Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why NC-9 Should Frighten the Democrats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Er, technically, they didn't 'pursue' legislation...

Read a WP article - the Dems claim the Speaker promised no votes and local outlets report only one or two Dems actually attended 9/11 memorials at the time. The Speaker denies making the promise.

How did the Democrats not know the legislature was in session? Where were they?
    I can't read that paywalled site but given the specific nature of the allegation of notice from multiple parties, I see no reason to believe that denial. One prominent Democrat has pointed to the existence of a paper trail documenting this.

They did know they were in session but figured the gravity of the date was such that both sides might agree that politics could be put aside for a few hours.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      The term "bellwether" was being tossed around by liberal pundits before the election, saying that it would be a preview of the 2020 election. There were actually two races in North Carolina. One was a blowout in favor of the Republicans, the other, in the 9th district, was a narrow win. Of course the narrative immediately changed, and now it's no longer a sign of things to come.
      Funny how that works.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        Sounds like to me the Republicans calculated slyly, and exploited a chance opportunity, and cheated their enemy.
        Quite possibly - but where were these guys?
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I can't read that paywalled site but given the specific nature of the allegation of notice from multiple parties, I see no reason to believe that denial. One prominent Democrat has pointed to the existence of a paper trail documenting this.

They did know they were in session but figured the gravity of the date was such that both sides might agree that politics could be put aside for a few hours.
          ? Paywall?

I didn't see one - sorry.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Nope, just a local controversy.

The Republicans in the state legislature waited until most of the Democrats were at a 9/11 memorial service to sneak overturn the governor's veto of the budget (after promising they wouldn't pursue any legislation). I'm furious.
            Nothing new, that is how the republican party operates, when republicans know they can't win democratically, they find ways to undermine the democratic process. This was just a blatant example of what they do. The reason they even had this special election is because of the election fraud they carried out in the last election.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Nothing new, that is how the republican party operates, when republicans know they can't win democratically, they find ways to undermine the democratic process. This was just a blatant example of what they do. The reason they even had this special election is because of the election fraud they carried out in the last election.
              That’s rich. Tell me again what party has used the courts to shove their agenda down the throats of Americans.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                That’s rich. Tell me again what party has used the courts to shove their agenda down the throats of Americans.
                You don't believe in courts, eh Lilpix? Typical republican!

Comment

You don't believe in courts, eh Lilpix? Typical republican!
                  Your claim:

“Republicans know that they can’t win democratically...”

So tell us, how many issues did liberals take to the courts because they couldn’t win through the ballet box?
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Your claim:

“Republicans know that they can’t win democratically...”

So tell us, how many issues did liberals take to the courts because they couldn’t win through the ballet box?
                    Actually it's your claim, so you tell me.

Comment

Actually it's your claim, so you tell me.
                      Sorry Jimmy, but even a high school history student can name court cases that were used to pass measures that faced losses at the ballet box. You’re the one making the claim that republicans can’t win democratically. Not my fault you don’t remember court cases where liberals did exactly that. Bypassed the democratic process because they couldn’t win at the ballet box.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Trick question. Both of them have.

Though I would say the Democratic Party does do it more often.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                          Trick question. Both of them have.

Though I would say the Democratic Party does do it more often.
                          Both parties have no issue doing what it takes to win. It’s just pure irony that Jimmy attacks Republicans for trying to subvert the democratic process when many of the most important liberal victories, over the past 50 years, have been handed through forcing the issue through the courts when ballet box measures fail. Even better is changing up the senate and house rules and than complaining when your opponents start playing by your own rules.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Both parties have no issue doing what it takes to win. It’s just pure irony that Jimmy attacks Republicans for trying to subvert the democratic process when many of the most important liberal victories, over the past 50 years, have been handed through forcing the issue through the courts when ballet box measures fail. Even better is changing up the senate and house rules and than complaining when your opponents start playing by your own rules.
                            First off I didn't claim there was anything wrong with going through the courts, that's what courts are for. But you made the challenge that only liberals win through the courts, so it's up to you to prove it.

Comment

First off I didn't claim there was anything wrong with going through the courts, that's what courts are for. But you made the challenge that only liberals win through the courts, so it's up to you to prove it.
                              She didn't say only.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I never said that. Maybe you should try not making up something in order to make it easier to refute. The point is that democrats are more than willing to subvert democratic processes, in order to win. A thing you seem to believe to be something only republicans do.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment