Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Massive Muslim Immigration...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Perhaps, in your nannying, you missed the part where I clearly denounced both the sin and the crime, eh?
    You were writing about my posts calling posts about sexual abuse nanny-posts. I think you should reconsider your language and not be so concerned with my person that you forget to use a decent tone in the context.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    They are "NannyPosts" because, as I said earlier, you just tend to Google stuff to find "kinda sorta related stories", and you don't even make an attempt at making a point.
    So, they are nanny posts because you make certian claims about how I find them and describe them as "kinda sorta related stories" and are unaware of the rather obvious points these stories tell? Interesting conclusion. Not one I agree with.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, AGAIN, do you HAVE a point, Charles? And, if so, could you PLEASE reveal it? Soon?
    You are seriously asking for some reason to take interest in these stories? And you fail to see that the first one was a response to MM who told he had not heard these stories. So it was for his information. He and you started to make some claims that are wrong and so I shared further information for you.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
      You were writing about my posts calling posts about sexual abuse nanny-posts. I think you should reconsider your language and not be so concerned with my person that you forget to use a decent tone in the context.
      You really need to pay attention to context, Charles, and quit being such a whineybaby.

So, they are nanny posts because you make certian claims about how I find them and describe them as "kinda sorta related stories" and are unaware of the rather obvious points these stories tell? Interesting conclusion. Not one I agree with.
      Of course you don't agree - you're here to snit.

You are seriously asking for some reason to take interest in these stories?
      I'm asking how they relate - and what you're trying to prove. As I said, your own article says that the Southern Baptist denomination is one of the largest Christian agencies in the world. There will be abuses, and I condemn them each and every time.

And you fail to see that the first one was a response to MM who told he had not heard these stories. So it was for his information. He and you started to make some claims that are wrong and so I shared further information for you.
      No, I did NOT "fail to see" - this is a public venue, and I'll respond where and when I want. If you don't like it- perhaps you should private message.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You really need to pay attention to context, Charles, and quit being such a whineybaby.

Of course you don't agree - you're here to snit.

I'm asking how they relate - and what you're trying to prove. As I said, your own article says that the Southern Baptist denomination is one of the largest Christian agencies in the world. There will be abuses, and I condemn them each and every time.

No, I did NOT "fail to see" - this is a public venue, and I'll respond where and when I want. If you don't like it- perhaps you should private message.
        Do you really have a point?
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Now you are just acting like Peewee Herman?

Comment

I do, but explaining it to you would be like casting crispy bacon like we used to get before the war before yard gnomes.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And here is what you find to be "random stories":
              Yes. You didn't even know or care about this topic until it was brought up in this thread, and then you giddily ran to the nearest internet search engine to find any random story you could to throw in our faces.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Yes. You didn't even know or care about this topic until it was brought up in this thread, and then you giddily ran to the nearest internet search engine to find any random story you could to throw in our faces.
                So the sexual abuse of more than 700 human beings is a random story or a nanny story (according to CP) all based on claims about who I am and how I found the stories. Perhaps you should take a bit more interest in the more than 700 than in me. That would help both you and Cow Poke to find a decent and worthy tone.

It is interesting to watch how far you guys are willing to go in order to avoid the content and talk about something else...
                Last edited by Charles; 09-10-2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

So the sexual abuse of more than 700 human beings is a random story or a nanny story all based on claims about who I am and how I found the stories. Perhaps you should take a bit more interest in the more than 700 than in me. That would help both you and Cow Poke to find a decent and worthy tone.
                  Perhaps you should just stop trivializing these tragedies by using them for your own tawdry attacks.

Comment

Perhaps you should just stop trivializing these tragedies by using them for your own tawdry attacks.
                    Again you are making up a claim on why I post them and it simply is not true. Find a decent way to talk about this, CP.

Comment

Again you are making up a claim on why I post them and it simply is not true. Find a decent way to talk about this, CP.
                      Dear Charles.

Lovely day, isn't it? Why would you post these stories of tragedy of people you've never met, don't know, and never walked in their shoes, other than to try to score cheap points? You seem totally incapable of coming up with any kind of cogent point.

Now, if you actually HAVE a point, I'd love for you to share it.

Pass the skittles, please.

Your dear friend,

CP

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        Yes, that's the point. You don't seem to mind a religious community creating its own laws, that supercede the laws of a secular country they're in. The husband has done something illegal, yet instead of turning him over to the authorities, the woman is told to endure it. Furthermore after she's endured it, she's told to bring it stealthily to the Church. No mention of authorities. And the Church deals with the man, not the authorities.

The hasedic have similar courts, in fact they've infamously covered up a lot of crime in their own community, and handled it internally in various ways.

So I have a feeling its not religious courts having their own seperate rules you have a problem with Cow Poke?
                        Just watched the video. Is it possible you're reading more into this than Piper intended? Piper doesn't say anything about not going to the police. Taking a charitable view, I'm assuming he has in mind a broader picture about spousal conflict and divorce, which I'm sure pastors everywhere are regularly attempting to stem in their congregations. He seems to be distinguishing between rampant and/or violent abuse, and those who, say, step over the line in heated arguments, but who may still heed pastoral guidance. By "enduring it" I didn't take him to mean that the woman needs to just be the recipient of abuse, but that the first instinct probably shouldn't be divorce simply because the husband called her a lousy cook, or things got totally out of hand one night, and he slapped his wife. The husband should certainly not be doing either of those things (especially the slap), but within the Christian framework how do we deal with that? I have little doubt that Piper would be like "drop his butt" if the issue was consistent and unrepentant abuse, or if he, say punched his wife. I don't think that's at all what Piper has in mind.

But...I could be wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          Just watched the video. Is it possible you're reading more into this than Piper intended? Piper doesn't say anything about not going to the police. Taking a charitable view, I'm assuming he has in mind a broader picture about spousal conflict and divorce, which I'm sure pastors everywhere are regularly attempting to stem in their congregations. He seems to be distinguishing between rampant and/or violent abuse, and those who, say, step over the line in heated arguments, but who may still heed pastoral guidance. By "enduring it" I didn't take him to mean that the woman needs to just be the recipient of abuse, but that the first instinct probably shouldn't be divorce simply because the husband called her a lousy cook, or things got totally out of hand one night, and he slapped his wife. The husband should certainly not be doing either of those things (especially the slap), but within the Christian framework how do we deal with that? I have little doubt that Piper would be like "drop his butt" if the issue was consistent and unrepentant abuse, or if he, say punched his wife. I don't think that's at all what Piper has in mind.

But...I could be wrong.
                          Then I could be wrong, too, cause that's pretty much how I saw it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                            So the sexual abuse of more than 700 human beings is a random story...
                            Like I said, you didn't even know or care about this topic until it was brought up in this thread, and then you giddily ran to the nearest internet search engine to find any random story you could to throw in our faces. Don't pretend you have any concern beyond that.

My only contention was that discouraging abused women from going to the police was not a widespread practice in US churches. You randomly stumble across a story saying that 700 women claim this happened. Roughly 30-million women attend church each week. There are roughly 50,000 churches in the US. That hardly suggests a widespread practice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Like I said, you didn't even know or care about this topic until it was brought up in this thread, and then you giddily ran to the nearest internet search engine to find any random story you could to throw in our faces. Don't pretend you have any concern beyond that.

My only contention was that discouraging abused women from going to the police was not a widespread practice in US churches. You randomly stumble across a story saying that 700 women claim this happened. Roughly 30-million women attend church each week. There are roughly 50,000 churches in the US. That hardly suggests a widespread practice.
                              And here is what you left out of the quote:

"So the sexual abuse of more than 700 human beings is a random story or a nanny story (according to CP) all based on claims about who I am and how I found the stories. Perhaps you should take a bit more interest in the more than 700 than in me. That would help both you and Cow Poke to find a decent and worthy tone.

It is interesting to watch how far you guys are willing to go in order to avoid the content and talk about something else..."

Funny how your post does not really work when you read it all...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                                Funny how your post does not really work when you read it all...
                                It works just fine. 700 cases out of tens of millions of church going women does not suggest a widespread practice among US churches.

Comment