Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gun Control - moved from E-cig thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I would think that would be self explanatory but: an AR-15 is ... an AR-15. It would mean that specific rifle banned or controlled.

Like an AR-15 could be as specific as those weapons incorporating many of the elements of the AR15 design, of which there are several. Or it could be as broad as to mean any modern lightweight, low recoil, high magazine capacity, high velocity munitions, semi-automatic rifle.

Jim
    So an AR-15 is not like other semi-automatic rifles because it is an AR-15. Circular logic at its best.

And you didn't do much better with the second part essentially opening it up to describe the vast majority of semi-automatic rifles as being AR-15 like while you just said the AR-15 is distinctive.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Basically firearm technology is not allowed to improve or innovate at all. We need to go back to late 19th century technology, revolvers and rifles that have to be cocked for every shot.

Comment

• Colt suspends production of AR-15 for civilian market

https://apnews.com/fbdf5e5f6d654332bbedfaffe3663154

Not that matters, everybody and their brother are making them now...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          Colt suspends production of AR-15 for civilian market

https://apnews.com/fbdf5e5f6d654332bbedfaffe3663154

Not that matters, everybody and their brother are making them now...
          It says they are suspending all rifle production for the civilian market.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            It says they are suspending all rifle production for the civilian market.
            Yes they are focusing on the Military contracts.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              So an AR-15 is not like other semi-automatic rifles because it is an AR-15. Circular logic at its best.
              And where did I EVER say anything like that? Did you read my reply, or infer something from outer space?

And you didn't do much better with the second part essentially opening it up to describe the vast majority of semi-automatic rifles as being AR-15 like while you just said the AR-15 is distinctive.
              Something is blocking your comprehension rogue. I'll try one more time.

I was using the term "Like an AR15" to describe a class of guns that need regulation. You asked me to define the difference between "an AR-15" and "like an AR-15". I thought so you could clarify what I meant when I said "like and AR-15" as a class of guns that need to be regulated. Were you looking for something else? I gave you exactly what I meant by saying "like an AR-15".

Are you referring to sometime when I just said AR-15 vs 'like an AR-15'. I have always ONLY meant like an AR-15. If I was just talking about an AR-15 is was a simplification for convenience. I have never been talking about the AR-15 as a single focus. The AR-15 is one of the most popular rifles of that type, and it has been used a good bit in these shootings. But I'm always talking about in the context of it being a symbol of a class of rifle.

What are you thinking odd about that? It is very simple. The AR-15, and rifles like it, have certain characteristics. I listed them. There are (or used to be anyway) lots of rifles that are NOT like an ar-15. A bolt action 30.06 single shot used for hunting deer would be one. A pump action 22. A pump action shot gun. I don't see any real need to regulate those in the same way I see there being a need to regulate rifles 'LIKE' an AR-15.

So what IS your actual beef with what I've said rogue in terms of the use of the term AR-15?

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Basically firearm technology is not allowed to improve or innovate at all. We need to go back to late 19th century technology, revolvers and rifles that have to be cocked for every shot.
                if 'improve' means capable of killing more people faster - not for civilian use. No need and it creates an unnecessary danger to the public.

Jim
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

if 'improve' means capable of killing more people faster - not for civilian use. No need and it creates an unnecessary danger to the public.

Jim
                  And yet, we live in the safest time, in history. Despite the existence of such weapons. It’s almost as if you’re belief is based in emotion and not logic.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                    And yet, we live in the safest time, in history. Despite the existence of such weapons. It’s almost as if you’re belief is based in emotion and not logic.
                    Safest time in history?

Jim

Comment

Safest time in history?

Jim
                      Less chance of dying from violence than any other time in history.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Less chance of dying from violence than any other time in history.
                        Let's suppose that is real and not just some sort of pro gun lobby spin, it doesn't mean we do not work to reduce the dangers that exist. The number and intensity of random mass shootings of innocent people in the USA is on the rise and has been for a while, and we need to work to turn that around.

Jim

Comment

Let's suppose that is real and not just some sort of pro gun lobby spin, it doesn't mean we do not work to reduce the dangers that exist. The number and intensity of random mass shootings of innocent people in the USA is on the rise and has been for a while, and we need to work to turn that around.

Jim
                          Even The Huffington Post has said that much. You say, “But mass shootings are on the rise, we need to act!” Sure we do, but your proposed laws won’t help and simply will create an illusion of safety. You’re not going to pass laws until your safe, the first step is to take responsibility for your own safety and not to give into blind panic.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Jim
                            I am just damn glad you are not the arbiter of the constitution or gun regulations, Jim. We would be stuck with muskets if you were in charge. Or paintball guns.

Comment

Jim
                              You have a much better chance of dying from heart disease, cancer or a car accident than being killed by a gun.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                Even The Huffington Post has said that much. You say, “But mass shootings are on the rise, we need to act!” Sure we do, but your proposed laws won’t help and simply will create an illusion of safety. You’re not going to pass laws until your safe, the first step is to take responsibility for your own safety and not to give into blind panic.
                                On the other hand, if we just sit around on our hands doing nothing like you seem to prefer, if the trend continues, mass shootings will continue to rise and we will have done nothing.

Jim

Comment