Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump the Needler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    How so? There was no map like the one Trump drew. There were different, earlier maps that had a larger cone which included AL but there was no map that had Trump's little "see i was right" bump.

--Sam
    I was talking about your statement, "compelled the relevant agencies to backtrack and essentially create a false record."

You are claiming that NOAA went back and created maps to match what Trump said?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      That looks like a twebber going on and on for hundreds of pages rather than admitting they are wrong. Sort of a rightist TDS propaganda issue.
      I know you were trying to make a clever, sarcastic response, but you missed and just sounded stupider than usual.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I know you were trying to make a clever, sarcastic response, but you missed and just sounded stupider than usual.
        No, just pointing out the irony of your accussation.

Comment

No, just pointing out the irony of your accussation.
          You missed.

Comment

I was talking about your statement, "compelled the relevant agencies to backtrack and essentially create a false record."

You are claiming that NOAA went back and created maps to match what Trump said?
            No, I'm claiming that NOAA's statement, the Rear Admiral's statement, etc. were essentially creating a false record to support Trump's false claim that AL was likely to be hit unexpectedly hard when he made the tweet.

If they had created actual false documentation to that effect, I wouldn't use the word "essentially" and I'd consider that a federal offense.

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

That "database" is a joke. It lists stuff like opinions, obvious hyperbole, errors, etc as "lies"
              Look again. Find the word "lie."

Whoops. No need to apologize. You were lied to, and you believed it, and now you know better.

The word "lie" is still reserved for statements known to be untrue made with the intent to deceive.

It has no credibility and is just leftist TDS propaganda.
              That's the standard handwave. The folks telling you it has no credibility because it's partisan ... have no credibility because they're partisan, and a vested interest in defending their partisan lies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                If it weren't for his penchant for repetition, they'd never get a break.
                They get a lot of breaks. Trump has a history of not merely telling lies, or doubling down on them, but repeating them endlessly after they've been debunked.

“We're building the wall faster and better than ever.”

In fact, all of the "new wall" is replacement barrier.

190 times.

“There has never been a time in the history of our country like we have right now. The highest number of people employed, the best employment numbers for African Americans, Hispanic, women -- for everybody. I mean, the best numbers we've ever had.”

In fact, by just about any measure, Eisenhower, Johnson, Grant, and even Clinton had better economies, and if we're instead measuring improvement, well ... nobody can touch Obama, from -700,000 jobs a month to today's figures, while bringing down the deficit.

186 times.

“China is intent on continuing to receive the hundreds of Billions of Dollars they have been taking from the U.S. with unfair trade practices and currency manipulation. So one-sided, it should have been stopped many years ago!”

The biggest problem with China is theft of intellectual property. But he's nowhere on this. Instead he rails against trade deficits he doesn't understand. Trump simply cannot get his head around how trade deficits work, despite having the best resources on the planet to turn to for explanations.

166 times.

“Biggest Tax and Regulation Cuts in History”

Trump tax cuts: 0.9 percent of GDP. Reagan: 2.89 percent. Even Obama had bigger tax cuts.

162 times.

“We're trying to have a good relationship [with Russia]. It’s very hard, in light of the phony witch hunt, which is now dead. ”

The FBI, the CIA, and the NSA all say there was nothing phony about the investigation, as did Mueller's indictments. Rejecting all of these, he instead chooses to accept denials from Putin.

159 times.

“The greatest betrayal committed by the Democrats is their support for open borders, and these open borders would overwhelm schools and hospitals, drain public services, and flood communities with poisonous drugs.”

All available research says immigrants, including the undocumented, have a lower crime rate, and beefed up border security has been part of every immigration package they've pursued.

143 times.

“For the last 20 years, China’s taken hundreds and hundreds of billions of dollars out of our country.”

While shipping hundreds of billions of product in. That being how trade works. He'll never understand this.

130 times.

“We're rebuilding the awesome might of the United States military, and soon it will be stronger, relatively speaking, than at any time in our history, and when we took over, it was depleted. We took over a depleted military. It's not depleted anymore, I can tell you that.”

It wasn't depleted. What decreases there were in the military budget can all be accounted for by drawdowns in Iraq and Afghanistan, not in procurement.

105 times.

Those are my brief summaries. More robust explanations are at the original link. This is by no means an exhaustive list of his repeated deceptions, just the top of that list, as folks who actually check the fact checker would know.

Comment

NOAA’s chief scientist will investigate why agency backed Trump over its experts on Dorian, email shows
                  He also wrote that “the content of this news release is very concerning as it compromises the ability of NOAA to convey life-saving information necessary to avoid substantial and specific danger to public health and safety."

“If the public cannot trust our information, or we debase our forecaster’s warnings and products, that specific danger arises,” McLean wrote.

As a result, McLean told his staff that “I am pursuing the potential violations of our NOAA Administrative Order on Scientific Integrity."

“I have a responsibility to pursue these truths,” he added. “I will.” McLean has extensive experience in NOAA’s ocean programs and is also an attorney who has practiced marine resource law. He has been awarded the Department of Commerce Silver and Bronze medals, among other accolades.

Public health and safety: 1
                  Stable sharpie: significantly less.

Left unsaid is the reason Trump wasn't in Poland, as originally planned. He cancelled the trip, sending Pence in his place, ostensibly to keep abreast of the impacts of Hurricane Dorian, but more likely it seems, to get in a couple more rounds of golf at one of his courses.

President Trump Seen at the Golf Course While Hurricane Dorian Approaches the U.S.
                  The President has no plans listed on his public schedule for Monday. He was originally set to spend this weekend in Poland commemorating the start of World War II. However, that trip was canceled as the threat posed by Hurricane Dorian became more clear.

Trump was also seen at the golf course on Saturday.

Video appears to show Trump golfing in Virginia in the run-up to catastrophic Hurricane Dorian
                  President Donald Trump appeared to be playing golf Saturday, just days before parts of the southeastern US were expected to be battered by the Category 5 Hurricane Dorian, which the National Hurricane Center has called catastrophic.

Official communications from the White House and statements from Trump ahead of the weekend trip had suggested Trump would be spending his time at Camp David in Maryland monitoring and preparing for the storm.

According to press pool reports, however, Trump traveled to his Sterling, Virginia, golf course Saturday morning by helicopter from Camp David. The White House press secretary, Stephanie Grisham, reportedly told reporters that someone from the Federal Emergency Management Agency was briefing Trump on the hurricane every hour.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    No, I'm claiming that NOAA's statement, the Rear Admiral's statement, etc. were essentially creating a false record to support Trump's false claim that AL was likely to be hit unexpectedly hard when he made the tweet.

If they had created actual false documentation to that effect, I wouldn't use the word "essentially" and I'd consider that a federal offense.

--Sam
                    yep that sounds paranoid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                      Look again. Find the word "lie."

Whoops. No need to apologize. You were lied to, and you believed it, and now you know better.

The word "lie" is still reserved for statements known to be untrue made with the intent to deceive.

That's the standard handwave. The folks telling you it has no credibility because it's partisan ... have no credibility because they're partisan, and a vested interest in defending their partisan lies.
                      Well just reading through a few of the statements it looks like many objections are just the opinions of the blog who disagree with Trump, or take something he said literally when he was using hyperbole. Or claiming Trump doesn't understand something which they claim they do (more opinion)

Like:

“ I would love to see the Democrats sit down and work out the loopholes in 20 minutes -- because that's what it would take -- and work out asylum. But we're moving along with an asylum fix and asylum bill. Lindsey Graham is heading it up very capably, and we'll see what happens.”

Trump claims it would be easy to quickly make a deal -- 45 minutes, or even as little as 15 minutes. But there is relatively little support in Congress for many of his anti-immigration proposals. When the Senate voted in 2018 on different options, Trump's plan received the fewest number of votes, including many Republican "nay" votes.
                      ====

“Agricultural products and exports have increased by more than $10 billion, and beef exports have increased by more than 31 percent.”

This claim lacks context. Agricultural exports have grown by more than $10 billion, according to USDA data, but that is the smallest surplus since 2006.

====

“We've been there for 19 years. We're really serving as policemen. We could win Afghanistan in two days or three days or four days, if we wanted. But I'm not looking to kill 10 million people.”

The U.S. has had a presence in Afghanistan for 18 years. Trump’s suggestion would wipe out one-third of the Afghani population and many experts believe would require nuclear force. Still, there’s no guarantee that such an extreme move would ultimately lead to a stable Afghanistan.

[That last one is idiotic. They are responding as if Trump said he was going to wipe out Afghans when he clearly said he did not want to and was making a hyperbolic statement]

The page is a joke, Juv. It is a perfect example of "straining at gnats"

Comment

• I'm not one to believe the claims that Trump is always playing 4-d chess against it's opponents, because I honestly don't think he's that smart, too self-absorbed and narcissistic for that. But his latest tweet with the cat meme seems to be the proof of that, at least in this instance. What did this distract from? The billion dollars he allocated from the military to the border wall, which got buried with this dumb story.

Comment

And I for one believe it's intentional. He certainly has been working in the interest of Putin and Russia.
                          And this:
                          Washington (CNN) — In a previously undisclosed secret mission in 2017, the United States successfully extracted from Russia one of its highest-level covert sources inside the Russian government, multiple Trump administration officials with direct knowledge told CNN.

A person directly involved in the discussions said that the removal of the Russian was driven, in part, by concerns that President Donald Trump and his administration repeatedly mishandled classified intelligence and could contribute to exposing the covert source as a spy.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            And this:
                            um, if Trump was deliberately helping the Russians, he would have just told them about this guy in secret long ago.

Comment

um, if Trump was deliberately helping the Russians, he would have just told them about this guy in secret long ago.
                              Had he known, he most probably would have told Putin long ago. He gave them classified info, he blocked bi-partison sanctions against Russia, he blocked bi-partison military aid to Ukraine in the face of Russia's Eastern Ukraine occupation, he's fighting to allow Russia back in to the G-8 which they were thrown out of for their siezing of Crimea, he defends Putin and Russia against his own intelligence. I mean seriously, when are you Trumpsters going to wake up!

Comment

Had he known, he most probably would have told Putin long ago. He gave them classified info, he blocked bi-partison sanctions against Russia, he blocked bi-partison military aid to Ukraine in the face of Russia's Eastern Ukraine occupation, he's fighting to allow Russia back in to the G-8 which they were thrown out of for their siezing of Crimea, he defends Putin and Russia against his own intelligence. I mean seriously, when are you Trumpsters going to wake up!
                                CIA slams CNN's 'misguided' and 'simply false' reporting on alleged CIA spy's extraction from Kremlin

The Central Intelligence Agency on Monday evening slammed what it called CNN's "misguided" and "simply false" reporting, after the cable channel's chief national security correspondent authored a hole-filled piece claiming that the CIA had pulled a high-level spy out of Russia because President Trump had "repeatedly mishandled classified intelligence and could contribute to exposing the covert source as a spy."

The extraordinary CIA rebuke came as The New York Times published a bombshell piece late in the evening, which largely contradicted CNN's reporting. According to the Times, CIA officials "made the arduous decision in late 2016 to offer to extract the source from Russia" — weeks before Trump even took office.

...The purported spy refused the 2016 offer of extraction, the Times reported, citing family concerns. But the CIA "pressed again months later after more media inquiries" threatened the source, and he relented, according to the paper.

..."CNN's narrative that the Central Intelligence Agency makes life-or-death decisions based on anything other than objective analysis and sound collection is simply false," CIA Director for Public Affairs Brittany Bramell said in the agency's statement.

Bramwell continued: "Misguided speculation that the President's handling of our nation's most sensitive intelligence — which he has access to each and every day — drove an alleged exfiltration operation is inaccurate."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cia...d-exfiltration

Comment