Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Voted For Trump...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Supreme court judges can nullify laws and reverse previous decisions, right?
    That's not "changing the law".

That's two solutions to two different problems, not two solutions to one problem.
    Well, then, God forbid that we solve two problems at once!

Anyway, it misses the point. A better analogy would be if you can't afford the bus fare so hijack the bus instead.
    I'd still give you a cheeseburger, Roy.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It won't if you don't even try.

Since when was abortion or discrimination "politics" anyway?
    sigh.

3. Amen RumTumTugger, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Well, no. That's the strategy we're trying to defeat. The left has been subverting the legal process for years. Conservatives, pretty much by definition don't agitate for change (other than change back to the status quo ante).
    A quick check of the supreme court members when Roe v Wade was passed suggests that there was neither a Republican-Democrat nor a conservative-liberal split in that vote. I don't see anything that suggests RvW was a result of the left subverting the legal process.

And even if it was, since when did "they did it first" become a legitimate excuse?
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

Mountain Man: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's not "changing the law".
    Removing a law because it is considered unconstitutional is definitely changing the law.
    I'd still give you a cheeseburger, Roy.
    I'd rather have a doner kebab.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

Mountain Man: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Removing a law because it is considered unconstitutional is definitely changing the law.
    Well, if it's unconstitutional, it NEEDS to be removed, eh?
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

7. Amen RumTumTugger, Sparko, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Just a side note:

Supreme Court allows broad enforcement of Trump asylum rule

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court is allowing nationwide enforcement of a new Trump administration rule that prevents most Central American migrants from seeking asylum in the United States.

7-2 BTW
    7-2 means that even some of the court's liberals voted in favor of it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    7-2 means that even some of the court's liberals voted in favor of it.
    Yep!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A quick check of the supreme court members when Roe v Wade was passed suggests that there was neither a Republican-Democrat nor a conservative-liberal split in that vote. I don't see anything that suggests RvW was a result of the left subverting the legal process.
    Whatever it was, the decision was certainly not conservative, however you purport to "quickly check" the justices involved.

And even if it was, since when did "they did it first" become a legitimate excuse?
    Lemme know when you figure out that I'm as much against that as you ostensibly are. I want conservative justices to correct the gross misreading of the Constitution that was Roe v. Wade, not create further errors supporting positions with which I happen to agree.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

11. Amen rogue06, RumTumTugger, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Whatever it was, the decision was certainly not conservative, however you purport to "quickly check" the justices involved.

Lemme know when you figure out that I'm as much against that as you ostensibly are. I want conservative justices to correct the gross misreading of the Constitution that was Roe v. Wade, not create further errors supporting positions with which I happen to agree.
    Out of curiosity, would you be in support of a hypothetical overturning of Roe that went completely in the other direction, i.e. finding that the Constitution affirmatively prohibits abortion?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Out of curiosity, would you be in support of a hypothetical overturning of Roe that went completely in the other direction, i.e. finding that the Constitution affirmatively prohibits abortion?
    I would, though what is likely to happen is that the question will be returned to the states - where it belonged.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...