Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The floor is lava! THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

The floor is lava! THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

My cat Phoebe has developed a fear of the floor. I think it's related to the fact that she somehow got fleas. I know fleas can happen even with indoor-only kitties, but I still wasn't expecting it. I've found a grand total of two fleas on her in the past week+, so it's not a huge infestation, but it's enough to bother her. I just got a package of Advantage, but haven't applied it yet. It will be the first medication I've used on her, and I'm always apprehensive about such firsts.

I'm going to assume the Advantage will work, and take care of that part of the issue.

Does anyone have experience with the "fear of floor" neurosis? I've come across many people asking what can cause it, but I haven't seen anyone talk about how to cure it. I'd like her to have a happier and less limited existence.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You will need to change her name from Phoebe to Phobia.

When I took my dog Jake to visit my brother a couple of weeks ago, he was afraid of the wooden floor. Turns out it was slippery to his paws and he didn't like that. He eventually got used to it though and learned to walk slower.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    You will need to change her name from Phoebe to Phobia.

When I took my dog Jake to visit my brother a couple of weeks ago, he was afraid of the wooden floor. Turns out it was slippery to his paws and he didn't like that. He eventually got used to it though and learned to walk slower.
    She currently fears the hardwood, tile, and carpeted floors. Just in the past couple of days she has started fearing the concrete floor of the basement. She also fears the sofa, loveseat, and both recliners. She also fears me if I'm on one of the recliners, but not the other. She is willing to have half of herself resting on the floor if I'm on the floor and her front half is on me. So that may be a way of helping her get back to normal.

For now, I am, according to some, "enabling" her by feeding her on a counter a few feet off the floor. She has also taken to drinking water from a big mug instead of her bowl, which is so stinkin' cute, I may continue that practice indefinitely.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    BTW, she is named after the "Friends" character who sang "Smelly Cat," because she had horrible noxious flatulence when I first adopted her as a juvenile stray. That cleared up in a week or so, but the name stayed.

Beige Nationalist.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    She currently fears the hardwood, tile, and carpeted floors. Just in the past couple of days she has started fearing the concrete floor of the basement. She also fears the sofa, loveseat, and both recliners. She also fears me if I'm on one of the recliners, but not the other. She is willing to have half of herself resting on the floor if I'm on the floor and her front half is on me. So that may be a way of helping her get back to normal.

For now, I am, according to some, "enabling" her by feeding her on a counter a few feet off the floor. She has also taken to drinking water from a big mug instead of her bowl, which is so stinkin' cute, I may continue that practice indefinitely.
    Have you checked her feet to see if there is anything wrong, like sores or something stuck in one of them?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    BTW, she is named after the "Friends" character who sang "Smelly Cat," because she had horrible noxious flatulence when I first adopted her as a juvenile stray. That cleared up in a week or so, but the name stayed.
    Sounds like this might be a very valuable cat you could sell for big bucks!
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Have you talked to your vet? Or asked an online vet about it?

As smart as cats are, I'm not sure they would associate the floor with how they got fleas. Something else may have happened to scare her.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My cat stayed in the bathroom for a month or so because of fleas. She even stayed around my other cat -- who she didn't like. After the fleas were gone, she was back to normal.

9. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But you still kept her after the flatulence stopped?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    But you still kept her after the flatulence stopped?
    He just got used to it.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.