Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Canadian Socialized Heath Care is deadly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Socialized Heath Care is deadly

B.C. man receives assisted death after funding cut for in-home care

By Catholic News Agency Vancouver Life August 19, 2019

The family of a Canadian man who suffered from Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) is urging the federal government to change the way it treats patients with the disease after he received a medically-assisted death following years of struggle to find adequate care.

Sean Tagert, 41, of Powell River. B.C. was diagnosed with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease, in March 2013. In October 2017, he suffered cardiac arrest, and was subsequently placed on a ventilator. His illness robbed him of the ability to move his body, eat, or speak, and he communicated via an eye-gaze computer. His mental acuity was unaffected.

At that time, Tagert’s doctors recommended 24-hour in-home care, which is typical for a person who uses a ventilator full time. Vancouver Coastal Health only initially offered 15.5 hours of care a day. Eventually, after much effort, they increased their offer to 20 hours a day – which still meant that Tagert had to pay $263.50 each day for the remaining four hours of required care.

Tagert and his family continued to fight for coverage of a full day’s care, to no avail.

“Hey everyone. I’ve been quiet lately because I’m just done, worn-out,” wrote Tagert in a July 25 post on his Facebook page.

“So last Friday I officially submitted my Medically assisted death paperwork, with lawyers and doctors, everything in proper order. It’s been over a month since I submitted my appeal to the Vancouver Coastal Health patient care quality department. They didn’t even respond.”

Tagert went on to explain that earlier in the day, two Vancouver Coastal Health officials came to his home, and had refused to talk to him when they realized he was recording the conversation. Eventually, they told his mother that they were there to cut his funding for care hours.

“Welcome to the great Canadian Healthcare system people,” Tagert wrote.

On Aug. 6, he received a medically-assisted death and passed away.
    “No one should have to feel death is the only option due to lack of care,” Dr. Leonie Herx, a palliative care physician from Toronto, said on Twitter.

Herx pointed out the paradox that presently, Canadians have a “right” to medically-assisted dying, but not to palliative and disability care.

“We must do better for vulnerable Canadians,” she said.

==============

This guy was pressured into "assisted suicide" by the Canadian Healthcare system who refused to pay for his daily care. They killed him to save money.

Wasn't there a famous wealthy actress who died of a curable illness a decade or two ago in Canada because she couldn't get proper medical attention?
    When I Survey....

Comment

To be fair I don't know if I'd want to keep living if I had Lou Gehrigs, especially not if I became entire locked-in, unable even to move my eyes or interact with the world in any way. I'd probably ask not to be put on a ventilator, or if I was on one, to eventually have it turned off. Especially if it got to the point where I couldn't communicate in anyway by the end.

Though I'd probably have to be in that position to know.

As for this case, its exactly what I fear will happen when you introduce euthanasia.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        To be fair I don't know if I'd want to keep living if I had Lou Gehrigs, especially not if I became entire locked-in, unable even to move my eyes or interact with the world in any way. I'd probably ask not to be put on a ventilator, or if I was on one, to eventually have it turned off. Especially if it got to the point where I couldn't communicate in anyway by the end.

Though I'd probably have to be in that position to know.

As for this case, its exactly what I fear will happen when you introduce euthanasia.
        Yep.

If someone wants to kill themselves there is not much stopping them (except maybe in this case where he can't move) so I see little need for giving the government permission to euthanize you. I was arguing with someone on facebook about it and they said so it could be done humanely. But really, how hard is it for someone to kill themselves painlessly? I don't want to get into a discussion on how to kill yourself, but you get the idea.

I think whenever you have a healthcare system run by people who's main driving force is budgetary, and you give them the power to end lives, you will get cases like this where it is more convenient and cheaper to withdraw care in order to force the person to allow them to be euthanized.

He seemed, from the article, to want to live, and was even active on facebook, where he posted his updates. All he wanted was to be cared for.

Comment