Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Calling all Catholics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Can you help me out with the language here? Are they saying that those who were born into Protestant communities essentially don't know better, and thus have the right to be called "Christian", but those who were born into the Catholic Church, but who abandoned it, and then became Protestants....don't have the right to be called "Christian"? It doesn't say as much, but is that the correct reading between the lines?
    No, I don't think that is at all intended. In the larger context, they are saying that both Catholics and Protestants who were involved in the creation of the schism are both at fault, not just the Protestants. Catholics are acknowledging that they are also at fault for the separation. But those who are born later bear no responsibility for the sin of schism.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      Oh, right, thanks for reminding me. I vaguely recall something about that. I seem to recall that some even claim to take their name from a core group of the followers of John the Baptist, or something like that.
      That claim is a modern excuse to call themselves baptist. Historically has no bases that I know of. Only that there was always a church separate from Rome and Orthodox split. See also the Concise History of Baptists by Orchard.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        What convinces you that the Catholic Church is the original church founded by Jesus? Being raised Catholic? Being a convert to the Catholic Church?
        ## Speaking as a convert:
        1. The good things are of the kind one might expect
        2. The bad stuff in particular is of the kind one might expect.

A Christian Church should bring forth fruits of holiness - the CC does. Case in point: Blessed Chiara Badano (1971-90). I mention her because she is very recent, and because teenage Saints are somewhat unusual, unless they are martyrs - she was not. She is also a model for bone cancer sufferers.

If the CC is Divine, the sins and scandals of the last 1900 years are not surprising. Only a Church that has the capacity for raising Saints of radiant holiness could produce some of the people who, fairly or not, are notorious for unholiness. That is one of the things I like best about the CC - it can accommodate some really horrible people; that means it has room for me. Which is in turn a reminder that one must not presume to judge others - today's alcoholic or murderer may in God's good time be recognised as a Saint. Being Catholic can be painful, but it is never dull. A great part of the attraction for me was the fact of the Saints. They are so varied, in so many ways. Their variety is for me one of the surest indications that the Church really is One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic in time and space.

Jesus "taught with authority/power" -and the CC is not shy of making the very same claim. If it is the Church of Christ, it should do His works, by His authority. He claimed to pardon sin - it makes the very same claim. The accusations against it are often those made against Him. Blasphemy, driving out evil with the help of evil, being called accursed, being called demonic or satanic, being called the Antichrist, being called an enemy of religion or a deceiver, are reproaches made against both Him & it in one form or another.

None of these considerations is coercive, but put together I find them, and others, very powerful. But as for conviction, reason is far too feeble to give that. If a Christian religious commitment is to be made, only something as hardwearing as faith will do. And faith is fruitless without love. The giving of conviction is ultimately a mystery of God's grace.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X