Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump the Needler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myth View Post
    Please read more carefully. You're completely ignoring my actual concern.

My concern is about the information being BROADCAST by the media, not the public's ability to interpret it. The public's ability to interpret information is not generally impressive, but that's another argument (and one which I have so far said nothing at all about in this thread).
    No, I got it. What idiot wouldn't look up the local immediately? None. And no one panicked, no agencies went into over drive - the public here is kind used to weather reporting as life saving - happens twice a year, every year. We hear 'soandso said' and we immediately look it up, or turn on the news, to find out what we need to know.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      I posted the screenshot of NBC broadcasting one.
      No, you posted a screenshot of an earlier (~Aug. 29/30) projection cone that doesn't include a weird little hump.

It remains the case that Trump misrepresented the projection data and analysis at the time and then later (seemingly successfully) compelled the relevant agencies to backtrack and essentially create a false record.

Sure, locals can check up on local sources -- but if the President is forcing agencies to go back and call out NWS, for example, what are the chances that NWS in the future wouldn't contradict the President, allowing false information to stand?

At minimum, the President is creating a culture of disinformation and wasting public time and funds in the effort.

--Sam
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        No, you posted a screenshot of an earlier (~Aug. 29/30) projection cone that doesn't include a weird little hump.

It remains the case that Trump misrepresented the projection data and analysis at the time and then later (seemingly successfully) compelled the relevant agencies to backtrack and essentially create a false record.

Sure, locals can check up on local sources -- but if the President is forcing agencies to go back and call out NWS, for example, what are the chances that NWS in the future wouldn't contradict the President, allowing false information to stand?

At minimum, the President is creating a culture of disinformation and wasting public time and funds in the effort.

--Sam
        Blah, blah, hate Trump, blah blah.

Asked and ALREADY answered.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Why didn't he simply show a picture of the outdated map instead of drawing a new one, then?
          The WH has published one since - my guess? Didn't have it handy.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Blah, blah, hate Trump, blah blah.

Asked and ALREADY answered.
            Personally, given the unprecedented corruption of the Trump administration, I find Trump Defense Syndrome a much greater cause for concern than Trump Derangement Syndrome.

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

The WH has published one since - my guess? Didn't have it handy.
              Kinda weird that the WH was carrying around a giant board with a momentary projection of a hurricane's path and decided "well, that's what we've got on hand", I'd think.

Comment

No, I got it. What idiot wouldn't look up the local immediately? None. And no one panicked, no agencies went into over drive - the public here is kind used to weather reporting as life saving - happens twice a year, every year. We hear 'soandso said' and we immediately look it up, or turn on the news, to find out what we need to know.
                You don't "got it", or your you'd stop your attacking the straw man you erected. Belaboring the point you've made, which is entirely erroneous, isn't helping your argument. I don't understand how it's possible you think my argument here has anything to do with the public's ability to turn on the news.

You don't know what you don't know. One has to know there's a need to look up the information in order to have the desire to do so.

Quit. Attacking. The. Straw. Man.
                "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                  you don't "got it", or your you'd stop your attacking the straw man you erected. Belaboring the point you've made, which is entirely erroneous, isn't helping your argument. I don't understand how it's possible you think my argument here has anything to do with the public's ability to turn on the news.

quit. Attacking. The. Straw. Man.
                  No. One. Gets. Weather. From. The. White. House.

None of the negative effects you postulated happened, because

Originally posted by Myth
                  My concern is about the information being BROADCAST by the media, not the public's ability to interpret it. The public's ability to interpret information is not generally impressive, but that's another argument (and one which I have so far said nothing at all about in this thread).
                  *emphasis mine

Unless the public actually takes it seriously - which it didn't because WH - this makes no difference. I got it - but it had no real world bearing.
                  Last edited by Teallaura; 09-06-2019, 08:56 PM.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Kinda weird that the WH was carrying around a giant board with a momentary projection of a hurricane's path and decided "well, that's what we've got on hand", I'd think.
                    Not really, unless you're doing a hit piece.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Not really, unless you're doing a hit piece.
                      I'm not aware of any reason for a morning hurricane briefing to the President requiring a large, full-color print-out on poster board. They get the WH print shop to print out a new huge poster board every few hours or what there?

--Sam

Comment

I'm not aware of any reason for a morning hurricane briefing to the President requiring a large, full-color print-out on poster board. They get the WH print shop to print out a new huge poster board every few hours or what there?

--Sam
                        I'm not rewriting the whole thread for you. Asked and answered.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          No, the map he showed was a later map issued with the Alabama part visually added in a different tone - with one aide confirming it was his handwriting.

It's not a stupid controversy. Altering a weather map is a federal offense. Weren't you just arguing in the other thread that the rule of law requires prosecution of crimes?
                          Changing the map was silly.

Making a literal Federal case of it is asinine.

If what Trump (or whoever) did literally IS a Federal crime, it is just one more sign that we need to shut down the government and do a hard reboot. Or do without it at all.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

None of the negative effects you postulated happened, because

*emphasis mine

Unless the public actually takes it seriously - which it didn't because WH - this makes no difference. I got it - but it had no real world bearing.
                            Thanks for finally commenting my actual point, even though it was like pulling teeth to get it out of you, and your comment was a curt dismissal with no actual argument beyond an unsupported assertion of a fact. Also, thanks for repeating yourself again. Saying it for like the 8th time is sure to convince me, especially when it's a poor argument. But you keep on doing you. People getting the weather from the White House? When did I say that? Exactly, I didn't, you're just saying random stuff again.

I was going to ask you a serious of questions: like why it has no bearing in the "real world", when it caused meteorologists to be distracted and now has NOAA reversing itself as the Trump Administration forces yet another federal agency to bend to it's will despite pesky things like facts. Also, considering how this is another reason why voters (including people who voted for Trump like myself) can't trust anything at all he says.

I was going to ask how, as a Christian, you seem to have such unabashed support for Trump? Yes, I get Roe v. Wade, it's why I voted for him....but do we really have to always defend him despite obvious blunders?

But it's very difficult to argue with you when you spend all your time repeating yourself, attacking straw men, and ignoring the very things I'm saying in the first place. Kinda hard for the discussion to go anywhere, don't you think? Unless you want to pay attention to the issues at hand and have a real discussion, I'll be withdrawing form arguing with you about this any further.
                            "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Not that it matters to anyone but:

Source: Fox News

Weather agency now backs Trump, says Dorian could have impacted Alabama

© Copyright Original Source

In an unsigned statement, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said that "information provided by NOAA and the National Hurricane Center to President Trump and the wider public demonstrated that tropical-storm-force winds from Hurricane Dorian could impact Alabama." The advisories in question were dated from Wednesday, Aug. 28 to Monday, Sept. 2, the agency said.
                              The statement points to a few graphics issued by the National Hurricane Center to support Trump's claims. The maps show percentage possibility of tropical storm force winds in the United States. Parts of Alabama were covered, usually with 5 percent to 10 percent chances, between Aug. 27 and Sept. 3. Maps on Aug. 30 grew to cover far more of Alabama, but for only 12 hours, and the highest percentage hit 20 percent to 30 percent before quickly shrinking back down.

*emphasis mine

Which will be dismissed as political, despite documentation.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Mentioned that earlier; no one, anywhere, disputed that at one point in time, Alabama was in the hurricane projection cone. By the time Trump tweeted that Alabama would "most likely be hit (much) harder than anticipated", however, AL was almost completely outside of even the <10% tropical storm wind cone and the hurricane was pretty clearly turning north in a way that would remove AL from the cone entirely within hours (which is what happened). At no point during the day of Trump's tweet was there a projection that Alabama would most likely be hit, and much less than any such "hit" would be harder than expected.

But such is the way of Trump's lies and misstatements and how he adjusts them after the fact, often pulling other people into the disgrace. Would be good to see who, exactly, at NOAA wrote and directed that statement.

--Sam

Not that it matters to anyone but:

Weather agency now backs Trump, says Dorian could have impacted Alabama

In an unsigned statement, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said that "information provided by NOAA and the National Hurricane Center to President Trump and the wider public demonstrated that tropical-storm-force winds from Hurricane Dorian could impact Alabama." The advisories in question were dated from Wednesday, Aug. 28 to Monday, Sept. 2, the agency said.
                                The statement points to a few graphics issued by the National Hurricane Center to support Trump's claims. The maps show percentage possibility of tropical storm force winds in the United States. Parts of Alabama were covered, usually with 5 percent to 10 percent chances, between Aug. 27 and Sept. 3. Maps on Aug. 30 grew to cover far more of Alabama, but for only 12 hours, and the highest percentage hit 20 percent to 30 percent before quickly shrinking back down.

*emphasis mine

Which will be dismissed as political, despite documentation.

Comment