View Poll Results: What do you think about banning flavored e-cigs?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • These things are dangerous so we need to ban them

1 8.33%
  • The government should stay out of our personal choices

7 58.33%
  • I have no opinion. Meh.

4 33.33%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trump plans to ban e-cigs

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Like gangs? They predate Prohibition by fifty years. Criminal organization? Predates Prohibition by nearly one hundred years. Criminal territorial wars? A hundred years before Prohibition.

What was new was advances in weaponry - Tommy guns are much more efficient than six shooters - and media - radio brought the gory details into the living room in a way that newspapers couldn't.

Like the modern serial killer, the media had people convinced gangs were a new and ever growing menace. In reality, they were real and deadlier to each other, but weren't around every corner, blasting the city away. Prohibition provided a new market and that did set off territorial wars, but they were nothing new, just better armed and on the news every night because ratings.

And alcohol consumption has never fully recovered.
    Organized crime grew at a greatly accelerated pace during Prohibition becoming exponentially more powerful and influential. Previously they might have a crooked alderman or city councilman in their pocket but thanks to Prohibition they were able to corrupt mayors and even governors.

Further, trust in government took a major hit thanks to Prohibition. One that some historians say it has never fully recovered from.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

2. Amen Terraceth amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Organized crime grew at a greatly accelerated pace during Prohibition becoming exponentially more powerful and influential. Previously they might have a crooked alderman or city councilman in their pocket but thanks to Prohibition they were able to corrupt mayors and even governors.

Further, trust in government took a major hit thanks to Prohibition. One that some historians say it has never fully recovered from.
    I'll grant the second but Tammany Hall came well before Prohibition. Government corruption was neither new nor particularly greater (granting some historic ebb and flow).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'll grant the second but Tammany Hall came well before Prohibition. Government corruption was neither new nor particularly greater (granting some historic ebb and flow).
    Back then you had politicians who could get various gangs to help them out. Thanks to Prohibition you now had gangs who had various politicians in their pocket. Who controlled who had swapped around.The difference wasn't necessarily the level of corruption but that now organized crime was controlling politicians.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

5. Amen Terraceth amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Back then you had politicians who could get various gangs to help them out. Thanks to Prohibition you now had gangs who had various politicians in their pocket. Who controlled who had swapped around.The difference wasn't necessarily the level of corruption but that now organized crime was controlling politicians.
    No, the gang/politician relationship already existed. The new market provided new money which did exacerbate matters - but didn't create them.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Like gangs? They predate Prohibition by fifty years. Criminal organization? Predates Prohibition by nearly one hundred years. Criminal territorial wars? A hundred years before Prohibition.

What was new was advances in weaponry - Tommy guns are much more efficient than six shooters - and media - radio brought the gory details into the living room in a way that newspapers couldn't.

Like the modern serial killer, the media had people convinced gangs were a new and ever growing menace. In reality, they were real and deadlier to each other, but weren't around every corner, blasting the city away. Prohibition provided a new market and that did set off territorial wars, but they were nothing new, just better armed and on the news every night because ratings.

And alcohol consumption has never fully recovered.
    You apparently havenít hung out near a military base during a holiday weekend. Anyway, I disagree with you on this, organized crime grew quite a bit thanks to the huge piles of cash the illegal alcohol trade brought in.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    You apparently havenít hung out near a military base during a holiday weekend. Anyway, I disagree with you on this, organized crime grew quite a bit thanks to the huge piles of cash the illegal alcohol trade brought in.
    The prohibition movement was in response to off the charts levels of alcoholism. Weekend binges don't compare to alcoholics that can't function any longer.

There were negatives - but they have been exaggerated. The weaponry did more damage in some ways than the corruption - at least in public perception.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Moderator Notice

The gun control derail has been moved to it's own thread. Please keep the discussion about guns here:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...m-E-cig-thread

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.