Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Turning CO2 into fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Like the Lurch . . .
    I do.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I do.
      . . . but in reality I do not believe you agree with The Lurch's view of global warming. Do you accept that the primary cause of Global Warming is human.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

. . . but in reality I do not believe you agree with The Lurch's view of global warming. Do you accept that the primary cause of Global Warming is human.
        Why do we have to agree on everything just to like each other?
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

. . . but in reality I do not believe you agree with The Lurch's view of global warming.
          What does that have to do with liking the guy? He generally seems informed and polite, and I enjoy having him around.

You jealous, bro?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What does that have to do with liking the guy? He generally seems informed and polite, and I enjoy having him around.

You jealous, bro?
            It has to do with the topic of this thread, and whether you are playing adversary two sides to justify your agenda.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

It has to do with the topic of this thread, and whether you are playing adversary two sides to justify your agenda.
              No, I can like the Lurch and still disagree with him on some issues.

And your nutty theory about me "playing two sides to justify my agenda", what, exactly, is my "agenda", oh great wizard?

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                It's based on having interviewed multiple climate scientists over the past decade, and having read the peer reviewed literature on the topic extensively. I'm not sure why calling something false that runs counter to all that qualifies as "emotional".

I have no doubt that you can find some quotes from people who will support your claim. I'm just pointing out that your claim is that they represent the majority of scientists; they simply don't. Look up scientists like Katharine Hayhoe, Gavin Schmidt, Andy Dessler, etc. and see what they're saying about mitigation.

We've got multiple practical energy sources. Geothermal, wind, nuclear, solar (both PV and concentrating), and hydro are all largely carbon neutral, and at least two of those are not dependent on the sun. If we end up building those in excess to our needs, then processes that remove CO2 from the atmosphere could potentially be economically viable.

As for this particular process, i'm not overly excited. Carbon monoxide isn't especially useful for producing fuel. It is, however, an important chemical feedstock that can be used in a huge range of processes, so this catalyst is potentially valuable. For fuel production, copper is a much better catalyst, as it can take CO2 directly to methanol or even ethylene. The issue is that the catalysts are relatively short lived before they get fouled by reaction byproducts, so most of the work has gone into trying to structure copper-continuing surfaces so that this is less of an issue.

There's a rather extensive body of literature on it.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...=1&oi=scholart
                The problem is it is not simply false, but different perspectives on the available evidence and the proposals to resolve global warning. The source I provided described the extreme measures to attain reasonable goals, and I believe it is unlikely that humanity can become united enough to achieve these goals.

Frank

Comment

The problem is it is not simply false, but different perspectives on the available evidence and the proposals to resolve global warning. The source I provided described the extreme measures to attain reasonable goals, and I believe it is unlikely that humanity can become united enough to achieve these goals.
                  I'm perfectly happy to accept that this is what you believe, and i wouldn't have argued against that. But of course, that wasn't what you'd originally said, which i'm more than happy to remind you of:
                  That is why the pervading view in science is our efforts to prevent global warming are futile, but part of the necessary process of adapting to global warming.
                  You called your view "the prevailing view in science." Which it is not.
                  "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Yes, Cow Poke and i are different people with different histories, and therefore undoubtedly have a range of differing opinions on things. But he's also been nothing but straightforward, honest, and friendly to me, and i've got great confidence we'd be able to discuss those differences respectfully whenever we chose to.

Comment

And your nutty theory about me "playing two sides to justify my agenda", what, exactly, is my "agenda", oh great wizard?
                      Yes. Your opposition to Global Warming caused by humans.

Frank

Comment

Yes. Your opposition to Global Warming caused by humans.
                        Where have you seen me oppose this, Shuny? Exact quotes, please.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                          Yes, Cow Poke and i are different people with different histories, and therefore undoubtedly have a range of differing opinions on things. But he's also been nothing but straightforward, honest, and friendly to me, and i've got great confidence we'd be able to discuss those differences respectfully whenever we chose to.
                          Because Lurch doesn't have that "you're such a jackass" attitude.

And ditto!

Comment

Because Lurch doesn't have that "you're such a jackass" attitude.

And ditto!
                            To be fair, it's hard to get all that across with just 'You rang?'...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

But the tone and resonance!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                Yeah, it's entirely possible that i've got it in spades, and am just very adept at hiding it.

Comment