Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Benny Hinn renounces prosperity gospel, but...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    "Slain in th Spirit"? What the fudge brownie is that? Is the thing where people fall to the ground and claim that God knocked them down?
    Yes, we had this in a church I went to for a hot second.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Sounds weird and I have heard it connected to the "do not touch the anointed means don'tdisagree with the preacher" idea. Which happens to be a red flag. If a church leader refuses to accept disagreements with what they say... not good!
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Sounds weird and I have heard it connected to the "do not touch the anointed means don'tdisagree with the preacher" idea. Which happens to be a red flag. If a church leader refuses to accept disagreements with what they say... not good!
    When Jimmy Swaggart was caught in sexual sin for the second time, he told his followers "God told me it's none of your business." I suppose you can't really argue with that

I've noticed a lot of these disgraced televangelists repeatedly try to make a comeback. I honestly think it would be for the best of the gospel if they didn't (or if they did, if they focused on the local church instead of making a celebrity comeback). Many of them may mean well but tend to be unable to completely shake off their old habits in the end. There are other people who can take up the slack.
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If Benny Hinn has experienced a change of heart that's great... but I can't help but notice how soon this comes after his nephew published a book harshly criticizing him for hypocrisy. It feels like a face-saving move.

I suppose a less cynical explanation would be that the book was what got through to Benny. Still, the timing does seem a bit suspicious. I guess we'll see.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    "Slain in th Spirit"? What the fudge brownie is that? Is the thing where people fall to the ground and claim that God knocked them down?
    Yes. This is a common and longstanding Pentecostal practice, though not always done as flamboyantly as in Hinn's ministry.

FWIW, NT scholar Ben Witherington speaks favorably about the practice in this article (though the practice is not the focus of the article).

Also, NT scholar Cynthia Westfall makes some good points in her reply to this article critical of the practice.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That is not the usual context. Usually, it is taken to be the Holy Spirit overwhelming a person, in a favorable way. NT scholar Gordon Fee has opined along the lines that some people are immature or undisciplined, and kind of "act out" whenever they feel the Spirit moving at all; in this context, he relates recollections from his youth, and a character at his church nicknamed "Ow-oo Ferris."
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    As long as he is still preaching his slain in the spirit nonsense, he is still a false teacher. ...
    Do you mean that advocating the "slain in the Spirit" experience is equivalent to preaching a false gospel? Or do you have a softer meaning of "false teacher"?

Beige Nationalist.

8. Amen KingsGambit amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    When Jimmy Swaggart was caught in sexual sin for the second time, he told his followers "God told me it's none of your business." I suppose you can't really argue with that

I've noticed a lot of these disgraced televangelists repeatedly try to make a comeback. I honestly think it would be for the best of the gospel if they didn't (or if they did, if they focused on the local church instead of making a celebrity comeback). Many of them may mean well but tend to be unable to completely shake off their old habits in the end. There are other people who can take up the slack.
    I agree. I think it was the popularity and fame which caused much of their problems in the first place. They let it go to their heads. So if they truly are repentant and want to change, they should be humble and remain out of the spot light, stop writing books, preaching on TV or large crowds. Stay away from the temptation of power and adulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Do you mean that advocating the "slain in the Spirit" experience is equivalent to preaching a false gospel? Or do you have a softer meaning of "false teacher"?
    yes.

When people fell down before Christ, they fell towards him and bowed to him in worship. Benny pushes people away. But he still seems to glory in the adulation and power as he struts around raising his hand and knocking people over. He is not Christ. He is not healing anyone. He is teaching a false gospel of him knocking them over with the Holy Spirit. In fact, it is mostly people playing along because they don't want to appear to be unworthy or him actually pushing them over. He sells holy anointing oil and prayer rugs that he claims he has imbued with power. He teaches a gospel that says if you are sick it is because of a lack of faith. He has claimed to raise the dead. Over TV.

Benny Hinn: People around the world, who will lose loved ones, will say to undertakers, ah, not yet. I want to take my dead loved one, and place them in front of that TV set for twenty-four hours.

Paul Crouch: Benny Hinn!

Benny Hinn: Iím telling you.

Paul Crouch: Jesus!

Benny Hinn: People will be, people, I'm telling you I feel the anointing talking here!

Paul Crouch: Dear Jesus!

Benny Hinn: People are going to be canceling funeral services, and bringing their dead in their caskets, placing them - my God I feel the anointing here!

Paul Crouch: Benny Hinn!

Benny Hinn: - Placing them before a television set - waiting for Godís power to come through and touch them. ...

Praise The Lord program broadcast on TBN, October 19, 1999

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Um, Benny?

What's this about? I thought you've repented of your false teachings.

https://www.bennyhinn.org/event/2019...tners-meeting/

Join Pastor Benny Hinn in Orlando, Florida for a very special Partner Gathering and Miracle Healing Service!

During much of Pastor Benny Hinnís ministry, Orlando has been the center for significant times and mighty moves of God. This special meeting exclusively for his Partners promises to be both powerful and memorable.

Says internationally-known evangelist and best-selling author Benny Hinn:

ďI really want to meet with my precious Partners to talk with you face-to-face about all that God is doing lately. The Lord is moving powerfully, doing some truly powerful things in our midst, and I want to share what is happening. I also want to pray with you, shake your hand, and minister to you.Ē

Packed crowds are expected for this special service, so visitors are urged to arrive early. Come and experience the anointed worship, ministry and healing power of God!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.