Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Control - moved from E-cig thread

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    How can I stop what I haven't been doing? You want to post an example of me doing that?

However, the AR15 is still too powerful, too useful for killing lots of people quickly to be unlicensed in some form.

Jim
    Thatís an opinion, but it is revealing that you donít want to take a crack at my point that government incompetence leads to many of the mass shootings weíve seen.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Right, take that Cruz kid in Florida - all the signs were there and known, even by law enforcement - nothing was done...
    Many gun control advocates end up being panic button pushers that want a solution now, but donít want to figure out the problem origins. Thereís lots of gun control laws on the books. Many enforced poorly, so how will passing yet more laws, make us safer? Thus far, I havenít heard an answer yet.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

3. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No seer. For about the fourth time, you can't make the sort of generalizations you are making that are allowing you to make these absurd arguments. This isn't just about stopping people from dying. It's not even about stopping murder. Its about pushing back against mass murder with the easiest to use, easiest to acquire, and least regulated means available to the general public.

The problem is random, mass shootings where one or two people can kill hundreds if they want to. It is just so easy to do it with a weapon like an AR15 if that is what you want to do.

For example, we can't even own militarized airplanes, that is illegal. but we can own airplanes even though an airplane can be used to kill without military hardware attached to it.

But to use an airplane, I need a good bit of money, and training. Either that or I have to get through airport security to steal one. And then you have all the FAA monitoring of traffic etc etc.. so it's no trivial task : BECAUSE WE LICENSE PILOTS, WE MONITOR AIR it'sTRAFFIC etc, because airplanes require skill to use. There are a lot of hurdles. BUT 911, they found a way. But they were organized, and they trained. But then we put even more restrictions in place, making it even harder.

Not so guns.

Any school kid or depressed ex can take an AR15 into a crowd and kill a bunch of people. The decision can be made on the spur of the moment.

It's just too easy.

Jim
    And yet, it rarely happens. Why?
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Thatís an opinion, but it is revealing that you donít want to take a crack at my point that government incompetence leads to many of the mass shootings weíve seen.
    I've already told you that the fact you rarely argue a point without also attacking the person you are arguing with personally, usually painting them as sinister or conniving, is the reason I limit my responses to you. Reading anything else into it is but another symptom of that same problem.

Jim

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And yet, it rarely happens. Why?
    Because - fortunately I suppose - it is still relatively rare for a person ro be willing and motivated to take a gun like an AR15 and commit suicide by walking into a large crowd and killing as many people as possible before someone kills them.

It is becoming less rare though. And that is also a part of the problem.

Jim

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've already told you that the fact you rarely argue a point without also attacking the person you are arguing with personally, usually painting them as sinister or conniving, is the reason I limit my responses to you. Reading anything else into it is but another symptom of that same problem.

Jim
    Irony at its finest. Got an answer yet?
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Because - fortunately I suppose - it is still relatively rare for a person ro be willing and motivated to take a gun like an AR15 and commit suicide by walking into a large crowd and killing as many people as possible before someone kills them.

It is becoming less rare though. And that is also a part of the problem.

Jim
    And the solution is to pass more poorly enforced laws?
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

9. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Irony at its finest. Got an answer yet?
    Replied to:

Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd
    Jim

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And the solution is to pass more poorly enforced laws?
    I don't think anyone knows for sure what the 'solution' is. Part of the reason there is that the NRA has been successful at suppressing research into gun violence and prevention, making it difficult to know what are the likely most effective means of reducing gun violence.

Jim

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Replied to:

Jim
    Thatís because youíve ignored the point that was made.
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy