Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why I Voted For Trump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    So? As long as the government isn't making laws to that end then it's Constitutional per the First Amendment ("Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...") which is exactly what I said in the post you replied to.

Don't want me to call you ignorant? Then don't make ignorant statements.
    Ignorant statements such as "As long as the government isn't making laws to that end ..."?

Apparently you're unaware that state and county governments were making laws to that end. Specifically, they have passed resolutions to allow tenets of favoured religions to be displayed in public buildings and be maintained using public funds.

I recall you're also ignorant of the 14th amendment.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Yes sir, the court can declare the whole law unconstitutional, in which case the law is nul and void. That doesn't "change" the law - it negates it.
      Right. Negating one law (singular) changes the laws (plural).

Just as removing one orange from a pile changes the pile even though it doesn't change any individual orange.

Why is this so hard to understand???
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
        Oh please Roy, that level of picking nits is usually even beyond you. You know what you meant (the above wasn't it) and you know you were wrong. Just admit you were mistaken and be done with it. This is getting ridiculous.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Distinction without a difference. Sorry, kiddo, no matter how many ways you try to spin it, the simple fact is that in the United States, the courts do not have the Constitutional authority to "change laws" or "change the laws" or whatever other phrase you care to use that says the exact same thing. They can only uphold laws, or strike them down. That's it.
          Yeah, I get it. You're too stupid to understand the either difference between 'a law' vs 'the laws', or that removing one item from a group changes the group without changing any single item within that group.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
            Ignorant statements such as "As long as the government isn't making laws to that end ..."?

Apparently you're unaware that state and county governments were making laws to that end. Specifically, they have passed resolutions to allow tenets of favoured religions to be displayed in public buildings and be maintained using public funds.

I recall you're also ignorant of the 14th amendment.
            A resolution is not a law, and using public funds for religious purposes does not violate the letter or intent of the First Amendment.

Any other founts of ignorance you want to dazzle us with?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

No, it's not that. As usual you're assuming others' ignorance when the fault is your own failure to recognise subtle distinctions.

The subtle distinction here being between "change laws", which is what you think I said, vs "change the laws", which is what I actually said.
              yeah change "the laws" as in changing the laws regarding abortion, which you were talking about, not changing "the law" as in talking about the body of laws of the country.

Two can play the nitpicking game Roy. The context of your post to me was in replacing the supreme court judges by the president, rather than trying to convince them to CHANGE THE ABORTION LAWS by argument.

You simply misspoke. Live with it and admit you did so. At least admit you were not as clear in your wording as you should have been. Sheesh. The lengths people go to around here to not admit they were wrong.

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              So instead of making a case against abortion etc that would persuade existing judges to adopt your views and change the laws, you're appointing new judges that already agree with you and who will change the laws regardless of whether there is any reason to do so.

Your entire strategy is an admission that you have no legitimate arguments and all you can do is subvert the legal process, and you voted for Trump because he promised to do so.

Comment

Just as removing one orange from a pile changes the pile even though it doesn't change any individual orange.

Why is this so hard to understand???
                I think you were caught with your pants down, and now you're dancing around pretending it was intentional.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Oh please Roy, that level of picking nits is usually even beyond you. You know what you meant (the above wasn't it) and you know you were wrong. Just admit you were mistaken and be done with it. This is getting ridiculous.
                  Sparko, I know what I meant and the above was what I meant. You can tell it was what I meant because I explicitly wrote "the laws" rather than just "laws".

You can believe me or not, I don't care.

Comment

Sparko, I know what I meant and the above was what I meant. You can tell it was what I meant because I explicitly wrote "the laws" rather than just "laws".

How bout digging back and producing your original quote on this, OK?
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Nope Jim, the Constitution says that Congress shall make no law. So is the school district Congress? Did it make a law? You are the one ignoring what thee text actually says. And BTW - we had voluntary prayer when I was in School - no ones hair caught on fire.
                      Apparently the 14th amendment didn't pass.

Comment

I think you were caught with your pants down, and now you're dancing around pretending it was intentional.
                        The traditional Tweb kabuki dance.

Comment

What's the point? You've all decided I'm lying anyway, so why bother?

Comment

right, that is why you argued for several posts that what you meant was that they could change laws by nullifying them and that is what you meant by "changing" - and when you were told that nullifying isn't "changing" you switched to your "I meant "The Law as a whole"" silliness.

If you are just trying to save face, that moment is gone. You would get more respect by just admitting you were wrong, as everyone can see.

Comment

See my post above.

Comment

What's the point? You've all decided I'm lying anyway, so why bother?
                                not lying, just not admitting you were wrong.

Comment