Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump the Needler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    I've been in towns that small before, likely even smaller. There's a lot of them in the foothills of the rockies, from Colorado south to the border, where they try to bump their cred on highway signage by leaving out the pop and replacing it with elevation.

At a glance, at 70 mph, the towns look bigger that way.
    By "city doctor", I meant the particular doctor who was contracted to the city for services to employees and the incarcerated.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
      Teal, Sam is talking sense. You're simply unwilling to listen. What's that phrase, people believe what they want to believe? Yeah.

Is there literally no circumstance for which you would publicly make your boss like a moron? Literally nothing? Including people's lives and livelihoods? Because we are talking about that here.
      No, he really wasn't - it did not make sense. Maybe you understood him - but it was gibberish to me.

To topic:

What happens when you publicly embarrass someone? They fight back. If that person has more authority than I do, what will happen? They will almost always win. Net result: the bad info wins.

So no, stupid and ineffectual is not my go to response.

All my patients got the medicine they needed because I had enough sense to not mistreat my doctors for simple mistakes - or assume the worst about them. Give people a chance to fix their errors- and publicly humiliating folks doesn't do that.

The result of embarrassing people publicly is totally predictable. It is almost never positive.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        By "city doctor", I meant the particular doctor who was contracted to the city for services to employees and the incarcerated.
        Every party needs its pooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          No, he really wasn't - it did not make sense. Maybe you understood him - but it was gibberish to me.
          Literally everyone else reading this thread understood him just fine.

"When your last fifteen of those impossible! girlfriends dump ya, maybe the problem is you."

Teal, your friends, and that includes me, are getting worried about ya. You okay?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Sam's post made plenty of sense and summed up my point well (as did myth's similar recounting of workplace incidences where tact had to go out the window.) Seriously, is everything okay? It's really odd that you're doubling down on this, and your resorting to ad homs is uncharacteristic.
            I already conceded it may have made sense to others - it LITERALLY DID NOT MAKE SENSE TO ME. Don't tell ME what I do or do not understand!

I've felt bad for a week.

President or pauper, the go to response should not be disrespect.

You are arguing that rudeness is effective communication with Trump. I only see him fighting back against each time - whether he was right or wrong to begin with and things go predictably, hilariously wrong.

Here's the case I understand you guys to be making: if it's an emergency, publicly embarrassing a superior is a good plan.

My counterargument: How'd that actually work out? IF this had mattered (didn't in the emergency response) the controversy itself would have been more destructive - and was pointless. There was no need to publicly call out the president in that particular manner. It only caused a fight - and didn't help Alabama in the least.

Whether he should or shouldn't respond as you (guys) expect him to is irrelevant. If you (general) know he's a grease fire waiting to happen, quit tossing water on it.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I was in that situation once when I had called for an ambulance upon finding a man passed out in a parking lot of a drugstore. My shift commander heard me call for the squad, and arrived on scene and ordered me to cancel the ambulance. I was trying to tell him the guy was in a serious medical condition, but my shift commander kept insisting the guy was a drunk, and just needed to be taken to the drunk tank. I ended up getting pretty 'insubordinate', because I believed the guy wouldn't make it to the drunk tank alive.

Just then, the city doctor happened by, on his way home from a benefit. He checked out the victim, and immediately announced the man was in insulin shock and needed immediate attention as he was slipping into a diabetic coma.

(I had just been to breathalyzer training, and this was a textbook case of insulin shock vs inebriation)
              I'm not taking issue - but was rudeness the first club out of your bag - or did the insubordinate part come after he would not listen?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                It wasn't an attempt to commit fraud, it was his public attempt, another lie, to cover for his mistake rather than admitting to it.
                Jim, I'm not in the mood. If no fraud, no legal issue. We were discussing the misapplication of statute.

Gah, laws aren't supposed to be asininely legalistic!

You worded it wrong, but in concept, yeah, pretty much. He was fighting back after being called a liar - who wouldn't?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  Ok, then

Source: NOAA staff warned in Sept. 1 directive against contradicting Trump. Andrew Freedman, Colby Itkowitz and Jason Samenow. The Washington Post. 2019.09.07

In an agencywide directive sent Sept. 1 to National Weather Service personnel, hours after Trump asserted, with no evidence, that Alabama “would most likely be hit (much) harder than anticipated,” staff was told to “only stick with official National Hurricane Center forecasts if questions arise from some national level social media posts which hit the news this afternoon.”

They were also told not to “provide any opinion,” according to a copy of the email obtained by The Washington Post.

A NOAA meteorologist who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution said the note, understood internally to be referring to Trump, came after the National Weather Service office in Birmingham contradicted Trump by tweeting Alabama would “NOT see any impacts from the hurricane.”

The Birmingham office sent the tweet after receiving a flurry of phone calls from concerned residents following Trump’s message.

© Copyright Original Source

Emphasis added

--Sam
                  Yes, there are morons in Alabama - thought I covered that already.

Did the response tweet improve matters - or did it create a heck of a lot of work trying to smooth feathers that shouldn't have been ruffled?

Given that they are still dealing with it, the latter. A little tact and probably non of the rest would have happened.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    You are arguing that rudeness is effective communication with Trump.
                    No one else thought the response was rude, either.

My counterargument: How'd that actually work out?
                    The entire country laughing at him?

You see, what you're arguing for is America playing co-dependent to the President of the United States. I'm going to respectfully disagree on that. Personally, I'd like to think when it comes to that point, the right thing to do is to call for him to resign.

Looking at the never-Trumpers, and the George Will's, and the Max Boot's out there, and the George Conway's, and an ever-growing list of conservative stalwarts besides, we don't have to touch the partisan left to see this isn't just me. Dude is losing it. He's gotta go.

My biggest concern is that Nancy will prolong the damage to the country in the interest of letting him drag his whole party down with him in the swirly that's shaping up to be the 2020 election.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Yes, there are morons in Alabama - thought I covered that already.

Did the response tweet improve matters - or did it create a heck of a lot of work trying to smooth feathers that shouldn't have been ruffled?

Given that they are still dealing with it, the latter. A little tact and probably non of the rest would have happened.
                      Sorry that you're feeling poorly and I hope you feel better soon.

I think that NWS has a responsibility to the people in its area -- the morons included. That takes precedent over how the President might react and, as Juvenal says above, if we can't expect the President to react with the standard of maturity we demand of middle-school graduates ... well, that's a big problem.

--Sam
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                        Sorry that you're feeling poorly and I hope you feel better soon.

I think that NWS has a responsibility to the people in its area -- the morons included. That takes precedent over how the President might react and, as Juvenal says above, if we can't expect the President to react with the standard of maturity we demand of middle-school graduates ... well, that's a big problem.

--Sam
                        Thank you.

Answering the phone when Alabama wasn't expected to be in the area of effect and therefore wasn't in emergency response mode is not a crisis.

And having been a government employee, I seriously doubt B'ham followed protocol. At. All. (See my first post - not explaining it again.)

Keep kicking the dog, don't be surprised that it bites.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by myth View Post
                          Oh come on, that's a bit outlandish. He kept courting the Russians earlier on because he didn't intend to be President or think he could win. He wanted to parlay his presidential-candidate status into a Trump Tower in Moscow and/or whatever else he could. As he began to do better in the election, he realized being president was a real possibility and changed strategies.
                          Ukraine, sanctions, G7-G8, and so on. Even defunding defences in Eastern Europe to build the wall. Putin calls him Donald to reporters. It is very blatant and surprisingly pro-Russkie.

This is the guy that toys with nerve agents in foreign countries and is developing a nuclear powered flying bomb.
                          Last edited by firstfloor; 09-08-2019, 03:22 AM.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I already conceded it may have made sense to others - it LITERALLY DID NOT MAKE SENSE TO ME. Don't tell ME what I do or do not understand!

I've felt bad for a week.

President or pauper, the go to response should not be disrespect.

You are arguing that rudeness is effective communication with Trump. I only see him fighting back against each time - whether he was right or wrong to begin with and things go predictably, hilariously wrong.

Here's the case I understand you guys to be making: if it's an emergency, publicly embarrassing a superior is a good plan.

My counterargument: How'd that actually work out? IF this had mattered (didn't in the emergency response) the controversy itself would have been more destructive - and was pointless. There was no need to publicly call out the president in that particular manner. It only caused a fight - and didn't help Alabama in the least.

Whether he should or shouldn't respond as you (guys) expect him to is irrelevant. If you (general) know he's a grease fire waiting to happen, quit tossing water on it.
                            I'm sorry you're not feeling well and I'll pray you get to feeling better soon.

No one has here argued anything about communicating with Trump. The rebellious NOAA announcements were communication with the public. And yes, this person apparently thought it was necessary because of the limited time -- that's the very reason exigency exists. You're talking about having a good working relationship with your doctors in your other reply -- that's awesome. But you can only leverage that relationship and go the polite route when time exists. The most important thing in a crisis is NOT politeness -- it's getting things done. Stop acting like politeness is the holy grail of priorities.

I agree that respect for authority and generally being polite is important. How is it you imagine that I still have a job after embarrassing my bosses in public, or even getting into shouting matches behind closed doors about a proposed course of action? Because I show deference and respect for my superiors and all times. They get polite push back from me when I disagree, but it's not that important. They get insistent pushing from me if it is important. And if they try to treat me like a doormat, I let them know I'm not a doormat. I know where the line is, and you, apparently, do not.

Respectfully, your reading comprehension seems to be suffering from whatever illness is affecting you. You keeping picking fights with people about things they didn't say, arguing about things that aren't relevant (like building straw men and attacking them), and calling other people idiots when they disagree with you. I know this isn't normal for you and I like you Teal. Hope you feel better soon.
                            "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                              Every party needs its pooper.
                              And I'm a regular guy!
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm not taking issue - but was rudeness the first club out of your bag - or did the insubordinate part come after he would not listen?
                                It was a pretty urgent situation - his order for me to cancel the squad was before he had obtained any information, and he wasn't interested in being informed. He was far more interested in being in command.

Comment