Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: NYT - Trump Administration Considers a Drastic Cut in Refugees Allowed to Enter

God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    The church - however - is. And we are members of the church. And so our response must align with the statements made by the leader of our theocracy.

Jim
    But our GOVERNMENT is not. Therefore, we can not hold them to scriptural standards on refugees.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

2. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    By all means lets follow the Old Testament:

If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them. (Leviticus 20:13)
    funny how we are always more eager to follow the commands that ostensibly give us an excuse condemn and destroy others, whereas we tend to downplay or flat out ignore those command that require sacrifice in one form or another from us.

Jim
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    No. Theocratic decrees directly to the nation of Israel have nothing to do with the US.
    I'm concerned with the notion that welcoming strangers is considered a "theocratic decree" and can so be dismissed as a matter of belief or practice that Christians don't need to bring into their respective political realms. Are all "decrees" from the Hebrew Scriptures considered this way?

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I'm concerned with the notion that welcoming strangers is considered a "theocratic decree" and can so be dismissed as a matter of belief or practice that Christians don't need to bring into their respective political realms.
    When you understand that the US is not Israel, it clears up pretty quickly.

Are all "decrees" from the Hebrew Scriptures considered this way?

--Sam
    Yes

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

6. Amen NorrinRadd, Adrift amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But our GOVERNMENT is not. Therefore, we can not hold them to scriptural standards on refugees.
    Aren't Trump and Pence ostensibly Christians? Don't they have strong support from white Christians, especially Evangelicals?
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    When you understand that the US is not Israel, it clears up pretty quickly.

Yes
    They have not been so interpreted on this forum at any point I've been here. A total disregard for "decrees" in the Hebrew Scriptures in relation to US policy has most definitely not been common.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    In terms of governmental difference. Both areas were part of the Roman Empire.
    So a refugee from Palestine travelling to northern Britannia would be like "moving from Pennsylvania to Vermont" in the 1st century?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Aren't Trump and Pence ostensibly Christians?
    A personal faith does not mandate federal policy. It can influence it, but can not dictate it. That's the point I have been making.

Don't they have strong support from white Christians, especially Evangelicals?
    Irrelevant.

11. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A personal faith does not mandate federal policy. It can influence it, but can not dictate it. That's the point I have been making.

Irrelevant.
    I find it extremely relevant, given many Christians' insistence (here and elsewhere) that Christian beliefs make it impossible or immoral to support certain parties and politicians. It is, indeed, such a widely-expressed view, here and elsewhere, that I have to wonder why the allowance is cropping up here.

--Sam

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    funny how we are always more eager to follow the commands that ostensibly give us an excuse condemn and destroy others, whereas we tend to downplay or flat out ignore those command that require sacrifice in one form or another from us.

Jim
    Right Jim, if you want to follow the rules of a Theocracy don't pick and choose. Remember the Jews could enslave the Alien at will. And they could not worship other (foreign) gods. And I'm tired of the virtue signalling from people like Sam, and you at times.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

14. Amen Mountain Man, NorrinRadd, Teallaura amen'd this post.