Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Turning CO2 into fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning CO2 into fuel

Source: Science Daily

Researchers have discovered a practical starting point for converting carbon dioxide into sustainable liquid fuels, including fuels for heavier modes of transportation that may prove very difficult to electrify, like airplanes, ships and freight trains.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I can see it now, "carbon neutral" on the sign at the pump...

Blessings,
    Lee

P.S. Hat-tip to my roommate Michael for this reference...
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

No ozone! Carbon monoxide!! Monoxide!!!

Oxygen is poison!!!

Wow, being insane is hard work!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      That's fuelishness! And I just discovered that gasoline is a combination of several ingredients.

Blessings,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Trees have been converting C02 into fuel and building materials forever. Called "wood"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Trees have been converting C02 into fuel and building materials forever. Called "wood"
          Our local lumber store uses the motto "Good wood properly used has never failed".

I think it's clever -- if it fails, you didn't use it properly! (Or, maybe it wasn't "good" wood)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Our local lumber store uses the motto "Good wood properly used has never failed".

I think it's clever -- if it fails, you didn't use it properly! (Or, maybe it wasn't "good" wood)
            Isn't that a "no true scots pine" fallacy?
            "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
              Isn't that a "no true scots pine" fallacy?
              EGGcellent!!!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I can envision industrial scale equivalent of a photosynthesis process where CO2 is converted to energy through the source of easy energy sunlight. The by product would oxygen.

I believe this may be a possible viable energy source in the future, but a snowball's chance in a furnace to stop global warming.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-19-2019, 07:29 PM.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  I can envision industrial scale equivalent of a photosynthesis process where CO2 is converted to energy through the source of easy energy sunlight. The by product would oxygen.
                  Photosynthesis is tricky! This other process seems relatively straightforward.

I believe this may be a possible viable energy source in the future, but a snowball's chance in a furnace to stop global warming.
                  Well, if an industrial process to convert CO2 to fuel could be realized, I think it might make a dent in global warming, without a need to radically revise infrastructure.

Blessings,
                  Lee

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                    Photosynthesis is tricky! This other process seems relatively straightforward.
                    The mechanism of photosynthesis is not tricky at all the reaction between light and chlorophyll is common in nature.

I said photosynthesis 'like' proces for which there are a number of possibilities where sunlight is used to excite an energy potential and produce energy.

Well, if an industrial process to convert CO2 to fuel could be realized, I think it might make a dent in global warming, without a need to radically revise infrastructure.

Blessings,
                    Lee
                    The math just does not work with the literally massive amount of CO2 being generated by human activity. That is why the pervading view in science is our efforts to prevent global warming are futile, but part of the necessary process of adapting to global warming.
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

That is why the pervading view in science is our efforts to prevent global warming are futile, but part of the necessary process of adapting to global warming.
                      That's simply false, and i have no idea where you got it. The pervading view is that we will almost certainly overshoot our targets, but that any progress towards slowing the rate of warming and the total amount of warming we're committed too will be a strong positive for humanity.
                      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                        That's simply false, and i have no idea where you got it. The pervading view is that we will almost certainly overshoot our targets, but that any progress towards slowing the rate of warming and the total amount of warming we're committed too will be a strong positive for humanity.
                        Your response is a bit emotional and over reacting. I will post references. I believe the 2019 UN report came to these conclusions.

Using CO2 in a process to produce energy requires an energy source, and heads up the only practical energy source is the sun.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-20-2019, 03:01 PM.

Frank

Comment

Your response is a bit emotional and over reacting. I will post references. I believe the 2019 UN report came to these conclusions.
                          Emotional? How can you tell? Seemed perfectly calm to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Emotional? How can you tell? Seemed perfectly calm to me.
                            Calling something simply false without a coherent response is an emotional response.

Yes , anything we do will have a positive effect, but that does not mean it will resolve the problem. I did remotely propose that we should not do everything possible to reduce our carbon imprint and reduce the impact of increasing CO2 output from human sources.
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-20-2019, 03:10 PM.

Frank

Comment

Oxygen is poison!!!
                              Hydrogen dioxide has killed waaaaay more people (especially wimmenfolk, minorities and children[1]) than all those things.

Wow, being insane is hard work!
                              Give it a while. Soon it becomes second nature.

Last edited by rogue06; 09-20-2019, 03:18 PM. Reason: nothing to see here. Sparko is wrong.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment