Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Never Forget...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    I just believe Muslims in the West, for no other reason than this, deserve to be treated with the benefit of the doubt.
    Sure, but it would help if they would more publicly denounce the terrorism. It appears, however, that puts them in jeopardy from the extremists in their own religion.

I will also have to grant this. There's no doubt that there's a lot of animosity in certain countries towards the west, and acts of terrorism are seen as them sticking it to us by many there.
    Exactly - and who gets the attention? The GOOD kid in class? Or the kid who acts like a jackass.

Also granted.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Does "some people did something" sound like she is condemning Islamic terrorism?
      Having read Sparko's post, it sounds like she's praising Tom Burnett and company.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        By their fruit you shall know them --- there is no New Testament justification for a Christian to commit acts of terrorism. (And I specifically said "in the name of Christ" to make it on par with "in the name of Allah")
        Yes, but its a silly statement, because if Muslims - as most in the West do - those terrorist acts are fundamentally against Islamic Law, then they can just as well use the same defense. At any rate, the Wahabi influenced terrorists definitely believed their acts were within the pale of the law (as they concieve it), just as the Lords Resistance Army in Uganda believes it is okay to chop off arms and legs in the name of Christ.

Agreed - but you can't dispute (I hope) that there are, indeed, whole communities that dance and celebrate in the streets when such terror is committed in the name of Allah.
        I didn't. There are differences. I still believe it's unfair to make Muslims in the west accountable for these actions, or to charge them with somehow being responsible for it, or to suspect them of evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          Having read Sparko's post, it sounds like she's praising Tom Burnett and company.
          Great to see ya, Roy!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Sure, but it would help if they would more publicly denounce the terrorism.
            They often do. But do you think that sells more clicks?

Comment

I still believe it's unfair to make Muslims in the west accountable for these actions, or to charge them with somehow being responsible for it, or to suspect them of evil.
              Sorry Leonhard, after all these years I'm still heartbroken and pissed. Sadly, I think I will look at Islam with a suspicious eye as long as I draw breath... Never mind the fact that men are still dying from working on "The Pile."
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

They often do. But do you think that sells more clicks?
                Of course not, but it's a publicity problem they have, and only they can manage.

When some nut does something "in the name of God", and is widely and quickly blasted by everybody except Westboro, it falls off the news radar pretty quickly. Many times, the MSM does their best to tie it to Christianity, like if the guy went to Sunday School when he was 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                  Nope. She is not asking something completely different. There is a very interesting point in what she says:

And it goes on:

https://thefederalist.com/2019/07/16...mic-terrorism/
                  Like I said, she refuses to condemn Al Qaeda or Islamic Terrorism. Thanks for playing

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    no. her "some people" referred to the terrorists, and "did something" referred to killing 3000+ people and destroying two buildings in New York.

Comment

Neither of that is true. War is perfectly okay, even mandated by Christianity in certain circumstances, no one except the earliest Church Fathers believed that before you became a Christian you had to renounce and repent of having been a soldier. Which is what they made the early centurion do, and not for any association with the roman religions either.

Not only is it okay, in the context of Christian morals, to engage in war to protect your borders. It is also okay to engage in war to conquer in certain contexts when you're defeating an enemy that is threatening you.

I will grant that both the Quran and the Hadith have more specific charges about what to do with territories that are conquered, and its more fertile soil if you want to quote mine, but I know of no serious Islamic scholar who condones terrorism. Violent Wahabi Jihadist misquote their passages worse than Christian slave traders quoted Biblical passages in defense of what they're doing. You'll find more support for a persons right to own a slave if you're a Christian, than you will for committing terrorism if you're a Muslim.

No Muslim friend of mine ever argued that those terrorists did anything good, if anything they hate them more than you do, because they've caused the world to fear them unjustly.
                      No where in the Bible will you find a call to arms to spread Christianity. The Koran explicitly calls for the death of any who refuse to submit. The disciples of Jesus practiced peace. The disciples of Mohammad practiced war. Jesus said to love your enemies. Mohammad said to kill them.

There is no moral equivalence whatsoever between Christianity and Islam.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

We must be reading about other Muslims, because those I'm aware of do not celebrate that stuff.
                        Any Muslim who doesn't take up arms and kill infidels is not practicing his religion as commanded by his scriptures and the example example of his religion's founder. It's why I say that Muslim terrorists are not extremist, they're orthodox.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Like I said, she refuses to condemn Al Qaeda or Islamic Terrorism. Thanks for playing
                          She is finding the idea that she would support it so absurd that she refuses to answer the question. That is more than condemnation but of course those who like to focus on otherness or insinuations will focus on the fact that she did not answer the question and ignore her reason for not doing so. Thus they will ignore both her most important point and that it is more than condemnation.
                          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            Why are you sticking the photo of Omar into that picture from 911?

Jim
                            Read the quote from her about 9/11.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

She refuses to tie the terrorism to Islam, which I support her in. At least if all muslims should share guilt in that terrorist act, then all Christians should share guilt in every murder, or act of terrorism committed by Christians anywhere.

At least if we're to be consistent, which is something seer is obsessed about being.
                              IIRC, within a few months after the attack PEW did a survey and found a great deal of support for Al-Quaeda among Muslims worldwide. I don't think that you'd find anything near the level of support among Christians if a group committed a similar act in the name of Christianity.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                                She is finding the idea that she would support it so absurd that she refuses to answer the question.
                                So you admit she refuses to condemn Al Qaeda and Islamic terrorism, then?
                                I consider your challenge to me to provide a source for my statement completed.

--

If someone said I supported White Supremacy I would tell them no I don't, I condemn it. I wouldn't play games and say "I find that too absurd to answer" - that is the answer of someone trying to dodge the issue.

Comment