Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

The floor is lava! THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The floor is lava! THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

My cat Phoebe has developed a fear of the floor. I think it's related to the fact that she somehow got fleas. I know fleas can happen even with indoor-only kitties, but I still wasn't expecting it. I've found a grand total of two fleas on her in the past week+, so it's not a huge infestation, but it's enough to bother her. I just got a package of Advantage, but haven't applied it yet. It will be the first medication I've used on her, and I'm always apprehensive about such firsts.

I'm going to assume the Advantage will work, and take care of that part of the issue.

Does anyone have experience with the "fear of floor" neurosis? I've come across many people asking what can cause it, but I haven't seen anyone talk about how to cure it. I'd like her to have a happier and less limited existence.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

You will need to change her name from Phoebe to Phobia.

When I took my dog Jake to visit my brother a couple of weeks ago, he was afraid of the wooden floor. Turns out it was slippery to his paws and he didn't like that. He eventually got used to it though and learned to walk slower.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      You will need to change her name from Phoebe to Phobia.

When I took my dog Jake to visit my brother a couple of weeks ago, he was afraid of the wooden floor. Turns out it was slippery to his paws and he didn't like that. He eventually got used to it though and learned to walk slower.
      She currently fears the hardwood, tile, and carpeted floors. Just in the past couple of days she has started fearing the concrete floor of the basement. She also fears the sofa, loveseat, and both recliners. She also fears me if I'm on one of the recliners, but not the other. She is willing to have half of herself resting on the floor if I'm on the floor and her front half is on me. So that may be a way of helping her get back to normal.

For now, I am, according to some, "enabling" her by feeding her on a counter a few feet off the floor. She has also taken to drinking water from a big mug instead of her bowl, which is so stinkin' cute, I may continue that practice indefinitely.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

BTW, she is named after the "Friends" character who sang "Smelly Cat," because she had horrible noxious flatulence when I first adopted her as a juvenile stray. That cleared up in a week or so, but the name stayed.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          She currently fears the hardwood, tile, and carpeted floors. Just in the past couple of days she has started fearing the concrete floor of the basement. She also fears the sofa, loveseat, and both recliners. She also fears me if I'm on one of the recliners, but not the other. She is willing to have half of herself resting on the floor if I'm on the floor and her front half is on me. So that may be a way of helping her get back to normal.

For now, I am, according to some, "enabling" her by feeding her on a counter a few feet off the floor. She has also taken to drinking water from a big mug instead of her bowl, which is so stinkin' cute, I may continue that practice indefinitely.
          Have you checked her feet to see if there is anything wrong, like sores or something stuck in one of them?

Comment

BTW, she is named after the "Friends" character who sang "Smelly Cat," because she had horrible noxious flatulence when I first adopted her as a juvenile stray. That cleared up in a week or so, but the name stayed.
            Sounds like this might be a very valuable cat you could sell for big bucks!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Have you talked to your vet? Or asked an online vet about it?

As smart as cats are, I'm not sure they would associate the floor with how they got fleas. Something else may have happened to scare her.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

My cat stayed in the bathroom for a month or so because of fleas. She even stayed around my other cat -- who she didn't like. After the fleas were gone, she was back to normal.

Comment

But you still kept her after the flatulence stopped?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                    He just got used to it.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                      Yes! It was either because of bad diet of being a stray, or a side-effect of being in heat. I got her fixed ASAP after she claimed me, and feed her decent food.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Advantage is very safe - I use it and I'm paranoid with flea meds. A healthy adult cat should have no problems. Some cats don't like the feel of it and a few develop mild irritation at the site.

You've got the right idea with slowly encouraging her.

Try giving her a towel to sit on on the couch then put it on the floor next to the couch. See if she'll get on it.

Treats on floor near safe spots - let her decide how bad she wants it.

See what happens in a day or two - if it is related to the fleas, it should clear up quickly.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Kitty has been throwing up. The first two didn't really bother me. They included obvious fur-turds (even though I brush her). But she has thrown up slime and kibble at least 4x since I applied Advantage on Tuesday. On the "plus" side, her appetite remains ok, she seems energetic, happy, and friendly, and she is getting over "fear of floor." (The fact that she saw a moth there that she wanted to chase helped.)

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Did find this which mentions vomiting as a possible side effect.

What you're describing wouldn't alarm me - but I would be watching for other signs. A good appetite and hydration should mean she's sorting things out just fine. Especially in the next 24 hours watch for any neurological signs - twitching, paralysis, trouble with walking, balance and seizures - any of those mean head for the vet right then. Otherwise, if she gets no worse, things should be fine.

If it gets worse or won't improve after a couple days, then a vet visit is in order.

Is she a long hair? She might be retaining some of the medicine in her fur - licking that might explain the sporadic vomiting. If you like, it's been plenty long enough (48 hrs) to go ahead and wipe down the treatment area with a damp cloth to clear any possible residue.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Ok, things seem to have stabilized acceptably, apart from my cat's innate kookiness.

She vomited at least once a day for over a week. I called the Bayer number on the literature that came with the Advantage II, and the nice vet tech lady said to give it another day or two, and if there was no improvement, call the vet. Kitty skipped vomiting for about two days, then had a couple of minor episodes of yorking up a bit of clear liquid, and has now gone at least two more days without incident.

Appetite and energy were off for about a day, and have since rebounded, almost too much. She has about 2-3 hours per day when she dashes around like she did when she was a kitten. Keeps clearing the dining room table when she jumps onto it and skids into things. That's in addition to "play" sessions with her toys.

Mostly no longer afraid of the floor, but still prefers elevated spots. She now travels from place to place on her own, rather than crying for me to come and rescue her by carrying her.

Much less scratching and biting herself, no (noticeable) depositing of fur and flea dirt. (Ew.)

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X