Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Benny Hinn renounces prosperity gospel, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Sounds weird and I have heard it connected to the "do not touch the anointed means don'tdisagree with the preacher" idea. Which happens to be a red flag. If a church leader refuses to accept disagreements with what they say... not good!
    That is not the usual context. Usually, it is taken to be the Holy Spirit overwhelming a person, in a favorable way. NT scholar Gordon Fee has opined along the lines that some people are immature or undisciplined, and kind of "act out" whenever they feel the Spirit moving at all; in this context, he relates recollections from his youth, and a character at his church nicknamed "Ow-oo Ferris."
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      As long as he is still preaching his slain in the spirit nonsense, he is still a false teacher. ...
      Do you mean that advocating the "slain in the Spirit" experience is equivalent to preaching a false gospel? Or do you have a softer meaning of "false teacher"?
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        When Jimmy Swaggart was caught in sexual sin for the second time, he told his followers "God told me it's none of your business." I suppose you can't really argue with that

I've noticed a lot of these disgraced televangelists repeatedly try to make a comeback. I honestly think it would be for the best of the gospel if they didn't (or if they did, if they focused on the local church instead of making a celebrity comeback). Many of them may mean well but tend to be unable to completely shake off their old habits in the end. There are other people who can take up the slack.
        I agree. I think it was the popularity and fame which caused much of their problems in the first place. They let it go to their heads. So if they truly are repentant and want to change, they should be humble and remain out of the spot light, stop writing books, preaching on TV or large crowds. Stay away from the temptation of power and adulation.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          Do you mean that advocating the "slain in the Spirit" experience is equivalent to preaching a false gospel? Or do you have a softer meaning of "false teacher"?
          yes.

When people fell down before Christ, they fell towards him and bowed to him in worship. Benny pushes people away. But he still seems to glory in the adulation and power as he struts around raising his hand and knocking people over. He is not Christ. He is not healing anyone. He is teaching a false gospel of him knocking them over with the Holy Spirit. In fact, it is mostly people playing along because they don't want to appear to be unworthy or him actually pushing them over. He sells holy anointing oil and prayer rugs that he claims he has imbued with power. He teaches a gospel that says if you are sick it is because of a lack of faith. He has claimed to raise the dead. Over TV.

Benny Hinn: People around the world, who will lose loved ones, will say to undertakers, ah, not yet. I want to take my dead loved one, and place them in front of that TV set for twenty-four hours.

Paul Crouch: Benny Hinn!

Benny Hinn: I’m telling you.

Paul Crouch: Jesus!

Benny Hinn: People will be, people, I'm telling you I feel the anointing talking here!

Paul Crouch: Dear Jesus!

Benny Hinn: People are going to be canceling funeral services, and bringing their dead in their caskets, placing them - my God I feel the anointing here!

Benny Hinn: - Placing them before a television set - waiting for God’s power to come through and touch them. ...

Praise The Lord program broadcast on TBN, October 19, 1999

Comment

Um, Benny?

What's this about? I thought you've repented of your false teachings.

https://www.bennyhinn.org/event/2019...tners-meeting/

Join Pastor Benny Hinn in Orlando, Florida for a very special Partner Gathering and Miracle Healing Service!

During much of Pastor Benny Hinn’s ministry, Orlando has been the center for significant times and mighty moves of God. This special meeting exclusively for his Partners promises to be both powerful and memorable.

Says internationally-known evangelist and best-selling author Benny Hinn:

“I really want to meet with my precious Partners to talk with you face-to-face about all that God is doing lately. The Lord is moving powerfully, doing some truly powerful things in our midst, and I want to share what is happening. I also want to pray with you, shake your hand, and minister to you.”

Packed crowds are expected for this special service, so visitors are urged to arrive early. Come and experience the anointed worship, ministry and healing power of God!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Poor guy's an addict! To something. Power? Fame? Wealth? He seriously needs a metaphorical two by four to the head before he finds out what "your best life now" would really mean for his eternal quality of life! I'd rather have my best life in the new universe in the presence of God, thank you very much!
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

yes.

When people fell down before Christ, they fell towards him and bowed to him in worship. Benny pushes people away. But he still seems to glory in the adulation and power as he struts around raising his hand and knocking people over. He is not Christ. He is not healing anyone. He is teaching a false gospel of him knocking them over with the Holy Spirit. In fact, it is mostly people playing along because they don't want to appear to be unworthy or him actually pushing them over. He sells holy anointing oil and prayer rugs that he claims he has imbued with power. He teaches a gospel that says if you are sick it is because of a lack of faith. He has claimed to raise the dead. Over TV.
                While I agree that plenty of people fake it, I've actually known several people personally who sincerely had experiences where their knees buckled in very powerful services. Maybe it was psychosomatic, or maybe they locked their knees or something, but they claimed it was something spiritual and intense. I've never been "slain" (which I think is a goofy term), but have also felt what I can only describe as a sort of...I don't know...exhilarating energy (?), like almost an electricity in the air, during very Holy Spirit filled services. And there is precedence for this sort of atmosphere in the early Christian church (not necessarily falling out, but of spiritually charismatic services). I don't think there's any reason to think that's completely gone (unless you're a cessationist).

Benny Hinn's type of ministry which is light (or absent) on theology, heavy on emotionalism doesn't seem legit to me, and I think he's up there with snake handlers on making Spirit-filled services look silly, so that people avoid them for mostly dead churches devoid of the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. But that's how it goes with people. We're creatures of extremes. Finding the middle way is hard.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  Um, Benny?

What's this about? I thought you've repented of your false teachings.

https://www.bennyhinn.org/event/2019...tners-meeting/
                  Eh, technically a "healing service" isn't the same as a "prosperity service." Knowing Hinn's record, it's not at all unreasonable to think he'll slip in some of that prosperity gospel, but it's at least conceivable that he won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    Eh, technically a "healing service" isn't the same as a "prosperity service." Knowing Hinn's record, it's not at all unreasonable to think he'll slip in some of that prosperity gospel, but it's at least conceivable that he won't.
                    The healing is no better than the prosperity. Both are false teaching.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      The healing is no better than the prosperity. Both are false teaching.
                      I don't necessarily agree with that, but if memory serves, you are a cessasionist, so I can understand why we might disagree. At any rate, I guess my point was simply that this isn't necessarily the same thing as what's mentioned in the OP, not that I don't think Hinn won't slip into prosperity teaching in the course of a healing seminar.

Comment

I don't necessarily agree with that, but if memory serves, you are a cessasionist, so I can understand why we might disagree. At any rate, I guess my point was simply that this isn't necessarily the same thing as what's mentioned in the OP, not that I don't think Hinn won't slip into prosperity teaching in the course of a healing seminar.

Comment

yes.

When people fell down before Christ, they fell towards him and bowed to him in worship. Benny pushes people away. But he still seems to glory in the adulation and power as he struts around raising his hand and knocking people over. He is not Christ. He is not healing anyone. He is teaching a false gospel of him knocking them over with the Holy Spirit. In fact, it is mostly people playing along because they don't want to appear to be unworthy or him actually pushing them over. He sells holy anointing oil and prayer rugs that he claims he has imbued with power. He teaches a gospel that says if you are sick it is because of a lack of faith.
                          I wish you would not lump so many things together. There is no necessary link between being sanguine about the "slain in the Spirit" practice and the other things you are deriding.

And while those other things are obnoxious, they do not in and of themselves constitute a "false" gospel in the sense of a gospel that cannot save. Granted, they can certainly harm a person who is saved, and lay a foundation of wrong expectations for those being evangelized.

He has claimed to raise the dead. Over TV.

Benny Hinn: People around the world, who will lose loved ones, will say to undertakers, ah, not yet. I want to take my dead loved one, and place them in front of that TV set for twenty-four hours.

Benny Hinn: I’m telling you.

Paul Crouch: Jesus!

Benny Hinn: People will be, people, I'm telling you I feel the anointing talking here!

Paul Crouch: Dear Jesus!

Benny Hinn: People are going to be canceling funeral services, and bringing their dead in their caskets, placing them - my God I feel the anointing here!

Benny Hinn: - Placing them before a television set - waiting for God’s power to come through and touch them. ...

Praise The Lord program broadcast on TBN, October 19, 1999
                          Ew.

Ok, technically, he claimed to be prophesying, and claimed the dead *would* be raised, not that he *had* raised them.

That was almost as good as the 1980s tape I have of Cope, prophesying that "in six months" people would be raised from the dead "in wholesale lots," and that it would become widely known. (I've lost track of that tape, alas.)

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

While I agree that plenty of people fake it, I've actually known several people personally who sincerely had experiences where their knees buckled in very powerful services. Maybe it was psychosomatic, or maybe they locked their knees or something, but they claimed it was something spiritual and intense. I've never been "slain" (which I think is a goofy term), but have also felt what I can only describe as a sort of...I don't know...exhilarating energy (?), like almost an electricity in the air, during very Holy Spirit filled services. And there is precedence for this sort of atmosphere in the early Christian church (not necessarily falling out, but of spiritually charismatic services). I don't think there's any reason to think that's completely gone (unless you're a cessationist).

Benny Hinn's type of ministry which is light (or absent) on theology, heavy on emotionalism doesn't seem legit to me, and I think he's up there with snake handlers on making Spirit-filled services look silly, so that people avoid them for mostly dead churches devoid of the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. But that's how it goes with people. We're creatures of extremes. Finding the middle way is hard.
                            Even if you do believe in such experiences (I am not sure myself) - Benny Hinn has proved himself a false teacher many times over with his prosperity gospel and claims of raising the dead over TVs. So I am sure that the Holy Spirit is not involved in him slaying people in the 'spirit' on his stages. Why would God validate him in such a way? So if people are not faking, or just being pushed over (as I have seen several times) they are swooning because of some psychosomatic placebo effect.

Comment

I wish you would not lump so many things together. There is no necessary link between being sanguine about the "slain in the Spirit" practice and the other things you are deriding.

And while those other things are obnoxious, they do not in and of themselves constitute a "false" gospel in the sense of a gospel that cannot save. Granted, they can certainly harm a person who is saved, and lay a foundation of wrong expectations for those being evangelized.

Ew.

Ok, technically, he claimed to be prophesying, and claimed the dead *would* be raised, not that he *had* raised them.

That was almost as good as the 1980s tape I have of Cope, prophesying that "in six months" people would be raised from the dead "in wholesale lots," and that it would become widely known. (I've lost track of that tape, alas.)
                              OK I am not saying that God can't heal through others (I believe he healed my father after my mom's church anointed him with oil and the elders prayed over him) - I am condemning Hinn and the other so-called preachers on TBN who are obviously phony showmen who are making a mockery of God and the Gospel with their fake nonsense and their obvious greed.

Comment

Ew.

In Justin Peter's DVD series, Clouds Without Water, he shows a clip of Hinn saying that he did raise someone from the dead, and another clip saying that it didn't happen. Hinn also says he's never been sick, then contradicts himself by complaining about having a cold, and he wears glasses and is aging.

Peters did his masters thesis on Hinn. He knows what he's talking about.

Hinn is a charlatan and a false teacher.

Comment