Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Benny Hinn renounces prosperity gospel, but...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Poor guy's an addict! To something. Power? Fame? Wealth? He seriously needs a metaphorical two by four to the head before he finds out what "your best life now" would really mean for his eternal quality of life! I'd rather have my best life in the new universe in the presence of God, thank you very much!
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    yes.

When people fell down before Christ, they fell towards him and bowed to him in worship. Benny pushes people away. But he still seems to glory in the adulation and power as he struts around raising his hand and knocking people over. He is not Christ. He is not healing anyone. He is teaching a false gospel of him knocking them over with the Holy Spirit. In fact, it is mostly people playing along because they don't want to appear to be unworthy or him actually pushing them over. He sells holy anointing oil and prayer rugs that he claims he has imbued with power. He teaches a gospel that says if you are sick it is because of a lack of faith. He has claimed to raise the dead. Over TV.
    While I agree that plenty of people fake it, I've actually known several people personally who sincerely had experiences where their knees buckled in very powerful services. Maybe it was psychosomatic, or maybe they locked their knees or something, but they claimed it was something spiritual and intense. I've never been "slain" (which I think is a goofy term), but have also felt what I can only describe as a sort of...I don't know...exhilarating energy (?), like almost an electricity in the air, during very Holy Spirit filled services. And there is precedence for this sort of atmosphere in the early Christian church (not necessarily falling out, but of spiritually charismatic services). I don't think there's any reason to think that's completely gone (unless you're a cessationist).

Benny Hinn's type of ministry which is light (or absent) on theology, heavy on emotionalism doesn't seem legit to me, and I think he's up there with snake handlers on making Spirit-filled services look silly, so that people avoid them for mostly dead churches devoid of the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. But that's how it goes with people. We're creatures of extremes. Finding the middle way is hard.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Um, Benny?

What's this about? I thought you've repented of your false teachings.

https://www.bennyhinn.org/event/2019...tners-meeting/
    Eh, technically a "healing service" isn't the same as a "prosperity service." Knowing Hinn's record, it's not at all unreasonable to think he'll slip in some of that prosperity gospel, but it's at least conceivable that he won't.

4. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Eh, technically a "healing service" isn't the same as a "prosperity service." Knowing Hinn's record, it's not at all unreasonable to think he'll slip in some of that prosperity gospel, but it's at least conceivable that he won't.
    The healing is no better than the prosperity. Both are false teaching.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    The healing is no better than the prosperity. Both are false teaching.
    I don't necessarily agree with that, but if memory serves, you are a cessasionist, so I can understand why we might disagree. At any rate, I guess my point was simply that this isn't necessarily the same thing as what's mentioned in the OP, not that I don't think Hinn won't slip into prosperity teaching in the course of a healing seminar.

7. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't necessarily agree with that, but if memory serves, you are a cessasionist, so I can understand why we might disagree. At any rate, I guess my point was simply that this isn't necessarily the same thing as what's mentioned in the OP, not that I don't think Hinn won't slip into prosperity teaching in the course of a healing seminar.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

9. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    yes.

When people fell down before Christ, they fell towards him and bowed to him in worship. Benny pushes people away. But he still seems to glory in the adulation and power as he struts around raising his hand and knocking people over. He is not Christ. He is not healing anyone. He is teaching a false gospel of him knocking them over with the Holy Spirit. In fact, it is mostly people playing along because they don't want to appear to be unworthy or him actually pushing them over. He sells holy anointing oil and prayer rugs that he claims he has imbued with power. He teaches a gospel that says if you are sick it is because of a lack of faith.
    I wish you would not lump so many things together. There is no necessary link between being sanguine about the "slain in the Spirit" practice and the other things you are deriding.

And while those other things are obnoxious, they do not in and of themselves constitute a "false" gospel in the sense of a gospel that cannot save. Granted, they can certainly harm a person who is saved, and lay a foundation of wrong expectations for those being evangelized.

He has claimed to raise the dead. Over TV.

Benny Hinn: People around the world, who will lose loved ones, will say to undertakers, ah, not yet. I want to take my dead loved one, and place them in front of that TV set for twenty-four hours.

Paul Crouch: Benny Hinn!

Benny Hinn: Iím telling you.

Paul Crouch: Jesus!

Benny Hinn: People will be, people, I'm telling you I feel the anointing talking here!

Paul Crouch: Dear Jesus!

Benny Hinn: People are going to be canceling funeral services, and bringing their dead in their caskets, placing them - my God I feel the anointing here!

Paul Crouch: Benny Hinn!

Benny Hinn: - Placing them before a television set - waiting for Godís power to come through and touch them. ...

Praise The Lord program broadcast on TBN, October 19, 1999
    Ew.

Ok, technically, he claimed to be prophesying, and claimed the dead *would* be raised, not that he *had* raised them.

That was almost as good as the 1980s tape I have of Cope, prophesying that "in six months" people would be raised from the dead "in wholesale lots," and that it would become widely known. (I've lost track of that tape, alas.)
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

11. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    While I agree that plenty of people fake it, I've actually known several people personally who sincerely had experiences where their knees buckled in very powerful services. Maybe it was psychosomatic, or maybe they locked their knees or something, but they claimed it was something spiritual and intense. I've never been "slain" (which I think is a goofy term), but have also felt what I can only describe as a sort of...I don't know...exhilarating energy (?), like almost an electricity in the air, during very Holy Spirit filled services. And there is precedence for this sort of atmosphere in the early Christian church (not necessarily falling out, but of spiritually charismatic services). I don't think there's any reason to think that's completely gone (unless you're a cessationist).

Benny Hinn's type of ministry which is light (or absent) on theology, heavy on emotionalism doesn't seem legit to me, and I think he's up there with snake handlers on making Spirit-filled services look silly, so that people avoid them for mostly dead churches devoid of the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. But that's how it goes with people. We're creatures of extremes. Finding the middle way is hard.
    Even if you do believe in such experiences (I am not sure myself) - Benny Hinn has proved himself a false teacher many times over with his prosperity gospel and claims of raising the dead over TVs. So I am sure that the Holy Spirit is not involved in him slaying people in the 'spirit' on his stages. Why would God validate him in such a way? So if people are not faking, or just being pushed over (as I have seen several times) they are swooning because of some psychosomatic placebo effect.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    I wish you would not lump so many things together. There is no necessary link between being sanguine about the "slain in the Spirit" practice and the other things you are deriding.

And while those other things are obnoxious, they do not in and of themselves constitute a "false" gospel in the sense of a gospel that cannot save. Granted, they can certainly harm a person who is saved, and lay a foundation of wrong expectations for those being evangelized.

Ew.

Ok, technically, he claimed to be prophesying, and claimed the dead *would* be raised, not that he *had* raised them.

That was almost as good as the 1980s tape I have of Cope, prophesying that "in six months" people would be raised from the dead "in wholesale lots," and that it would become widely known. (I've lost track of that tape, alas.)
    OK I am not saying that God can't heal through others (I believe he healed my father after my mom's church anointed him with oil and the elders prayed over him) - I am condemning Hinn and the other so-called preachers on TBN who are obviously phony showmen who are making a mockery of God and the Gospel with their fake nonsense and their obvious greed.

14. Amen mossrose, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Ew.

In Justin Peter's DVD series, Clouds Without Water, he shows a clip of Hinn saying that he did raise someone from the dead, and another clip saying that it didn't happen. Hinn also says he's never been sick, then contradicts himself by complaining about having a cold, and he wears glasses and is aging.

Peters did his masters thesis on Hinn. He knows what he's talking about.

Hinn is a charlatan and a false teacher.