Why isn't anyone talking about why the administration is looking for a restriction in refugees?
                I mentioned it to Sam a few pages ago.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  I mentioned it to Sam a few pages ago.
                  Sorry, I must have skimmed over it. Are you referring to post #185?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    Sorry, I must have skimmed over it. Are you referring to post #185?

Good to see you Adrift!
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment