Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why I Voted For Trump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    I didn't vote for Trump. I voted for Rand Paul in the primary and Gary Johnson in the general election. I thought Trump was too inexperienced and too uncertain to have his fingers anywhere near the nuclear hot buttons.

But now, with the advantage of hindsight, I will have no problem voting for him in 2020. He has proven himself to be anti-globalist (win) and anti-militarist (another win). I don't like what's happening with the imbalanced budgets and the national debt (which is a looming disaster) but no other candidates have offered any solutions yet. Rand Paul came closest.
    I liked Rand Paul and would have voted for him if he wasn't out of the running by the time the primary got to my state. My choices were Cruz, Trump, and Kasich. I thought Trump was the only viable candidate at that point
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I didn't vote for Trump. I voted for Rand Paul in the primary and Gary Johnson in the general election. I thought Trump was too inexperienced and too uncertain to have his fingers anywhere near the nuclear hot buttons.

But now, with the advantage of hindsight, I will have no problem voting for him in 2020. He has proven himself to be anti-globalist (win) and anti-militarist (another win). I don't like what's happening with the imbalanced budgets and the national debt (which is a looming disaster) but no other candidates have offered any solutions yet. Rand Paul came closest.
      I was an ABT (Anybody But Trump) person during the primaries last go-around and held my nose and voted for him (which was really a vote to stop Hillary, not because I wanted him for POTUS). While I realize that I established an awfully low bar, Trump, for the most part, has been considerably better than I would have ever expected. And while I still don't like him and can barely stand to hear him make a speech, at this point I figure I'll probably vote for him in 2020.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I was an ABT (Anybody But Trump) person during the primaries last go-around and held my nose and voted for him (which was really a vote to stop Hillary, not because I wanted him for POTUS). While I realize that I established an awfully low bar, Trump, for the most part, has been considerably better than I would have ever expected. And while I still don't like him and can barely stand to hear him make a speech, at this point I figure I'll probably vote for him in 2020.
        You, therefore, are a Trumpster, died-in-the-wool Trump defender, defending him at every turn!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          I liked Rand Paul and would have voted for him if he wasn't out of the running by the time the primary got to my state. My choices were Cruz, Trump, and Kasich. I thought Trump was the only viable candidate at that point
          I went from Walker to Carson to Cruz finally settled on Trump...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
            Carson, yes --- never Cruz.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I started with Walker and pretty much shifted to whoever was still running against Trump.

Bluntly, after looking at what he has said in the past, I figured that he was just saying whatever he thought would help get him elected and that he was a liberal in sheep's clothing.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Carson, yes --- never Cruz.
                Walker was my guy, and I don't know why he dropped out so soon...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Walker was my guy, and I don't know why he dropped out so soon...
                  He dropped out because he saw the writing on the wall and knew he wasn't going to win. I praised his decision to do so because he called for the rest of the candidates to unite against Trump.

As I said, I was an ABT throughout the primaries.

Comment

I started with Walker and pretty much shifted to whoever was still running against Trump.

Bluntly, after looking at what he has said in the past, I figured that he was just saying whatever he thought would help get him elected and that he was a liberal in sheep's clothing.
                    I actually believe that if the liberals did not attack him from day one he would have governed more from center left... I'm in the NY TV market, so we always saw him on the tube - never thought he was a conservative...

Comment

He dropped out because he saw the writing on the wall and knew he wasn't going to win. I praised his decision to do so because he called for the rest of the candidates to unite against Trump.

As I said, I was an ABT throughout the primaries.
                      What finally turned me was not the back and forth with the other candidates, but his frontal assault on the leftist press. Something Bush Jr, McCain or Romney never did...

Comment

I actually believe that if the liberals did not attack him from day one he would have governed more from center left... I'm in the NY TV market, so we always saw him on the tube - never thought he was a conservative...
                        Yup.

As I noted back when he was running
                        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Yeah, until recently he was
                        • strongly pro-abortion (saying on Fox News Sunday that he was "totally pro-choice"), co-sponsored a dinner honoring a leader of NARAL, and came out against any ban on partial birth abortions
                        • pro-gun control supporting the assault weapons bans and calling for longer waiting times before a firearm could be purchased
                        • called for a one-time 14.25% "net worth tax" on the wealthy as a key part of his economic proposals when he ran for president in 1999
                        • called for a "path to citizenship" for illegal aliens on Bill O'Reilly's Fox News show.
                        • in one of his books he said that the U.S. needed a universal health care modeled on the Canadian system and described himself as "very liberal when it comes to health care" on Larry King's old show on CNN.
                        • Politically he has gone from being a Republican to an Independent, to a Democrat and back to being a Republican. During his Democrat phase he contributed heavily to Hillary Clinton (calling her a fantastic Senator) and the Clinton Foundation. He also donated money to Rahm Emanuel and Harry Reid and, in the 2004 and 2006 elections he and his son donated $117,700 to Democrats and $41,500 to Republicans.

Comment

Yup.

As I noted back when he was running
                          The left pushed him into our waiting arms!

Comment

Interesting. I was in nearly the exact same mindframe as you.

1) I hated both Hillary and Trump
                            2) I still can't stand listening to Trump give a speech - I have to shut him off
                            3) His performance in office has been much better than I expected (admittedly I didn't expect much)
                            4) Unless there is a major event between now and the elections, I will vote for him this time around

One Dem candidate that I find respectable is Tulsi Gabbard. I don't like her domestic platform but geopolitically she speaks my language.

Comment

Interesting. I was in nearly the exact same mindframe as you.

1) I hated both Hillary and Trump
                              2) I still can't stand listening to Trump give a speech - I have to shut him off
                              3) His performance in office has been much better than I expected (admittedly I didn't expect much)
                              4) Unless there is a major event between now and the elections, I will vote for him this time around

One Dem candidate that I find respectable is Tulsi Gabbard. I don't like her domestic platform but geopolitically she speaks my language.
                              But as Hillary said, Tulsi (whom I like), is a Russian asset!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                If Paul was out of the running by my primary I would have voted Libertarian. It is my registered party, after all (although I often vote for outside candidates).

Comment