Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 244

Thread: Gun Control - moved from E-cig thread

  1. #51
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9,450
    Amen (Given)
    1500
    Amen (Received)
    3151
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Yep. You can buy M4 style civilian rifles too. Just because they make a civilian version of a military gun, doesn't make them military weapons like Beto is claiming.
    People are visually driven and donít get into the details. Are gun designs and innovations often driven with an eye on a military or police contract? You bet because they are the big buyers and only a bad businessman would ignore their biggest potential customer. This doesnít mean civilian designs are necessarily the same. Iíve shot pre AR style weapons and theyíre a good deal bigger, heavier, with a bigger recoil than youíll find in even non AR styles since the thing that truly marketed the AR to the military (lightweight, modular construction, with lighter recoil) was adapted across the market to include non AR styles.

    And as far as what Beto was saying about bullets that rip apart someone's insides? Yeah that is exactly what I would want for self-defense. I want to make sure that someone attacking me or my family is stopped. I want as unfair advantage as possible. The last thing you want is to shoot someone and just piss them off.
    The general idea of shooting someone is to stop them in their tracks and well, until the day phasers are invented thatís about the only way to ensure youíre own safety.
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 09-16-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  2. #52
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    52,385
    Amen (Given)
    1112
    Amen (Received)
    19068
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Just pointing out it originated as a military weapon, to serve military purposes. It was later that it became a weapon marketed to the public.

    Jim
    It may have been marketed for the military but the manufacturers didn't seem to know their market since they weren't interested and rejected it at least until after Colt took it over and made substantial changes including making it fully automatic.

    The point stands that no military uses or has used the AR-15. Calling it "military style" is a hoax.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  3. #53
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    52,385
    Amen (Given)
    1112
    Amen (Received)
    19068
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Yep. You can buy M4 style civilian rifles too. Just because they make a civilian version of a military gun, doesn't make them military weapons like Beto is claiming.

    And as far as what Beto was saying about bullets that rip apart someone's insides? Yeah that is exactly what I would want for self-defense. I want to make sure that someone attacking me or my family is stopped. I want as unfair advantage as possible. The last thing you want is to shoot someone and just piss them off.
    Used to Dutch load my pair of Browning Hi Power 9mm with Glaser Safety slugs and standard JHP rounds.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  4. #54
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,027
    Amen (Given)
    9014
    Amen (Received)
    5554
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    I have addressed it and understand your point just fine. Read all what I said, youíre not going to be able to regulate them without knowing a few things about their operation and characteristics. Itís no different than people that no nothing if driving shouldnít make traffic laws, people that donít know nothing about being a doctor shouldnít make laws about being a doctor, etc. Its not patronizing at all, itís just how we should operate before we try to regulate something.
    That was NOT my point. That was derived from Jim's argument, but it wasn't even the particular point he made. I disagree with his conclusion - but agree with the point you STILL haven't evidently understood.

  5. #55
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,027
    Amen (Given)
    9014
    Amen (Received)
    5554
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    You are all off the point. The point is E-Cigartette baning. Not guns.
    That's the topic, not a singular point.



  6. #56
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,027
    Amen (Given)
    9014
    Amen (Received)
    5554
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Well, when it ends up that the ignorant person is trying to ban or allow something based on their lack of knowledge, or incorrect knowledge it is important because they are arguing a straw man. If they are trying to ban certain guns because they claim they are military weapons when they are not, that is an important distinction, isn't it?

    It would be the same regarding abortion. When someone is arguing we should allow full term abortions because the fetus is not alive or human but part of the mother, that too is an argument from ignorance and should be stopped.

    How can someone propose a good solution regarding guns if they are ignorant of guns in the first place?

    Or back to the topic, the vaping fluids? If we are just going to ban the flavored vaping fluid just because some people got sick, without any actual proof that something in the flavored vaping fluid cause it, that would be ignorant and wrong.
    *emphasis mine

    This is only true for the details of legislation - not for the principle of the issue. It's a bad argument to make - how well does 'sit down and shut up' usually work with you?

  7. #57
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,027
    Amen (Given)
    9014
    Amen (Received)
    5554
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Used to Dutch load my pair of Browning Hi Power 9mm with Glaser Safety slugs and standard JHP rounds.
    You also modified a Red Rider to make it into a jet gun. Thankfully, CP broke it before the test fire - fyi, the jet is supposed to be in the ammo, not the gun.


  8. #58
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    52,385
    Amen (Given)
    1112
    Amen (Received)
    19068
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    You also modified a Red Rider to make it into a jet gun. Thankfully, CP broke it before the test fire - fyi, the jet is supposed to be in the ammo, not the gun.

    In actuality after discovering that the ammo for pellet guns Edited by a Moderator delivery system.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  9. #59
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9,450
    Amen (Given)
    1500
    Amen (Received)
    3151
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    That was NOT my point. That was derived from Jim's argument, but it wasn't even the particular point he made. I disagree with his conclusion - but agree with the point you STILL haven't evidently understood.
    I understand it just fine, itís based on ignorance and misunderstandings of the entire purpose of the second amendment.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  10. #60
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,702
    Amen (Given)
    1691
    Amen (Received)
    1478
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    How are you defining ďnot much differentĒ for starters. A few:
    1. ARís are not full auto.
    They can be adjusted with a bump stock to be fully automatic. They can fire up to 400 rounds a minute and were, I believe, the weapons used by the Las Vegas shooter who killed or wounded some 500 or so people.
    2. ARís use a smaller round.
    Yes, they are lethal just the same.
    3. ARís are more prone to jamming.
    Basically irrelevant to the current discussion.
    4. ARís are more accurate.
    Yep.
    Thatís just the obvious ones. They do look the similar, but they are not Ďbasically the sameí.
    The main difference with respect to mass shootings is that the Ak47 is automatic, but the AR15 can be adjusted to be automatic.

    I didn't bring up the AR15, you did, and no one wants to take everyones guns away, we want better, safer gun laws so that it is much more difficult for maniac's, lunatics, psychopaths to get their hands on what are basically machine guns which themselves are already outlawed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •