Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 641

Thread: Why I Voted For Trump...

  1. #41
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,609
    Amen (Given)
    302
    Amen (Received)
    1596
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    By treasonous con man do you mean beat the person that the left wing elites selected for us because it was "her turn"? The guy that caused the left to unhinge to such a degree that they had to cobble together a bunch of fake rumors and unsubstantiated slurs in an attempt to overturn an election and kick out a duly elected president? THAT sort of treasonous conman?
    I'd call your comments here 'unhinged' in terms of their relation to reality. There is a good bit of that going around. And a good bit of the general trend towards unhingedness comes from each side not being willing to address the truth that is owned on the other.

    This president pushes against very real and necessary boundaries that must be maintained if we are to maintain even a minimum level of integrity and if we are to keep the principle of the separation of powers intact. Boundaries agreed to long ago due to the same tendency to excess and abuse he revels in and seen historically in leaders across the word. Elements of excess like Trumps flaunting of his outright mockery of the emoluments clause and the basis for its existence. His refusal to yield to legal supenas. His acceptance of help from foreign power - however small you may have been convinced it was.

    These are bad things. And they put us on a dark path away from the rule of law, and toward the potential for too much power in the hands of the president and too much corruption in the office of the president and an undoing of one of the primary founding principles of our government.

    That no man or woman is capable of resisting the temptations of and inevitable and abuse of power. Therefore power is distributed across three orthoganal elements with different goals and sources that keep each other in check and that have the power to stop and push back against those that would go too far in the others.

    Going too far

    You see, there is a real reason that some violations of these priciples can exist and be tolerated. Because they don't go too far. So many times the argument to ignore or excuse trump on these issues is that others have done things that fit the same category, or that taken in isolation could be said to be 'the same'

    The difference here is the total lack of respect and understanding of why they exist. And the brazen unwillingness to practice any level of self-control in their abuse. Trump goes too far. And in doing so endangers the constiution and the republic he has been elected to govern.

    Jim

  2. Amen JimL amen'd this post.
  3. #42
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    52,261
    Amen (Given)
    1110
    Amen (Received)
    19025
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I'd call your comments here 'unhinged' in terms of their relation to reality.
    If someone is still clinging to the terminally discredited claim that Trump colluded with Putin then ipso facto they are unhinged or at the very least purposefully deluded.

    The actual "treasonous conman" were those engaged in an attempt to overthrow a duly elected president through deliberate, duplicitous fraud and deceit.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  4. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  5. #43
    tWebber Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,670
    Amen (Given)
    663
    Amen (Received)
    1466
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Striking down a law is striking down a law; it does not change the law in question but simply removes it from the books.
    Thereby changing the laws (plural) by removing a law (singular).

    It's not so hard to understand.
    And as for interpreting the law is concerned, the whole point is to decide how a law applies to a case being heard, and not to "interpret" the law to mean something other than what is written, or create new applications for a law that were never intended by the legislature. Appointing conservative judges is to ensure that the former happens and not the latter.
    Scalia and Rehnquist's decisions, particularly the ones relating to establishment of religion, refute that.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

    mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

    Mountain Man: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.

  6. #44
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,609
    Amen (Given)
    302
    Amen (Received)
    1596
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    If someone is still clinging to the terminally discredited claim that Trump colluded with Putin then ipso facto they are unhinged or at the very least purposefully deluded.

    The actual "treasonous conman" were those engaged in an attempt to overthrow a duly elected president through deliberate, duplicitous fraud and deceit.
    I see you ignored the rest of the post. That trump asked for help is a simple fact. He did it publicly. That Russia tried to help Trump win is also well documented and well known. I did not use the term collusion nor was there anything in my post that implied overt collusion. Neither did I use the term 'conman'. Those are all your words rogue use in response to my post (though originally used in response to JimL), and that context (my post) they do sound a bit unhinged as they have nothing to do with my response.

    Perhaps you could take the time to actually address the content of my post more in keeping with your demonstrated capacity for reasoned thought?

    Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-15-2019 at 06:32 AM.

  7. #45
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,350
    Amen (Given)
    5743
    Amen (Received)
    6110
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Thereby changing the laws (plural) by removing a law (singular).

    It's not so hard to understand.Scalia and Rehnquist's decisions, particularly the ones relating to establishment of religion, refute that.
    Sorry, but playing semantics won't save you from your ignorant flub.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  8. #46
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    52,261
    Amen (Given)
    1110
    Amen (Received)
    19025
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I see you ignored the rest of the post. That trump asked for help is a simple fact. He did it publicly. That Russia tried to help Trump win is also well documented and well known. I did not use the term collusion nor was there anything in my post that implied overt collusion. Neither did I use the term 'conman'. Those are all your words rogue use in response to my post (though originally used in response to JimL), and that context (my post) they do sound a bit unhinged as they have nothing to do with my response.

    Perhaps you could take the time to actually address the content of my post more in keeping with your demonstrated capacity for reasoned thought?

    Jim
    The reason that I ignored it was that this stuff has been explained to you in excruciating details multiple times. For instance, back when Trump "asked" the Russians for help, I (who was still quite unhappy about Trump had just become the Republican nominee) didn't need it explained that his comments were done sarcastically -- as a way of poking the MSM in the eye for mostly showing reluctance in investigating Hillary's missing 33,000 emails. The very fact that he did it in the middle of a public speech that was being recorded ought to be sufficient to clue in even the most jaded Trump hater that this was anything but a serious request. A serious request would be done in a discreet manner and very surreptitiously simply because you do not want everyone knowing about it.

    And if you object to how I respond then don't interject yourself into an exchange between others, especially starting off with "I'd call your comments here 'unhinged' in terms of their relation to reality."

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  9. #47
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,621
    Amen (Given)
    1685
    Amen (Received)
    1471
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    The reason that I ignored it was that this stuff has been explained to you in excruciating details multiple times. For instance, back when Trump "asked" the Russians for help, I (who was still quite unhappy about Trump had just become the Republican nominee) didn't need it explained that his comments were done sarcastically -- as a way of poking the MSM in the eye for mostly showing reluctance in investigating Hillary's missing 33,000 emails. The very fact that he did it in the middle of a public speech that was being recorded ought to be sufficient to clue in even the most jaded Trump hater that this was anything but a serious request. A serious request would be done in a discreet manner and very surreptitiously simply because you do not want everyone knowing about it.

    And if you object to how I respond then don't interject yourself into an exchange between others, especially starting off with "I'd call your comments here 'unhinged' in terms of their relation to reality."
    You still didn't answer to the substance of Jims post. That Trumps request for Russian help was just sarcasm is a subjective belief which of course is the stance his supporters would adopt, but regardless, that doesn't speak to the gist of his post. Trump is an authoritarian who is abusing his office, diregarding the Constitution and undermining democracy here and around the world. He's Putin's boy!

  10. #48
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,350
    Amen (Given)
    5743
    Amen (Received)
    6110
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    That Russia tried to help Trump win is also well documented and well known.
    Fake news. It is "well-documented" that Russia maybe tried to disrupt the election with an underfunded and ineffectual social media campaign, but even the Senate Intelligence Committee, headed up by two staunch Trump critics, admitted that "the goal of our ‎adversaries was not to favor one party ‎over the other."
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  11. #49
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,796
    Amen (Given)
    224
    Amen (Received)
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Scalia and Rehnquist's decisions, particularly the ones relating to establishment of religion, refute that.
    In what way? Please cite some specific examples--vague statements are insufficient.

    But let's suppose and accept that some of their decisions do ""interpret" the law to mean something other than what is written, or create new applications for a law that were never intended by the legislature." No judge is completely immune from such a thing--the question is which justices are far less prone to doing it. I would say that, by and large, "conservative" judges are less likely to do so than "liberal" judges.

  12. Amen Mountain Man amen'd this post.
  13. #50
    Professor Catholicity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    the neighbor of the yellow brick road
    Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,085
    Amen (Given)
    1138
    Amen (Received)
    1637
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Fake news. It is "well-documented" that Russia maybe tried to disrupt the election with an underfunded and ineffectual social media campaign, but even the Senate Intelligence Committee, headed up by two staunch Trump critics, admitted that "the goal of our ‎adversaries was not to favor one party ‎over the other."
    What's fake about it? He's on VIDEO saying "Russia if you're listening...." VIDEO.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •