Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The floor is lava! THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    But you still kept her after the flatulence stopped?
    Yes! It was either because of bad diet of being a stray, or a side-effect of being in heat. I got her fixed ASAP after she claimed me, and feed her decent food.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Advantage is very safe - I use it and I'm paranoid with flea meds. A healthy adult cat should have no problems. Some cats don't like the feel of it and a few develop mild irritation at the site.

You've got the right idea with slowly encouraging her.

Try giving her a towel to sit on on the couch then put it on the floor next to the couch. See if she'll get on it.

Treats on floor near safe spots - let her decide how bad she wants it.

See what happens in a day or two - if it is related to the fleas, it should clear up quickly.

3. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Kitty has been throwing up. The first two didn't really bother me. They included obvious fur-turds (even though I brush her). But she has thrown up slime and kibble at least 4x since I applied Advantage on Tuesday. On the "plus" side, her appetite remains ok, she seems energetic, happy, and friendly, and she is getting over "fear of floor." (The fact that she saw a moth there that she wanted to chase helped.)
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Did find this which mentions vomiting as a possible side effect.

What you're describing wouldn't alarm me - but I would be watching for other signs. A good appetite and hydration should mean she's sorting things out just fine. Especially in the next 24 hours watch for any neurological signs - twitching, paralysis, trouble with walking, balance and seizures - any of those mean head for the vet right then. Otherwise, if she gets no worse, things should be fine.

If it gets worse or won't improve after a couple days, then a vet visit is in order.

Is she a long hair? She might be retaining some of the medicine in her fur - licking that might explain the sporadic vomiting. If you like, it's been plenty long enough (48 hrs) to go ahead and wipe down the treatment area with a damp cloth to clear any possible residue.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ok, things seem to have stabilized acceptably, apart from my cat's innate kookiness.

She vomited at least once a day for over a week. I called the Bayer number on the literature that came with the Advantage II, and the nice vet tech lady said to give it another day or two, and if there was no improvement, call the vet. Kitty skipped vomiting for about two days, then had a couple of minor episodes of yorking up a bit of clear liquid, and has now gone at least two more days without incident.

Appetite and energy were off for about a day, and have since rebounded, almost too much. She has about 2-3 hours per day when she dashes around like she did when she was a kitten. Keeps clearing the dining room table when she jumps onto it and skids into things. That's in addition to "play" sessions with her toys.

Mostly no longer afraid of the floor, but still prefers elevated spots. She now travels from place to place on her own, rather than crying for me to come and rescue her by carrying her.

Much less scratching and biting herself, no (noticeable) depositing of fur and flea dirt. (Ew.)

Beige Nationalist.

7. Amen mossrose, Teallaura amen'd this post.