Page 23 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Voted For Trump...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Egad. Of course from their own perspective they believed the god that they were referring to was the God that they believed in. They didn't say that though did they? They didn't write that in the document did they? See if you can figure out why?
    They didn't have to - they knew that anybody with a brain would know that.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-18-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think every woman is different and are effected differently. It depends on the woman. No doubt some may regret in the future the decision they made, but most are fully aware of the choice they are making and don't look at it as killing a baby. I know, that's how you and the anti-abortion side see it, but they don't see it that way which is why your side is always trying to convince them. If they agreed with you, then they probably wouldn't be having the procedure done in the first place.
    Jim, the fact is that even the woman who thinks she's "fully aware of the choice" can find out after the fact that it was a horrible choice.

After all, there is no attempt by the abortionist to educate her to the down side of abortion.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Born with the same rights, Sparko. Read and understand the context. It's true that the Founders, most of them at least, believed in god, but that's irrelevant to the point being made. The point is that we are all born with the same rights, the right to life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness.
    If there is no God and it is just evolution and survival of the fittest then there is no "all are equal" - by definition. The weakest are dominated by the powerful. Slavery is a perfect example of this.

Irrelevant to the point. The point is that their intent was to build a wall between government and religion. Now, I know you all disagree with that and, like some Muslim countries, would like to be ruled by a Christian theocracy. But that's exactly what the Founders didn't want.

Well at least you got that last part right. They were against a Theocracy. Which would be a state run religion. But as the declaration of independence and the fact that they had religion IN the government, they were not against religion in government, just a Government run Religion.

4. Amen Cow Poke, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Egad. Of course from their own perspective they believed the god that they were referring to was the God that they believed in. They didn't say that though did they? They didn't write that in the document did they? See if you can figure out why?
    Perhaps I can help you out a bit here. MAYBE you're confused by "religion" as meaning a denomination as opposed to "Christianity" in general. Virtually all of the religions in America at that time believed in the Judeo-Christian God. Hence, there was no need to specify "which God".

The Dansbury Baptist Association was not concerned about "Christianity" in general, but the particular sect of the founders of the colony - the denomination. Jefferson assured them that there would not be a "state church" (as in a particular denomination) but you can tell by his "churchy language" (I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection & blessing of the common father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves & your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem.) that he was NOT shutting down "God in general".

You'll probably need to cogitate on that a bit.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    They didn't have to - they knew that anybody with a brain would know that.
    Yeah, I guess the many deists amongst the Founders, Jefferson, Franklin, Paine etc, agreed, eh?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, I guess the many deists amongst the Founders, Jefferson, Franklin, Paine etc, agreed, eh?

Deism:
    A religious belief holding that God created the universe and established rationally comprehensible moral and natural laws but does not intervene in human affairs through miracles or supernatural revelation.

So, yes. Absolutely.

Next?

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    If there is no God and it is just evolution and survival of the fittest then there is no "all are equal" - by definition. The weakest are dominated by the powerful. Slavery is a perfect example of this.
    Not according to the Founders of this country. Besides, you're derailing. It has nothing to do with the Christian god, with a specific religion, because of "the wall between religion and state." Again, it's true that the Founders, many of them were Christians, some were deists, but regardless of their personal preferences, the government did not, and could not, have a preference.

Well at least you got that last part right. They were against a Theocracy. Which would be a state run religion. But as the declaration of independence and the fact that they had religion IN the government, they were not against religion in government, just a Government run Religion.
    Sparko, having a specific religion in government is a government sponsered religion. No, they did not want that!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Not according to the Founders of this country. Besides, you're derailing.
    Laughing... translation -- "I'm losing badly".

It has nothing to do with the Christian god, with a specific religion, because of "the wall between religion and state." Again, it's true that the Founders, many of them were Christians, some were deists, but regardless of their personal preferences, the government did not, and could not, have a preference.
    I covered that for you, Jimmy -- feel free to take a look.

Sparko, having a specific religion in government is a government sponsered religion. No, they did not want that!
    No, they didn't want government RUNNING religion -- there was nothing precluding religion from having an impact on or service to the government. Hence, military chaplains, house and senate chaplains, prayer before sessions.... all the way back to the founding!

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post

Deism:
    A religious belief holding that God created the universe and established rationally comprehensible moral and natural laws but does not intervene in human affairs through miracles or supernatural revelation.

So, yes. Absolutely.
    So, Yes, absolutely what? That is not the christian god. Are you following the argument at all?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, Yes, absolutely what? That is not the christian god. Are you following the argument at all?
    I said "Judeo-Christian" God, Jimmy. And, yes, it was and is.

Let's try this... pretend you're not just a stubborn jackass , and suggest what "God" it might be if it is NOT the "Judeo-Christian" God, ok?

I won't even ask for citations. (yet)