Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 114

Thread: Universalism

  1. #1
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    851
    Amen (Given)
    207
    Amen (Received)
    186

    Universalism

    "Universalism is the teaching that all people will be saved. Some say that it is through the atonement of Jesus that all will ultimately be reconciled to God. Others just say that all will go to heaven sooner or later, whether or not they have trusted in or rejected Jesus as savior during their lifetime. This universal redemption will be realized in the future where God will bring all people to repentance. This repentance can happen while a person lives or after he has died and lived again in the millennium (as some "Christian universalists" claim) or some future state." (CARM)

    Is there any biblical support for Universalism?

    I'm asking because a deacon of my church will be teaching Rob Bell's book, "Love Wins" in an upcoming Bible study.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    God bless the USA. Ack!! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Central VA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,654
    Amen (Given)
    8248
    Amen (Received)
    8787
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    ...

    Is there any biblical support for Universalism?
    No. Rob Bell wrote that book to excuse practicing homosexuals of their sin.
    Last edited by Bill the Cat; 09-10-2019 at 11:20 AM.


    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

  3. #3
    Technology Staff Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,866
    Amen (Given)
    1125
    Amen (Received)
    3487
    Some part of me wishes that universalism was true. My heard knows it is not.

  4. #4
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64,928
    Amen (Given)
    14062
    Amen (Received)
    28930
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Some part of me wishes that universalism was true. My heard knows it is not.
    You have a herd? Of.... those green things with yellow wigs?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  5. #5
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64,928
    Amen (Given)
    14062
    Amen (Received)
    28930
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    No. Rob Bell wrote that book to excuse practicing homosexuals of their sin.
    Mayor Pete would be proud!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  6. #6
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    27,792
    Amen (Given)
    2183
    Amen (Received)
    5756
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    "Universalism is the teaching that all people will be saved. Some say that it is through the atonement of Jesus that all will ultimately be reconciled to God. Others just say that all will go to heaven sooner or later, whether or not they have trusted in or rejected Jesus as savior during their lifetime. This universal redemption will be realized in the future where God will bring all people to repentance. This repentance can happen while a person lives or after he has died and lived again in the millennium (as some "Christian universalists" claim) or some future state." (CARM)

    Is there any biblical support for Universalism?

    I'm asking because a deacon of my church will be teaching Rob Bell's book, "Love Wins" in an upcoming Bible study.

    Thanks.
    Back in the late 90s I went head to head with Gary Amirault from Tentmaker.org (whom I just found out died). We debated Universalism for months on and off at CARM. They do have some good arguments (historical and Scriptural) - I still hope that they are right - but I don't know. I have no regard for Rob Bell though...

    https://tentmaker.org/articles-1/
    Last edited by seer; 09-10-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

  7. #7
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    23,056
    Amen (Given)
    17418
    Amen (Received)
    10607
    I wouldn't trust anything Rob Bell writes.

    And if someone were teaching something that he wrote I would be gone.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  8. Amen Bill the Cat, Obsidian amen'd this post.
  9. #8
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    27,792
    Amen (Given)
    2183
    Amen (Received)
    5756
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    I wouldn't trust anything Rob Bell writes.

    And if someone were teaching something that he wrote I would be gone.
    Agreed - we did one of his studies in our church a while back - it didn't take long to drop it. I always found him insincere...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

  10. #9
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    851
    Amen (Given)
    207
    Amen (Received)
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    I wouldn't trust anything Rob Bell writes.

    And if someone were teaching something that he wrote I would be gone.
    That's my problem. I've sent many links to the Deacon that point out the mistakes in Bell's book, and she said that Bell has his critics and that is all she said. It took me 3 hours to read all of the links I sent her and she answered me in a few minutes which told me she hadn't read them.

    At some point I will ask the church Pastor if he is a universalist and if he agrees with Rob Bell.

  11. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
  12. #10
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    851
    Amen (Given)
    207
    Amen (Received)
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Some part of me wishes that universalism was true. My heard knows it is not.
    Yeah. It would stop me worrying about some of my friends and family members who are not believers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •