Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 176

Thread: Trump the Needler

  1. #41
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,024
    Amen (Given)
    9006
    Amen (Received)
    5553
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I'm not aware of any reason for a morning hurricane briefing to the President requiring a large, full-color print-out on poster board. They get the WH print shop to print out a new huge poster board every few hours or what there?

    --Sam
    I'm not rewriting the whole thread for you. Asked and answered.

  2. #42
    tWebber NorrinRadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Wayne Township, PA
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,924
    Amen (Given)
    2832
    Amen (Received)
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    No, the map he showed was a later map issued with the Alabama part visually added in a different tone - with one aide confirming it was his handwriting.

    It's not a stupid controversy. Altering a weather map is a federal offense. Weren't you just arguing in the other thread that the rule of law requires prosecution of crimes?
    Changing the map was silly.

    Making a literal Federal case of it is asinine.

    If what Trump (or whoever) did literally IS a Federal crime, it is just one more sign that we need to shut down the government and do a hard reboot. Or do without it at all.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

    Beige Nationalist.

    "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

  3. Amen Teallaura, RumTumTugger, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  4. #43
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    595
    Amen (Given)
    55
    Amen (Received)
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    No. One. Gets. Weather. From. The. White. House.


    None of the negative effects you postulated happened, because

    No. One. Gets. Weather. From. The. White. House.




    *emphasis mine

    Unless the public actually takes it seriously - which it didn't because WH - this makes no difference. I got it - but it had no real world bearing.
    Thanks for finally commenting my actual point, even though it was like pulling teeth to get it out of you, and your comment was a curt dismissal with no actual argument beyond an unsupported assertion of a fact. Also, thanks for repeating yourself again. Saying it for like the 8th time is sure to convince me, especially when it's a poor argument. But you keep on doing you. People getting the weather from the White House? When did I say that? Exactly, I didn't, you're just saying random stuff again.

    I was going to ask you a serious of questions: like why it has no bearing in the "real world", when it caused meteorologists to be distracted and now has NOAA reversing itself as the Trump Administration forces yet another federal agency to bend to it's will despite pesky things like facts. Also, considering how this is another reason why voters (including people who voted for Trump like myself) can't trust anything at all he says.

    I was going to ask how, as a Christian, you seem to have such unabashed support for Trump? Yes, I get Roe v. Wade, it's why I voted for him....but do we really have to always defend him despite obvious blunders?

    But it's very difficult to argue with you when you spend all your time repeating yourself, attacking straw men, and ignoring the very things I'm saying in the first place. Kinda hard for the discussion to go anywhere, don't you think? Unless you want to pay attention to the issues at hand and have a real discussion, I'll be withdrawing form arguing with you about this any further.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

  5. #44
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,024
    Amen (Given)
    9006
    Amen (Received)
    5553
    Not that it matters to anyone but:

    Source: Fox News

    Weather agency now backs Trump, says Dorian could have impacted Alabama

    © Copyright Original Source

    Source: Fox News



    In an unsigned statement, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said that "information provided by NOAA and the National Hurricane Center to President Trump and the wider public demonstrated that tropical-storm-force winds from Hurricane Dorian could impact Alabama." The advisories in question were dated from Wednesday, Aug. 28 to Monday, Sept. 2, the agency said.
    The statement points to a few graphics issued by the National Hurricane Center to support Trump's claims. The maps show percentage possibility of tropical storm force winds in the United States. Parts of Alabama were covered, usually with 5 percent to 10 percent chances, between Aug. 27 and Sept. 3. Maps on Aug. 30 grew to cover far more of Alabama, but for only 12 hours, and the highest percentage hit 20 percent to 30 percent before quickly shrinking back down.

    © Copyright Original Source


    *emphasis mine

    Which will be dismissed as political, despite documentation.

  6. #45
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,318
    Amen (Given)
    145
    Amen (Received)
    630
    Mentioned that earlier; no one, anywhere, disputed that at one point in time, Alabama was in the hurricane projection cone. By the time Trump tweeted that Alabama would "most likely be hit (much) harder than anticipated", however, AL was almost completely outside of even the <10% tropical storm wind cone and the hurricane was pretty clearly turning north in a way that would remove AL from the cone entirely within hours (which is what happened). At no point during the day of Trump's tweet was there a projection that Alabama would most likely be hit, and much less than any such "hit" would be harder than expected.

    But such is the way of Trump's lies and misstatements and how he adjusts them after the fact, often pulling other people into the disgrace. Would be good to see who, exactly, at NOAA wrote and directed that statement.

    --Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Not that it matters to anyone but:

    Source: Fox News

    Weather agency now backs Trump, says Dorian could have impacted Alabama

    © Copyright Original Source

    Source: Fox News



    In an unsigned statement, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said that "information provided by NOAA and the National Hurricane Center to President Trump and the wider public demonstrated that tropical-storm-force winds from Hurricane Dorian could impact Alabama." The advisories in question were dated from Wednesday, Aug. 28 to Monday, Sept. 2, the agency said.
    The statement points to a few graphics issued by the National Hurricane Center to support Trump's claims. The maps show percentage possibility of tropical storm force winds in the United States. Parts of Alabama were covered, usually with 5 percent to 10 percent chances, between Aug. 27 and Sept. 3. Maps on Aug. 30 grew to cover far more of Alabama, but for only 12 hours, and the highest percentage hit 20 percent to 30 percent before quickly shrinking back down.

    © Copyright Original Source


    *emphasis mine

    Which will be dismissed as political, despite documentation.
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"


  7. Amen myth amen'd this post.
  8. #46
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,024
    Amen (Given)
    9006
    Amen (Received)
    5553
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    Thanks for finally commenting my actual point, even though it was like pulling teeth to get it out of you, and your comment was a curt dismissal with no actual argument beyond an unsupported assertion of a fact. Also, thanks for repeating yourself again. Saying it for like the 8th time is sure to convince me, especially when it's a poor argument. But you keep on doing you. People getting the weather from the White House? When did I say that? Exactly, I didn't, you're just saying random stuff again.
    YOU said this:
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    What a disgrace. His cavalier treatment of the truth caused confusion an distraction as multiple states prepared for a major emergency. And now, he can't even admit he made a mistake, let alone apologize for it. I'm so angry that I had to vote for this morally-depraved idiot.

    If anyone is curious about the details of this incident, I found a good article written by a meteorologist. https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...e-forecasters/
    *emphasis mine

    It DID NOT HAPPEN. Nothing happened - as I have stated repeatedly - that in any way substantiates the above statement.

    Broadcasting the map caused NO discernible 'confusion an distraction' (sp).


    I was going to ask you a serious of questions: like why it has no bearing in the "real world",
    No panic or official actions occurred as a direct result of the 'broadcast'.

    when it caused meteorologists to be distracted
    Now someone correcting a simple error is a distraction?


    and now has NOAA reversing itself
    While providing documentation that in fact supports Trump's claim.


    as the Trump Administration forces yet another federal agency to bend to it's will despite pesky things like facts.
    If the pesky facts refute Trump, where'd they get the pesky documentation.

    Also, considering how this is another reason why voters (including people who voted for Trump like myself) can't trust anything at all he says.
    Because what, you won't even consider he might have had a reason - or he's just supposed to be infallible?
    I was going to ask how, as a Christian, you seem to have such unabashed support for Trump?
    How does 'maybe he wasn't completely airheaded' translate to unabashed support? Literally the only valid argument I've seen in weeks was an aside between KG and Sam. Otherwise, it's been an endless parade of 'orange man bad'. He literally gets criticized for every nonsense thing in the book - but NOTHING on policy.

    Yes, I get Roe v. Wade, it's why I voted for him....but do we really have to always defend him despite obvious blunders?
    Only those of us who think fairness is a good idea.
    But it's very difficult to argue with you when you spend all your time repeating yourself, attacking straw men, and ignoring the very things I'm saying in the first place. Kinda hard for the discussion to go anywhere, don't you think? Unless you want to pay attention to the issues at hand and have a real discussion, I'll be withdrawing form arguing with you about this any further.
    I answered what you said - quoted above. I repeated myself because you seem to think that evidence contrary to your assertion does not exist. It's no strawman - it's the counter argument to what you said and reaffirmed in this post.

    The reason there was no discernible confusion and distraction was because we don't get our weather from the WH - your 'confusion and distraction' depends on the WH, which is effectively calling us morons, which is what started this.
    Last edited by Teallaura; 09-06-2019 at 08:38 PM.

  9. #47
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,318
    Amen (Given)
    145
    Amen (Received)
    630
    Useful chart here. By Sept. 1, NHS had all but removed AL from the forecast cone.

    ED0aMhsWsAAYB1f.jpg
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"


  10. #48
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,024
    Amen (Given)
    9006
    Amen (Received)
    5553
    Okay, so, calmer now and read the new article again.

    First: my apologies for getting so angry. I shouldn't have done that - I took my irritation out on you, Myth, and I sincerely apologize.

    Second, having reread the material, I think the real problem was Birmingham. Either they got permission to respond to the President, in which case some supervisor is an idiot, or, more likely, they just smarted off. That could be political - B'ham is as blue as it gets, or NWS hires teenagers for its social media work. Either way, B'ham mishandled the situation.

    And yes, I'm sure - I have had to tell doctors they made treatment mistakes (because most doctors even now rarely see syphilis cases) and never once did one complain. A few asked for protocol copies - which is perfectly sensible - and all authorized the corrected treatments.

    What should have happened is that NWS should have contacted the President's office directly and explained the problem. What happened was B'ham contradicted him publicly - and wasn't even polite about it (this makes me think politics played a role - it's a Southern thing). Hilarity predictably ensues.

    And before y'all defend the twerp in B'ham - would you rudely contradict your superior in public?

  11. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
  12. #49
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,318
    Amen (Given)
    145
    Amen (Received)
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Okay, so, calmer now and read the new article again.

    First: my apologies for getting so angry. I shouldn't have done that - I took my irritation out on you, Myth, and I sincerely apologize.

    Second, having reread the material, I think the real problem was Birmingham. Either they got permission to respond to the President, in which case some supervisor is an idiot, or, more likely, they just smarted off. That could be political - B'ham is as blue as it gets, or NWS hires teenagers for its social media work. Either way, B'ham mishandled the situation.

    And yes, I'm sure - I have had to tell doctors they made treatment mistakes (because most doctors even now rarely see syphilis cases) and never once did one complain. A few asked for protocol copies - which is perfectly sensible - and all authorized the corrected treatments.

    What should have happened is that NWS should have contacted the President's office directly and explained the problem. What happened was B'ham contradicted him publicly - and wasn't even polite about it (this makes me think politics played a role - it's a Southern thing). Hilarity predictably ensues.

    And before y'all defend the twerp in B'ham - would you rudely contradict your superior in public?
    If my job was to inform the public of dangerous weather conditions and if my superior was making a gross misstatement of fact regarding those weather conditions, yes, definitely.

    --Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"


  13. #50
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    52,374
    Amen (Given)
    1112
    Amen (Received)
    19061
    An interesting development...

    Source: NOAA backs Trump on Alabama forecast, and rebukes Weather Service office that accurately contradicted him


    The federal agency that oversees the National Weather Service has sided with President Donald Trump over its own scientists in the ongoing controversy over whether Alabama was at risk of a direct hit from Hurricane Dorian.

    In a statement released Friday afternoon, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) stated Alabama was in fact threatened by the storm at the time Trump tweeted Alabama would "most likely be hit (much) harder than anticipated."

    Referencing archived hurricane advisories, the NOAA statement said that information provided to the president and the public between Aug. 28 and Sept. 2 "demonstrated that tropical-storm-force winds from Hurricane Dorian could impact Alabama."

    In an unusual move, the statement also admonished its National Weather Service office in Birmingham, Alabama, which had released a tweet contradicting Trump's claim and stating, "Alabama will NOT see any impacts from #Dorian."

    The NOAA statement said: "The Birmingham National Weather Service's Sunday morning tweet spoke in absolute terms that were inconsistent with probabilities from the best forecast products available at the time."

    Released six days after Trump's first tweet on the matter, the NOAA statement was unsigned, neither from the acting head of the agency nor any particular spokesman. It also came a day after the president's homeland security and counterterrorism adviser released a statement justifying Trump's claims of the Alabama threat.

    The NOAA statement Friday makes no reference to the fact that when Trump tweeted that Alabama was at risk, it was not in the National Hurricane Center's "cone of uncertainty," which is where forecasters determine the storm is most likely to track. Alabama also had not appeared in the cone in days earlier, and no Hurricane Center text product ever mentioned the state.

    Trump's tweet that Alabama would be affected by the storm gained national attention Wednesday when he presented a modified version of the forecast cone from Aug. 29, extended into Alabama - hand-drawn using a Sharpie. The crudely altered map appeared to represent an effort to retroactively justify the original Alabama tweet.

    The doctored map went viral, becoming a source of ridicule among political pundits and late-night talk show hosts, who accused the president of dishonesty.

    Altering official government weather forecasts is actually illegal. Per 18 U.S. Code 2074, which addresses false weather reports: "Whoever knowingly issues or publishes any counterfeit weather forecast or warning of weather conditions falsely representing such forecast or warning to have been issued or published by the Weather Bureau, United States Signal Service, or other branch of the Government service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ninety days, or both." (The Weather Service is the modern version of the Weather Bureau.)

    In the face of criticism about the modified map, Trump fired off additional tweets Wednesday and Thursday, insisting Alabama was at risk all along, including presenting a map from Aug. 29 depicting a small possibility that Alabama would see tropical-storm-force winds.




    Source

    © Copyright Original Source



    Story continues at link provided


    ETA: I see Teal already mentioned this.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •