Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Benny Hinn renounces prosperity gospel, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In itself a "healing service" is not a bad thing; James 5:14 seems to call for them. But I'm aware the term has a different connotation in modern day religion, and James never promises the healing will actually happen.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      In itself a "healing service" is not a bad thing; James 5:14 seems to call for them. But I'm aware the term has a different connotation in modern day religion, and James never promises the healing will actually happen.

And, the WoF movement has so intertwined health and wealth that I find it difficult to believe that there is any hope in separating the 2 issues.

I want to make it very clear that I believe that God still heals today. I believe that prayer and perhaps oil anointing and laying on of hands may be part of how God works, although those things do absolutely nothing on their own to effect healing.

I believe God performs miracles today. I do not believe God uses any so-called new apostle or any other person to affect a miracle. I do not believe God speaks new revelation through any person, so when Benny has spent 40 years claiming new revelation and healings and miracles, he is a false prophet and a liar. And he has, with this "repentance", admitted he is a false teacher, whether he thinks that is what he has done or not.

He needs to get out of ministry, he needs to apologize for all the money he has stolen over the years, and he needs to do as much reparation as is possible at this point in time. Then I might believe he has truly repented.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Bill the Cat has a sticky here, listing the various heretical word of faith preachers like Hinn, and their heresies:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...etical-beliefs

Saves time having to post them here. The whole WoF movement is corrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Bill the Cat has a sticky here, listing the various heretical word of faith preachers like Hinn, and their heresies:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...etical-beliefs

Saves time having to post them here. The whole WoF movement is corrupt.
          Hmm. Looking through some of those, while quite a bit of it is nonsense, some of it doesn't seem that far off from orthodox teaching. Like some of the talk about equating humanity and divinity sounds like a slightly mixed up view of the Orthodox Church's teachings on theosis. Joyce Meyer's view on the first page is an exaggerated take on the Harrowing of Hell. And the Bible does have clear passages on the power of faith and prayer.

I'm not arguing that the WoF stuff is legit, I don't think it is, and I think plenty of it is ignorant and/or crosses the border into heresy, but I'm cautious about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I've been to a few of these types of churches (I once went to a Rod Parsley service (oh brother, that was a nightmare)), and while I think things like selling prayer cloths and oils are Temple table flipping offences, and a lot of the hype and emotionalism grieves me to my spirit, what most of these types of churches are mainly guilty of is putting on a show, and exaggerating claims rather than preaching a sermon. I'm certain there are a number of Pastors in the movement that are straight up con artists, but having met a few personally, I sincerely believe that there are a number who are sincere Christians caught up in the hype of the movement.
          Last edited by Adrift; 09-11-2019, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Actually vv. 15-16 certainly do seem to promise that, and even support the "If you're sick, it's because you sinned" idea.

This is one of many things frustrating to those of us who want to believe that Scripture is understandable and trustworthy.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

This is lengthy, but very good.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Benny Hinn renounces prosperity gospel, says ‘Holy Ghost is just fed up with it’

Speaking on a Facebook live broadcast:

However, shortly after this announcement, one writer noticed that his website was still asking for $1000 a month, and he posted a subsequent video pitch asking for "seed money for debt elimination". So I suppose it remains to be seen if he has truly experienced a change in heart.
                Man that is terrible. He knows what he's doing is wrong and he's willingly violating his conscience and the testimony of the Holy Spirit to harm thousands of people for mammon
                "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

How foolish can a person be?
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
                    Man that is terrible. He knows what he's doing is wrong and he's willingly violating his conscience and the testimony of the Holy Spirit to harm thousands of people for mammon

And he's done it for 40 years!

Peters makes a good point in the video I posted last night, that if Hinn has had such a close relationship with God for the last 4 decades, why didn't God tell him way earlier that what he was teaching was wrong? Why wait until 2 years ago, and why did he continue with his false teaching?

Comment