Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Universalism

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    United Methodist.

However, perhaps this particular church needs people like me to challenge what they preach!?
    You said you've already challenged some things, and nothing has changed. There comes a time to shake the dust off your feet and move on if your efforts to show error are not accepted.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

2. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    United Methodist.

However, perhaps this particular church needs people like me to challenge what they preach!?
    I wish that there was hope in that regard, but when a church goes down the path of embracing homosexuality, especially at the behest of their denomination, there is no going back.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

4. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What about people who don't want to be saved? One person's utopia is another person's dystopia....
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Universalists are very good at philosophy, mainly because they are very bad at scripture interpretation. There are some verses and concepts you can take out of context to make an argument for universalism, but Jesus made perfectly clear that some will not be saved. Also note Hebrews 3:11: "They will never enter my rest."

I don't think there's anything wrong with hoping everybody will be saved, because 2 Peter 3:9 says the same thing. But when you outright say that it will happen, it becomes a problem.

(This is a very hot topic right now in theology because David Bentley Hart's much anticipated book arguing for universalism is coming out this fall... so I expect to be hearing more discussion about universalism online.)

Edit: Literally two minutes after I posted, I saw that a friend of mine just posted on FB that he is going to publish a critical review of Hart's book in a theological journal. Talk about coincidences.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 09-10-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

7. Amen QuantaFille amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm trying to find out what the founder of the Methodist church, John Wesley, said about Universalim. But my research keeps coming up talking about John Wesley Hanson.

God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    United Methodist.

The UMC has strayed so far from the truth, and allowed post-modernism into their ranks, that only a true revival from the Holy Spirit can help them, if they are even at all receptive to Him at a leadership level...

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

10. Amen Cow Poke, mossrose, Christianbookworm amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    United Methodist.

If you feel called to do that and think it could work, go for it. But be prepared to just move on if they don't listen.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm trying to find out what the founder of the Methodist church, John Wesley, said about Universalim. But my research keeps coming up talking about John Wesley Hanson.
    As long as you don't end up with John Wesley Hardin, who, according to TimeLife Books, was so mean he once shot a man just for snoring! :yea:

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Wesley was not a universalist.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

14. Amen Cow Poke, mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Wesley was not a universalist.
    Had he been, he wouldn't have been such a revivalist.