Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gun Control - moved from E-cig thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Democrats Warn That Radicalized Airplanes May Be Planning Another Major Attack

U.S.—In a recent press conference, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senator Cory Booker and other top Democrats expressed deep concerns that airplanes might, of their own free will, launch another violent attack, similar to the events of 9/11.

“Eighteen years ago, after months of careful plotting, three passenger planes committed one of the greatest atrocities on American soil,” Pelosi stated, “and it could happen again if we don’t introduce new and invasive regulations!”

The Democrats cited a recent CNN report regarding several radicalized Boeing 757’s that were arrested for alleged terrorist plots.

“We’ve known for years that guns have been directly responsible for nearly all violent crime ever committed,” Booker elaborated, “but while we were so focused on AR-15s & BB-8s, planes have been lurking in the shadows, ready to pounce!”

During the conference, the Democrats introduced a new bill that would require exhaustive background checks, psych evaluations, and a waiting period before an airplane could be approved for flight.

“The Wright brothers never intended for airplanes to travel so quickly, powerfully and efficiently!” Pelosi concluded.

https://babylonbee.com/news/democrat...similar-to-911
    good thing I checked the source

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
      good thing I checked the source
      Really Rum, given who the Dems are, is this far behind?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Democrats Warn That Radicalized Airplanes May Be Planning Another Major Attack

U.S.—In a recent press conference, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senator Cory Booker and other top Democrats expressed deep concerns that airplanes might, of their own free will, launch another violent attack, similar to the events of 9/11.

“Eighteen years ago, after months of careful plotting, three passenger planes committed one of the greatest atrocities on American soil,” Pelosi stated, “and it could happen again if we don’t introduce new and invasive regulations!”

The Democrats cited a recent CNN report regarding several radicalized Boeing 757’s that were arrested for alleged terrorist plots.

“We’ve known for years that guns have been directly responsible for nearly all violent crime ever committed,” Booker elaborated, “but while we were so focused on AR-15s & BB-8s, planes have been lurking in the shadows, ready to pounce!”

During the conference, the Democrats introduced a new bill that would require exhaustive background checks, psych evaluations, and a waiting period before an airplane could be approved for flight.

“The Wright brothers never intended for airplanes to travel so quickly, powerfully and efficiently!” Pelosi concluded.

https://babylonbee.com/news/democrat...similar-to-911
        Guns are weapons designed to kill. That is what they are meant to do. Commercial Airplanes are not weapons designed to kill. They are a means of transportation. That is what they are meant to do.

There is no meaningful analogy here.

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Look how many people's lives are ruined by "free speech" - careers ruined, people committing suicide, causing riots. And religion... wow, people have fought wars over religion. And there are religions that actually kill people, like Heaven's Gate. We really need to eliminate that First Amendment to save lives.
          Free speech is not a weapon designed to kill. It is a mechanism that ensures a despot can't hide truth from people, a mechanism that preserves the free expression of ideas.

There is no meaningful analogy here. The attempt at reductio ad absurdum fails accordingly.

Both of these attempts at reductio ad abdurdum lack understanding of what the goal is when it comes to controling access to weapons like an AR15. It is not to save lives in any way possible. It is to prevent mass murder with weapons with an inordinate capability of killing many people quickly.

As I told seer earlier, you can't generalize 'prevent mass murder' to 'save lives'. Further, you do have to control access to tools or devices not designed to kill but which can be coopted for that purpose. And in many cases, maybe most, that is what we do.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
            But that is about saying lives. And remember Jim, the worse school shooting in the US history was done with pistols.
            It is not ONLY about saving lives seer. It is about preventing random acts of murder on a massive scale.

You see it as a mere political faux pas, gun owners see it as serious attack on their rights.
            As many people saw, and still see, the civil war.

Because that is what many gun owners see does not make it true, or necessarily the most important consideration

Why work with those who would confiscation our firearms if they had the chance?
            When did you stop beating your wife?

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              It is not ONLY about saving lives seer. It is about preventing random acts of murder on a massive scale.
              Sheesh Jim, how is preventing random acts of murder not about saving lives. Do you really think it is worse being killed by an AR-15 than by a drunk driver?

As many people saw, and still see, the civil war.

Because that is what many gun owners see does not make it true, or necessarily the most important consideration
              That is because you don't see gun confiscation as a serious threat to our rights, others do

When did you stop beating your wife?

Jim
              What the heck is that suppose to mean. We have presidential candidates openly calling for confiscation; Kamala Harris being the latest.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Sheesh Jim, how is preventing random acts of murder not about saving lives. Do you really think it is worse being killed by an AR-15 than by a drunk driver?

All trucks are vehicles, but not all vehicles are trucks.

You can't prevent death seer. We all die. The issue here is whether we die the victim of random, irrational evil. Gun control is about limiting the power within easy grasp of an angry, sick, or vengeful person bent on mass murder.

That is because you don't see gun confiscation as a serious threat to our rights, others do
                And this is a democracy. So if most people see the threat the right brings as the greater of the two evils, then it can change.

What the heck is that suppose to mean. We have presidential candidates openly calling for confiscation; Kamala Harris being the latest.
                It means that I'm not walking into the trap that lives in your question

Jim

Comment

All trucks are vehicles, but not all vehicles are trucks.

You can't prevent death seer. We all die. The issue here is whether we die the victim of random, irrational evil. Gun control is about limiting the power within easy grasp of an angry, sick, or vengeful person bent on mass murder.
                  Jim, you are not making sense. A vehicle within easy grasp of an angry, sick, or vengeful person and can run down loads of people, as we have seen. And you can prevent a lot of deaths by implementing my 40 mph rule. Why not? Never mind less pollution (Of course we would have an exemption for emergency vehicles). And if memory serves the Federal Assault Weapons Ban (1994-2004) had no effect on firearm homicide rates.

And this is a democracy. So if most people see the threat the right brings as the greater of the two evils, then it can change.
                  Well let's see how good those politicians touting confiscation do...

Comment

Guns are weapons designed to kill. That is what they are meant to do. Commercial Airplanes are not weapons designed to kill. They are a means of transportation. That is what they are meant to do.

There is no meaningful analogy here.

Jim
                    The B52, F15, P38.... Do I need add more?

Comment

The B52, F15, P38.... Do I need add more?
                      Notice I said commercial aircraft. And there are restrictions on the private ownership of military aircraft. It is illegal to own militarized aircraft. So they have to be stripped of their military hardware first.

Jim

Comment

Jim, you are not making sense. A vehicle within easy grasp of an angry, sick, or vengeful person and can run down loads of people, as we have seen. And you can prevent a lot of deaths by implementing my 40 mph rule. Why not? Never mind less pollution (Of course we would have an exemption for emergency vehicles). And if memory serves the Federal Assault Weapons Ban (1994-2004) had no effect on firearm homicide rates.

Well let's see how good those politicians touting confiscation do...
                        No seer. For about the fourth time, you can't make the sort of generalizations you are making that are allowing you to make these absurd arguments. This isn't just about stopping people from dying. It's not even about stopping murder. Its about pushing back against mass murder with the easiest to use, easiest to acquire, and least regulated means available to the general public.

The problem is random, mass shootings where one or two people can kill hundreds if they want to. It is just so easy to do it with a weapon like an AR15 if that is what you want to do.

For example, we can't even own militarized airplanes, that is illegal. but we can own airplanes even though an airplane can be used to kill without military hardware attached to it.

But to use an airplane, I need a good bit of money, and training. Either that or I have to get through airport security to steal one. And then you have all the FAA monitoring of traffic etc etc.. so it's no trivial task : BECAUSE WE LICENSE PILOTS, WE MONITOR AIR it'sTRAFFIC etc, because airplanes require skill to use. There are a lot of hurdles. BUT 911, they found a way. But they were organized, and they trained. But then we put even more restrictions in place, making it even harder.

Not so guns.

Any school kid or depressed ex can take an AR15 into a crowd and kill a bunch of people. The decision can be made on the spur of the moment.

It's just too easy.

Jim

Comment

Notice I said commercial aircraft. And there are restrictions on the private ownership of military aircraft. It is illegal to own militarized aircraft. So they have to be stripped of their military hardware first.

Jim
                          What about the AR15 is military grade for one it can't be switched in seconds to a fully automatic(machine gun) like it's counter part the M4. Why you don't see any military using them? the AR15 is like the stripped down B2s, F15s, etc... which is why private ownership of AR15 are and should continue to be allowed without a special license.

Oxmix there is a huge difference between Military Grade(a weapon the military would use) and Military Style(looks only) stop conflating the 2.

Comment

What about the AR15 is military grade for one it can't be switched in seconds to a fully automatic(machine gun) like it's counter part the M4. Why you don't see any military using them? the AR15 is like the stripped down B2s, F15s, etc... which is why private ownership of AR15 are and should continue to be allowed without a special license.

Oxmix there is a huge difference between Military Grade(a weapon the military would use) and Military Style(looks only) stop conflating the 2.
                            How can I stop what I haven't been doing? You want to post an example of me doing that?

However, the AR15 is still too powerful, too useful for killing lots of people quickly to be unlicensed in some form.

Jim

Comment

Right, take that Cruz kid in Florida - all the signs were there and known, even by law enforcement - nothing was done...
                              And Florida, a republican lead legislature, has since changed the gun laws which had they been existent at the time, would have stopped Cruz from getting the AR15 he used in the shooting in the first place.

Comment

How can I stop what I haven't been doing? You want to post an example of me doing that?

However, the AR15 is still too powerful, too useful for killing lots of people quickly to be unlicensed in some form.

Jim
                                We've discussed guns before so, I know you're not ignorant about the subject. So, I don't know where you get this idea. Because ALL center fire rifles are powerful weapons...ALL of them. Of them, the .223/5.56 round that is the standard caliber for AR 15's is one of the least powerful in center fire rifles...easily in the bottom 1/3rd. It is illegal to hunt deer with it in several states because of that fact. (Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts, Virginia, Ohio, New Jersey, Washington, and West Virginia require larger bullets to be used to hunt game.)

If you want a powerful gun for killing, a Remington Model 700 in a .243 (6mm Remington) or .308 would be a better choice.
                                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment