Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump the Needler

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    When? The map in question was based on that briefing - he later stated the model changed while explaining why he'd mentioned Alabama.

Seriously, this is the stupidest controversy ever.
    No, the map he showed was a later map issued with the Alabama part visually added in a different tone - with one aide confirming it was his handwriting.

It's not a stupid controversy. Altering a weather map is a federal offense. Weren't you just arguing in the other thread that the rule of law requires prosecution of crimes?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    Teallaura, I didn't imply that anyone other than Trump was a moron. His initial Tweet isn't what offends me, it's his subsequent follow-up tweets that were even more inaccurate. He has an inability to keep his mount shut (and speak the truth). And this lead to distraction in the media about something that wouldn't have been an issue if he hadn't made it one. My concern is that the distraction of the press during such a major disaster has potentially serious consequences....not because people can't watch the news, but because if the news isn't accurately reporting information in a timely manner, people may not even have access to that information.
    I know you mean well - but you're still calling us all morons. No one looks to the president for weather reports - and no agency is so screwed up that they don't know who to call for an update - and it's not the WH.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I know you mean well - but you're still calling us all morons. No one looks to the president for weather reports - and no agency is so screwed up that they don't know who to call for an update - and it's not the WH.
    I don't see anything in myth's post that implies anything about people in Alabama in particular. In fact, IIRC, he is from the Deep South himself.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

4. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Also Teal....I'm a southerner, born and bred.Still live in the south, and my state is currently experiencing the impact of Dorian.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    No, the map he showed was a later map issued with the Alabama part visually added in a different tone - with one aide confirming it was his handwriting.

It's not a stupid controversy. Altering a weather map is a federal offense. Weren't you just arguing in the other thread that the rule of law requires prosecution of crimes?
    Stupidly interpreting the law also undermines it - altering a map for official release (the ones the law concerns) is not the same thing as drawing on an official map. No one - totally irrespective of the DOJ's finding - would EVER be prosecuted for taking a sharpie to a map like that. That's not what the law is about.

Whoever drew on it was imitating an earlier map - there's literally no rational way to make that into an attempt to commit fraud.

You and Sam were just discussing a serious issue that is a valid criticism as a freaking side note. But you think Sharpiegate matters?!

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Right.

So...let me give an exaggerated scenario to illustrate my concern. Let's say I live in a flood plain on the outer fringes of the area impacted by a hurricane. Everything looks like our area will be fine, and I know about the hurricane, but I'm not playing close attention to news because it's not gonna hit us. Suddenly, all my usual sources of media spend 95% of their time reporting on the price of crayons in China. I don't know that I should check the forecast, or that the forecast models have changed and my home is now threatened with flooding. The media reports this information, but only in passing and I don't see that -- because they're focusing on crayons and not the storm. Am I stupid to not know what's going on, or is it possible that some irresponsible person prodded the media to loose focus on the issue that's important to me?

I know I'm exaggerating here, and I really hope that no one lost their lives or homes because of this media hoopla. I get that it's unlikely to, because local media would HOPEFULLY be focused on the storm. But we live in age were people don't often watch local TV or radio (I don't have cable or own a regular radio that's not in my car). With national media sources focused on Trumps false Tweets as he refused to admit a mistake or offer accurate information in rebuttal.....the possibility exists. I'm praying no one was harmed because of our President's narcissism.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

You and Sam were just discussing a serious issue that is a valid criticism as a freaking side note. But you think Sharpiegate matters?!
    I think it's problematic when the President of the United States cannot be trusted to accurately communicate information, yes. This particular issue isn't consequential in the long run, but the notion that he is willing to use his office to communicate obvious falsehoods and will not correct them even in the face of overwhelming evidence certainly matters.

(And be honest with yourself. Would you be downplaying it to this extent had Obama altered a map?)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    Also Teal....I'm a southerner, born and bred.Still live in the south, and my state is currently experiencing the impact of Dorian.
    We didn't get distracted, or panic. We Alabamians have enough sense to look up the local weather.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Whoever drew on it was imitating an earlier map - there's literally no rational way to make that into an attempt to commit fraud.
    Even if I granted the legal side for the sake of argument, isn't it problematic that he still portrayed that as the current map, and with plenty of national attention on the issue by this point, thought it was more important to prove he was right than to actually make sure the most current, accurate information was out there?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I think it's problematic when the President of the United States cannot be trusted to accurately communicate information, yes. This particular issue isn't consequential in the long run, but the notion that he is willing to use his office to communicate obvious falsehoods and will not correct them even in the face of overwhelming evidence certainly matters.

(And be honest with yourself. Would you be downplaying it to this extent had Obama altered a map?)
    Yes - I still think Christy did the right thing and that going off the deep end at the little stuff (hint: humans will get things wrong) distracts from the stuff that matters. Obama was a terrible president - but the beer summit was kinda cool - owning his screw up did impress me.

This is still the stupidest controversy ever. It's like Trump can't do enough actually messed up to satisfy the haters.

12. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.