Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump the Needler

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    We didn't get distracted, or panic. We Alabamians have enough sense to look up the local weather.

Please read more carefully. You're completely ignoring my actual concern.

My concern is about the information being BROADCAST by the media, not the public's ability to interpret it. The public's ability to interpret information is not generally impressive, but that's another argument (and one which I have so far said nothing at all about in this thread).
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This is still the stupidest controversy ever. It's like Trump can't do enough actually messed up to satisfy the haters.
    This kind of illustrates my point. He's told so many nominally inconsequential lies at this point in time (like the size of his inauguration parades, etc.) that nobody pays any attention anymore, and that even his supporters shrug their shoulders that the behavior has been normalized. Letting instances like this just go because "it's no big deal" just exacerbates the problem. Meanwhile, we still have a president who remains unable to be trusted to accurately communicate anything. We need better.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Even if I granted the legal side for the sake of argument, isn't it problematic that he still portrayed that as the current map, and with plenty of national attention on the issue by this point, thought it was more important to prove he was right than to actually make sure the most current, accurate information was out there?
    Should he pretend he was mistaken when he repeated what he'd been told in a briefing? Does that clarify? He was explaining a statement he'd made - that's not disseminating false information. In context, he was clear - no one is responsible for others refusing to actually listen.

And you've never explained the heck out of something someone misconstrued in an argument? You don't take a fraction of the flack he does - but he's not allowed to defend himself and you are?

The whole thing is moronic. The out of date briefing, the argument and the controversy.

4. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There was no map that included a small hump over to AL on the cone but Trump has far greater legal issues to worry about.

The main problem here -- beyond Trump's inability to understand a map or keep up-to-date with hurricane projections (supposedly the reason he canceled his Poland trip), or admit a small screw-up -- is how the White House is compelling federal agencies to backtrack and cover for his mistake. Now NOAA is getting into the mess by releasing an unattributed statement that NWS was wrong to correct Trump about Alabama getting hit "hard" on Sept. 1 because earlier maps showed a small chance (<10%) that some of AL would see tropical storm-force winds.

That's a big deal and it mirror's Trump's earlier attempts to get the Park Service to cover for his false claim about inauguration crowds and his obstructive attempt to get Don McGahn to create a false record. The President should not be directing agencies and employees to create what they know to be false or misleading statements.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes - I still think Christy did the right thing and that going off the deep end at the little stuff (hint: humans will get things wrong) distracts from the stuff that matters. Obama was a terrible president - but the beer summit was kinda cool - owning his screw up did impress me.

This is still the stupidest controversy ever. It's like Trump can't do enough actually messed up to satisfy the haters.
    I do agree that Obama trying to make good on the beer summit thing was a good thing, if that's his actual motivation. I was a cop when that happened, and his administrations complete lack of support and antagonistic attitude towards LEOs in general would have given me pause. I remarked to my family at the time, that if Obama singled me out with those comments and then invited me to have a beer, I don't believe I'd have gone. There'd be nothing to really talk about, and I wouldn't have wanted to give him the positive PR over the issue. If he wanted to have a beer without advertising I was there, I'd have been game.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    This kind of illustrates my point. He's told so many nominally inconsequential lies at this point in time (like the size of his inauguration parades, etc.) that nobody pays any attention anymore, and that even his supporters shrug their shoulders that the behavior has been normalized. Letting instances like this just go because "it's no big deal" just exacerbates the problem. Meanwhile, we still have a president who remains unable to be trusted to accurately communicate anything. We need better.
    It's no deal at all. He was called a liar when he didn't lie. You're just looking for fault - this nitpicking is why no one takes the outrage seriously anymore. He could bomb Russia and I doubt most would believe either the media or the anti-Trump crowd at this point.

You can have better in 2024 - I want the only real shot we've had to end Roe stay and do that job. Besides, there's nothing of substance in the Dem field excepting maybe Williamson and Gabbard.

Felonious Sharpie - good grief.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    I do agree that Obama trying to make good on the beer summit thing was a good thing, if that's his actual motivation. I was a cop when that happened, and his administrations complete lack of support and antagonistic attitude towards LEOs in general would have given me pause. I remarked to my family at the time, that if Obama singled me out with those comments and then invited me to have a beer, I don't believe I'd have gone. There'd be nothing to really talk about, and I wouldn't have wanted to give him the positive PR over the issue. If he wanted to have a beer without advertising I was there, I'd have been game.
    And he didn't live up to it, in my estimation. But I try to give credit when due.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    There was no map that included a small hump over to AL on the cone...
    I posted the screenshot of NBC broadcasting one.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's no deal at all. He was called a liar when he didn't lie. You're just looking for fault - this nitpicking is why no one takes the outrage seriously anymore. He could bomb Russia and I doubt most would believe either the media or the anti-Trump crowd at this point.

You can have better in 2024 - I want the only real shot we've had to end Roe stay and do that job. Besides, there's nothing of substance in the Dem field excepting maybe Williamson and Gabbard.

Felonious Sharpie - good grief.
    Trump intentionally misrepresented the truth because he wanted to look good on Twitter. The distinction between an outright lie and an intentional deception is, in this instance, entirely beside the point.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why didn't he simply show a picture of the outdated map instead of drawing a new one, then?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill