Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gun Control - moved from E-cig thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Jim do you realize how many lives we would save if we only manufactured vehicles that could only reach the speed of 40 MPH, and had speed limit no higher than 40 MPH? And owning and driving a car is not even a Constitutional right. And remember the worse school shooting, ever, was done with two very generic hand guns. And what gun owner today would want to register his gun with the Democrats openly talking about confiscation?

Right now you are getting this:

‘SOLD OUT’: Arizona Gun Store Offers ‘Beto Specials’ on AR15s and AK47s

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-b...r15s-and-ak47s
    I don't think we can compare deaths by automobile accident and the purposed assassination of large groups of innocent people - men, women, and children. And we do licence the use of cars, the sale of cars, the drivers of cars.

And then - that people would behave as irresponsibly as your SOLD OUT sign is a big part of the problem. I mean, who, realizing that there may well be people that would use the guns bought at that sale to commit mass atrocities would nevertheless take that route? It seems like a sort of mental illness to me. Wanton disregard for others is what it boils down to to me.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Do we regulate these things that are:

1. Legally protected by the constitution.
      2. Easily hidden away.
      3. That are well over 300 million (est) in circulation.

Good luck, you’ll need it.
      2 and 3 are irrelevant. 1 is the problem. That part of the constitution served it's purpose, but I just don't believe it is still valid as it is currently being interpreted by say the NRA. Further, I don't think the right to bear arms prohibits the regulation of those arms, nor should it be interpreted to imply those that present serious risk of misuse should be allowed access to them. So it's really just a matter of how much is too much, not if we can regulate them, and not if we should regulate them.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        I don't think we can compare deaths by automobile accident and the purposed assassination of large groups of innocent people - men, women, and children. And we do licence the use of cars, the sale of cars, the drivers of cars.

And then - that people would behave as irresponsibly as your SOLD OUT sign is a big part of the problem. I mean, who, realizing that there may well be people that would use the guns bought at that sale to commit mass atrocities would nevertheless take that route? It seems like a sort of mental illness to me. Wanton disregard for others is what it boils down to to me.

Jim
        I can go buy a car today and nobody will check my license. It is only illegal to drive a car on a public street, you can drive one around your private property, to your hearts content.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Yes we do, but the point remains if saving lives is your main concern we could save thousands a year by doing what I said.

Jim
          So Jim, what gun owner today would want to register his gun with the Democrats openly talking about confiscation?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

2 and 3 are irrelevant. 1 is the problem. That part of the constitution served it's purpose, but I just don't believe it is still valid as it is currently being interpreted by say the NRA. Further, I don't think the right to bear arms prohibits the regulation of those arms, nor should it be interpreted to imply those that present serious risk of misuse should be allowed access to them. So it's really just a matter of how much is too much, not if we can regulate them, and not if we should regulate them.

Jim
            They are already regulated. As I keep pointing out ( and keeps getting ignored by you guys), massive government incompetence and inability to enforce the laws, as they exist now, is the biggest problem. Yet we should trust the same incompetent people, that can’t file paperwork or follow up on credible threats, with new laws that expand their power. What can possibility go wrong? Nobody is responsible for your own safety, but you. I’ll pass on trusting the government, with my safety.
            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 09-17-2019, 11:37 AM.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Yes we do, but the point remains if saving lives is your main concern we could save thousands a year by doing what I said.
              Wanting to reduce the risk of random acts of mass murder can not be generalized to 'wanting to save lives'. The latter is too broad to be any sort of equivalence.

So Jim, what gun owner today would want to register his gun with the Democrats openly talking about confiscation?
              You have a point. But I don't have to be for the Democrats approach to gun control in toto to be for laws that regulate the ownership of the more powerful weapons.

The Democrats are in many ways fools. Trump has given them a gift - all they need to do is put up a moderate, centrist or slightly left of center platform and they'd own the 2020 election. But they've gotten greedy. It does show their true colors, but all that means is that unless we all move away from Democrat or Republican to something that more represents what most of us are looking for, we are doomed to oscillate between different sorts of power hungry radical elements that care only about themselves and not about the country as a whole. It's very sad.

Jim

Comment

Wanting to reduce the risk of random acts of mass murder can not be generalized to 'wanting to save lives'. The latter is too broad to be any sort of equivalence.
                I thought that was the goal - to save lives. If not what is the goal?

You have a point. But I don't have to be for the Democrats approach to gun control in toto to be for laws that regulate the ownership of the more powerful weapons.
                A point - you bet, their confiscation rhetoric is only going to make gun owners less open to universal background check and registration.

The Democrats are in many ways fools. Trump has given them a gift - all they need to do is put up a moderate, centrist or slightly left of center platform and they'd own the 2020 election. But they've gotten greedy. It does show their true colors, but all that means is that unless we all move away from Democrat or Republican to something that more represents what most of us are looking for, we are doomed to oscillate between different sorts of power hungry radical elements that care only about themselves and not about the country as a whole. It's very sad.

Jim
                Well you are not going to move anything with confiscation talk, since most gun owners have long believed that was what the Dems have always been after. Now they are saying it openly.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Democrats Warn That Radicalized Airplanes May Be Planning Another Major Attack

U.S.—In a recent press conference, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senator Cory Booker and other top Democrats expressed deep concerns that airplanes might, of their own free will, launch another violent attack, similar to the events of 9/11.

“Eighteen years ago, after months of careful plotting, three passenger planes committed one of the greatest atrocities on American soil,” Pelosi stated, “and it could happen again if we don’t introduce new and invasive regulations!”

The Democrats cited a recent CNN report regarding several radicalized Boeing 757’s that were arrested for alleged terrorist plots.

“We’ve known for years that guns have been directly responsible for nearly all violent crime ever committed,” Booker elaborated, “but while we were so focused on AR-15s & BB-8s, planes have been lurking in the shadows, ready to pounce!”

During the conference, the Democrats introduced a new bill that would require exhaustive background checks, psych evaluations, and a waiting period before an airplane could be approved for flight.

“The Wright brothers never intended for airplanes to travel so quickly, powerfully and efficiently!” Pelosi concluded.

https://babylonbee.com/news/democrat...similar-to-911

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    [B][SIZE=4]

“The Wright brothers never intended for airplanes to travel so quickly, powerfully and efficiently!” Pelosi concluded.

How true, really, what damage could a little biplane to!

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                      How true, really, what damage could a little biplane to!
                      When Rogue06 and I are elected president, then hell yes, we will take away your Boeing 737's, your Airbus A330s. No one needs such machines designed for the battlefield! If the high impact, high velocity jet, when it hits your body, shreds everything inside of your body, because it was designed to do that, so that you would bleed to death on a battlefield and not be able to get up and kill one of our soldiers.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                        I thought that was the goal - to save lives. If not what is the goal?

To reduce the risk of random acts of mass murder.

A point - you bet, their confiscation rhetoric is only going to make gun owners less open to universal background check and registration.
                        True. The dems are overplaying their hand.

Well you are not going to move anything with confiscation talk, since most gun owners have long believed that was what the Dems have always been after. Now they are saying it openly.
                        Maybe, maybe not. I'm sick of all the dont do anything about it talk

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          But that is about saying lives. And remember Jim, the worse school shooting in the US history was done with pistols.

You see it as a mere political faux pas, gun owners see it as serious attack on their rights.

Jim
                          Why work with those who would confiscation our firearms if they had the chance?

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Jim
                            This reminds me of safety meetings. You get tons of ideas, but often you run into ideas not transferring to reality. Acting, and not understanding the problems, won’t do a thing. Much of the problem rest on the fact the government has shown an inability to enforce the laws that already exist. Why do we need new laws, when much of the issue sits at government’s feet? Should we first figure out this before we decide to pass laws, so we can pat ourselves on the back and feel good about ourselves?
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              This reminds me of safety meetings. You get tons of ideas, but often you run into ideas not transferring to reality. Acting, and not understanding the problems, won’t do a thing. Much of the problem rest on the fact the government has shown an inability to enforce the laws that already exist. Why do we need new laws, when much of the issue sits at government’s feet? Should we first figure out this before we decide to pass laws, so we can pat ourselves on the back and feel good about ourselves?
                              Right, take that Cruz kid in Florida - all the signs were there and known, even by law enforcement - nothing was done...

Comment

• Look how many people's lives are ruined by "free speech" - careers ruined, people committing suicide, causing riots. And religion... wow, people have fought wars over religion. And there are religions that actually kill people, like Heaven's Gate. We really need to eliminate that First Amendment to save lives.

Comment