Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why I Voted For Trump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Voted For Trump...

The bottom line:

'Historic milestone': Senate confirms 150th Trump judicial nominee

The U.S. Senate confirmed President Trump’s 150th judicial nominee Wednesday, helping to fulfill the president’s campaign promise to remake the federal bench with a conservative bent.

Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham called the number of confirmations a “historic milestone.”

“These conservative judicial appointments will impact our nation for years to come,” the South Carolina Republican said.

Six district court nominees won confirmation Wednesday, bringing the president’s total number of appointed judges to the lower federal courts to 105. Mr. Trump has also appointed 43 circuit court nominees and two Supreme Court justices since taking office.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...icial-nominee/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    The bottom line:

'Historic milestone': Senate confirms 150th Trump judicial nominee

The U.S. Senate confirmed President Trump’s 150th judicial nominee Wednesday, helping to fulfill the president’s campaign promise to remake the federal bench with a conservative bent.

Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham called the number of confirmations a “historic milestone.”

“These conservative judicial appointments will impact our nation for years to come,” the South Carolina Republican said.

Six district court nominees won confirmation Wednesday, bringing the president’s total number of appointed judges to the lower federal courts to 105. Mr. Trump has also appointed 43 circuit court nominees and two Supreme Court justices since taking office.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...icial-nominee/
    Just a side note:

Supreme Court allows broad enforcement of Trump asylum rule

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court is allowing nationwide enforcement of a new Trump administration rule that prevents most Central American migrants from seeking asylum in the United States.

7-2 BTW
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

This was also a big reason I voted for Trump, other than it was a vote against Hillary. I would have voted for anyone other than Hillary, even Jill Stein. But Trump's promise to replace liberal judges with conservative ones was a big issue to me. That is the only way we can ever hope to stop the judicial abuses that we have seen like forcing bakers to make Gay wedding cakes and legalized abortion.

Comment

So instead of making a case against abortion etc that would persuade existing judges to adopt your views and change the laws, you're appointing new judges that already agree with you and who will change the laws regardless of whether there is any reason to do so.

Your entire strategy is an admission that you have no legitimate arguments and all you can do is subvert the legal process, and you voted for Trump because he promised to do so.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          So instead of making a case against abortion etc that would persuade existing judges to adopt your views and change the laws, you're appointing new judges that already agree with you and who will change the laws regardless of whether there is any reason to do so.

Your entire strategy is an admission that you have no legitimate arguments and all you can do is subvert the legal process, and you voted for Trump because he promised to do so.
          Because arguing politics routinely changes minds. right.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Certainly not here anyway ...
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

What argument would change the mind of a pro-abortion leftist, Roy? (And judges don't change laws)

Naw, it's not an either/or. If you're hungry and drowning, I'd focus on rescuing you from the water before offering you a cheeseburger.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                It won't if you don't even try.

Since when was abortion or discrimination "politics" anyway?
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  What argument would change the mind of a pro-abortion leftist, Roy? (And judges don't change laws)
                  Supreme court judges can nullify laws and reverse previous decisions, right?
                  Naw, it's not an either/or. If you're hungry and drowning, I'd focus on rescuing you from the water before offering you a cheeseburger.
                  That's two solutions to two different problems, not two solutions to one problem. Anyway, it misses the point. A better analogy would be if you can't afford the bus fare so hijack the bus instead.

Comment

Well, no. That's the strategy we're trying to defeat. The left has been subverting the legal process for years. Conservatives, pretty much by definition don't agitate for change (other than change back to the status quo ante).
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Supreme court judges can nullify laws and reverse previous decisions, right?
                      That's not "changing the law".

That's two solutions to two different problems, not two solutions to one problem.
                      Well, then, God forbid that we solve two problems at once!

Anyway, it misses the point. A better analogy would be if you can't afford the bus fare so hijack the bus instead.
                      I'd still give you a cheeseburger, Roy.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It won't if you don't even try.

Since when was abortion or discrimination "politics" anyway?
                        sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Well, no. That's the strategy we're trying to defeat. The left has been subverting the legal process for years. Conservatives, pretty much by definition don't agitate for change (other than change back to the status quo ante).
                          A quick check of the supreme court members when Roe v Wade was passed suggests that there was neither a Republican-Democrat nor a conservative-liberal split in that vote. I don't see anything that suggests RvW was a result of the left subverting the legal process.

And even if it was, since when did "they did it first" become a legitimate excuse?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            That's not "changing the law".
                            Removing a law because it is considered unconstitutional is definitely changing the law.
                            I'd still give you a cheeseburger, Roy.
                            I'd rather have a doner kebab.

Comment

Removing a law because it is considered unconstitutional is definitely changing the law.
                              Well, if it's unconstitutional, it NEEDS to be removed, eh?

Comment